E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Confirms plans for "zero-emissions" vehicle

06-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #23
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Hydrogen is much safer that gasoline...

http://www.hydrogenassociation.org/g...eet_safety.pdf

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #24
monkeyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
...lol, i believe there is a WAYY better solution to fueling cars. Why dont engineers incorporate Electrolysis?????? What electrolysis? its when you run a current through water and separate the hydrogen from the oxygen. We can use the hydrogen as Immediate fuel (rather than storing it in some massive tank in the trunk) and use the oxygen to burn it that is the solution! Making cars run on water. You need electricity so a small gasoline engine that runs a generator would work, but then again... you can use the same energy produced by the electrolysis to run it :P of course there will be wasted energy that goes into heat and friction of moving parts, it'll still be less waste than what we're getting burning gasoline. Just think about it.. recycled power, turbos make more power by basically recycling the heat and exhaust pressures to spin turbines to make more power, of course there is more fuel needed but damnit, if the car runs on water it doesnt even matter, its like one super-zero emission machine! The vapors will be turned back into water which can be used OVER and OVER again. there will be minimal loss if everything is sealed up correctly, u might need some extra bottles of zephyrhills, if you dont have water, use ice, if you dont have ice use lake water, if u dont have a lake nearby, Nature will let you know what to do lol
Wow, that's brilliant... a water-powered car, using electrolysis, maybe with a little battery just to get it started... super clean... you really may be on to something here...

if you have any pencils around, though, you may want to sharpen one, and then work out an energy budget for each step. or just look on wikipedia under perpetual motion machines... but keep on thinking...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
well, if i can get my hands on a small gasoline engine.. for example a go-cart or whatever i'd be more than happy to make that baby run on water hehe. but yeah, it needs to have an alternator.. so maybe a honda civic ( i can take apart the engine w/ my eyes closed )
but yeah, a nice optima battery w/ 700CCA to get the electrolysis running and the alternator should do the rest. As for the fuel lines i can run the hydrogen feed to the fuel rail. Maybe do a dyno test before and after lol

Any financial help will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I don't like the fact every time a zero emission vehicle is touted no one mentions the cost of fuel or MPG.

Great it is a clean car but at what cost?

I suspect hydrogen is more expensive than gas.

I have never seen numbers. Not even for the 7 series.
      06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #27
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
currently i beleve fueling with hydrogen is more expensive
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #28
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

its about time. geez.
      07-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #29
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

nuclear power ----> electrolysis -----> hydrogen for your car....

Now what about the nuclear waste
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #30
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Water----> electrolysis---> water---> electrolysis again---water----> YOU GET THE POINT! lol

however, you still need a nice battery to power up the system when you're first turning it on, Like any other car a ice 800cca battery would get things going, then once the engine is running using the hydrogen, the alternator will be supplying the necessary electricity for the electrolysis to keep going :P This has been done already.. but yeah, NOT completely perfected i guess, its hard to produce enough hydrogen to run a v8... but im sure it wont take much if we had TurboCharged Inline 4 engines w/ electrolysis + gas hybrids.. OR, Geometros haha
Appreciate 0