E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pre-ordered a 2010 335i Coupe / DCT coming???

04-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #45
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Good points, but no, not in either of those businesses...although very tempting in this economy.
I'm glad you have a sense of humor
      04-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #46
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Don't know if it's the same or similar to the lag in the 6AT or not, but I'm guessing you don't have the PROcede v3.2 (for your E90 335i, not the E92 M3 of course)???? Are you sure it's not just the low TQ (especially when <4k rpm) in your M3??? BTW - only 1/2 kidding on that remark, since there's virtually zero lag (and major TQ from 1,500rpm-7k rpm) in a tuned 335i.

I know that the PROcede v3.2 has a "lag fix" for BMW's newer s/w. If the lag you're talking about is specific to the DCT tranny only, then no, I don't know. However, I would be willing to bet that Shiv could figure something out; if not, then hopefully BMW will have an update that fixes the issue in the MY 2010 335i DCT.
The lag I'm talking about is a DCT issue. It's not the "lag" that BMW introduced into the N54.

The DCT tranny has an issue where there's NO POWER at all for about 2 seconds when you step on the gas when going around 15-20MPH. So you have no power when you turn into oncoming traffic at times.

This is the second long thread on the issue. The first thread was a bunch of owners bitching about the lag.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231020
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #47
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

^
I've read about the DCT Lag, however you should never turn into oncoming traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
..The DCT tranny has an issue where there's NO POWER at all for about 2 seconds when you step on the gas when going around 15-20MPH. So you have no power when you turn into oncoming traffic at times.
      04-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #48
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
The lag I'm talking about is a DCT issue. It's not the "lag" that BMW introduced into the N54.

The DCT tranny has an issue where there's NO POWER at all for about 2 seconds when you step on the gas when going around 15-20MPH. So you have no power when you turn into oncoming traffic at times.

This is the second long thread on the issue. The first thread was a bunch of owners bitching about the lag.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231020
Sounds like a PITA for now for you M3 guys, but it also sounds like it only occurs for some ppl when driving their M3 in "normal" mode and not in "sport" mode (which also provides faster shifting). I think BMW will most likely fix it with a s/w update within the coming months. In addition, you and your other fellow M3 owners are still specifically talking about the M3, and not any other BMW with the DCT tranny. I haven't heard of any European 335i DCT drivers mention anything about a "lag" with "no power" in their 335i?????

We need to remember a couple differences here; i.e. the 335i's DCT tranny is not the exact same tranny as the M-DCT; it is a somewhat downscaled version of the M-DCT (most likely in the s/w and shifting logic) AND the 335i's F/I tt N54 engine behaves very differently than the M3's N/A engine, especially at lower rpm speeds. I am not too concerned about this issue for the 335i DCT (if/when it becomes available here in the U.S., hopefully beginning with the MY 2010).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #49
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

I agree. I have a May 2009 expiry... and I'm going to sit tight... and wait.

-Daniel

Quote:
My order will be placed this July or August for a Sept-Nov. delivery (depending on if I do ED or not), so do you really think the economy, MFs, financing, etc. will be any worse for consumers looking to buy/lease a new car in 3-4 months time from now? I highly doubt it.

Gentlemen...if you really didn't know it yet, things aren't exactly getting much better for the auto industry. We will be well into 2010 and possibly into 2011 before the auto mfgr's will become "more comfortable" again.

Really, guys? I'm not sure why a few of you are so confused about this? The simple truth is that my lease was ending at a strange time of the year, imho; i.e. May is right in between '09 and '10 MY cycles, so I simply decided to extend my lease and wait for the newer MY '10 model. In addition, my hope is in fact that the 7-speed DCT tranny will be available for the '10 335i Coupe, since it's already available in the '09 335i AND will be also available as an option for the '09 or '10 Z4. I really don't see what's so strange about waiting a few extra months to get the new model 335i. Personally, I think this is the smartest decision I could have made.

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn View Post
I hope the dollar difference between your 2007 335i and the 2010 335i justifies your need.
For kicks I went to kbb.com. It's like the zillow.com of houses (inflate numbers for the feel good effect)--my non iDrive'd 6-spd shows at over 38k full retail, and over 32k wholesale. Take those numbers to the dealership and they'd laugh so hard you'd hear it on the left coast. 38k for a 2k7 with 11k? A brand-new leftover (though sedan) comparably equipped 335 is 39k--anybody would rather have brand new over used, unless something has drastically changed in human nature....

I turn my attention these days to real profits and losses that are tangible....sold all my RIMM for 58.85 on Fri. I just hope it drops back to 49 so I can buy it back, or, bye-bye forever which as a fanboy saddens me. That was the 2nd time it crossed my exit price since I've owned it from Oct., so I exited with my 34%....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #51
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman21 View Post
^
I've read about the DCT Lag, however you should never turn into oncoming traffic
You got me.

Quote:
Sounds like a PITA for now for you M3 guys, but it also sounds like it only occurs for some ppl when driving their M3 in "normal" mode and not in "sport" mode (which also provides faster shifting). I think BMW will most likely fix it with a s/w update within the coming months. In addition, you and your other fellow M3 owners are still specifically talking about the M3, and not any other BMW with the DCT tranny. I haven't heard of any European 335i DCT drivers mention anything about a "lag" with "no power" in their 335i?????

We need to remember a couple differences here; i.e. the 335i's DCT tranny is not the exact same tranny as the M-DCT; it is a somewhat downscaled version of the M-DCT (most likely in the s/w and shifting logic) AND the 335i's F/I tt N54 engine behaves very differently than the M3's N/A engine, especially at lower rpm speeds. I am not too concerned about this issue for the 335i DCT (if/when it becomes available here in the U.S., hopefully beginning with the MY 2010).
It's REALLY bad when you're in auto mode, but still there when you're in manual mode. An it doesn't matter what engine you have, there's no power being transmitted by the drive by wire system. I'm anxious to see if it happens in the 335 DCT. I believe it's the same tranny with a simplified software (which may be a good thing). Hopefully, they'll have all this worked out by the time its in the 335.

My wife's 335's step is damn good and there's no loss of power when going slow and then trying to accelerate.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #52
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

BMW has already come out to say "there is no market for a DCT in the US" so I'd highly doubt if the 2010s will have it. Perhaps the next generation (in 2012) if their "research" changes between now and then.

I personally think they're wrong, but then again this is an enthusiast board. Most 3er drivers probably wouldn't know the difference, they just know it's more expensive.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #53
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
BMW has already come out to say "there is no market for a DCT in the US" so I'd highly doubt if the 2010s will have it. Perhaps the next generation (in 2012) if their "research" changes between now and then.

I personally think they're wrong, but then again this is an enthusiast board. Most 3er drivers probably wouldn't know the difference, they just know it's more expensive.
So why has BMW officially announced the 7-speed DCT tranny as an option on the new, redesigned U.S. bound Z4 (to be released in May, 2009 as either a 2009 or possibly a 2010 model)?

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #54
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You got me.

It's REALLY bad when you're in auto mode, but still there when you're in manual mode. An it doesn't matter what engine you have, there's no power being transmitted by the drive by wire system. I'm anxious to see if it happens in the 335 DCT. I believe it's the same tranny with a simplified software (which may be a good thing). Hopefully, they'll have all this worked out by the time its in the 335.

My wife's 335's step is damn good and there's no loss of power when going slow and then trying to accelerate.
I always drive in Manual mode via the paddles ALL the time (usually M2-M6), so this is good to know, and yes, I would hope that BMW fixes any DCT tranny issues for the MY 2010...but you never know with BMW????

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #55
Chaiton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

2010 335i Sedan

Any changes for DCT for the 335i Sedan? When should we know? When does the car start production? I'm thinking of just jumping into a late 2009 model.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #56
per
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

i have been driving with the dct tranny fo 2 months , and i am not that happy with how it works.
I have procede only and run the manual maps , and there are tons of lag when using kickdown at 45-55, it feels like driving a rubberband, the gearbox shifts from 6 or 7th gear lands on 5th or 4th where nothing happens, then go down to 4 th or 3d gear and give you a punch in the back, this takes 1-2 sek .
I belive the dct needs some tuning to.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #57
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Sedan

If all I have to do is write a check for $500.00 to pre order my next leased 335....I would do it in a heart beat! That is CHUMP change. On my first one I put a $1000.00 deposit on them to order it. My second I bought off the lot and my third....which willl be in 2 1/2 years will probably be ordered...unless I can find exactly what I want on the lot and make a better deal. I already told me CA I wanted to talk to him about when I should come into to discuss my replacement when my lease is up. LOL! I am really upset I did not get idrive...so...I am anxious to get it on my next car.

So...yeah good for you...however I would like to see it before I officially ordered it but, still good for you! $500.00 is NOTHING to do a pre order.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

what color are you getting for the 2010 model now that they don't offer sparkling graphite anymore?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #59
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
what color are you getting for the 2010 model now that they don't offer sparkling graphite anymore?

are you asking me?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #60
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

I'm asking sflgator but you too now that I see that you have an 08 sparkling graphite.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #61
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
I'm asking sflgator but you too now that I see that you have an 08 sparkling graphite.
Well funny you ask...but, probably one of the blues when my lease is up in Jan 2012...

If I had my way I would have SG with red leather interior..which I think looks awesome.

However if I do blue I want the darker deeper blue....with I guess black interior...FTW!
Appreciate 0