E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My powersteering light came on.....

01-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

My powersteering light came on.....

So after a day or so of driving, after 2.5 weeks off, the car's powersteering light with the exclamation mark came on. A few seconds later, the 'brake' light came on in yellow, and the 'DSC' light with the triangle also came on, and stayed on.....

So I had no idea why this happened, but I tried cranking the steering wheel lock to lock a few times, and it didn't help. Lights stayed on, and now I'm without power steering/active steering.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I thought I remember reading about someone having this issue, but searched and came up with nothing.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

hmm.. check power steering fluid first. Is your steering REALLY heavy? if your PS did crap out, you'd definitely feel the increase in steering force. Also, If your ABS light also came on, it could be a bad brake sensor, though sometimes these codes cause others to light up as well.

hopefully someone else will know more about your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor. All those systems need both to work. It's very common for these to fail.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
hmm.. check power steering fluid first. Is your steering REALLY heavy? if your PS did crap out, you'd definitely feel the increase in steering force. Also, If your ABS light also came on, it could be a bad brake sensor, though sometimes these codes cause others to light up as well.

hopefully someone else will know more about your issue.
Ya my steering is REALLY heavy, like no power steering at all....LOL. Would I be able to check the codes on those things? I should, shouldn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor. All those systems need both to work. It's very common for these to fail.
So how to check to see if they need to be replaced?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!!

So it was the AS(active steering) light that was on, not the power steering light.

I tried resetting the car by disconnecting the battery, but light remained after hooking it back up and starting....??

Next would be just bring it into the shop and get the Active Steering reset using the ISYS/GT1?

Or is the AS unit crapping out and needs to be replaced?

TIA

FML.....again.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bump...

Do you guys know where the AS module is located at on a 2008 E90? Is it in the driver-side wheel well? Looks like a black box of some sort?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So today I decided to give it another shot. I started the car, and obviously the AS light is on in yellow. I first backed out of my garage and onto the driveway. Then I cranked the steering wheel to the right, and to my surprise, the engine shut off....So I was like, whatever, I'll just restart it and then cranked the steering wheel to the left. Again, the engine shut off, so I restarted again and re-center the steering wheel, and the AS light FINALLY disappeared.

All is good now....LOL

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0