E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How about this HP combo

12-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #23
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_BMW_PNW View Post
I havent seen enough evidence that it does this with stock turbo, could be wrong

Not all psi is equal when you upgrade to the PS2 or even PS1
The psi (pressure) is the same, but the temperature is lower on the bigger turbo so their is more oxygen in the same volume. That is where you get the extra power at the same psi for the ps2 vs stock or ps1.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #24
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
The psi (pressure) is the same, but the temperature is lower on the bigger turbo so their is more oxygen in the same volume. That is where you get the extra power at the same psi for the ps2 vs stock or ps1.
Not all PSI is created equal...

The wheel and inlets/outlets are larger, how is it 'the same'?

How is temperature lower on a bigger turbo?
      12-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

Quote:
Actually, when people say you are getting more power from the same PSI, it's because they seem to forget that the same PSI peak is being up in the higher RPM range, where the engine consumes more air and is more efficient also. Yes, the charge will be a little cooler, but that's what the intercoolers are for also.

So a stock N54/55 at 17psi at 4600rpm may be very close in output, but the larger compressor keeps holding pressure higher in the RPM range after that. That's where the output peak is increased.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Pointless to get the GFB if you are on a stock turbo, such a pain to put it in since you have to remove your water pump and tstat.
I kindly disagree, we have had many customers on stock turbos purchase it and found out their stock DV was leaking. It increased their boost response, lowered WGDC, ETC

Obviously on a brand new car it might no do much but as that stock DV becomes weak, it definitely helps restore power. I can say that with a straight face all day.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #27
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
Actually, when people say you are getting more power from the same PSI, it's because they seem to forget that the same PSI peak is being up in the higher RPM range, where the engine consumes more air and is more efficient also. Yes, the charge will be a little cooler, but that's what the intercoolers are for also.

So a stock N54/55 at 17psi at 4600rpm may be very close in output, but the larger compressor keeps holding pressure higher in the RPM range after that. That's where the output peak is increased.
No, that isn't the only reason it can happen. If you ran same boost curve on both turbos, the ps2 would still make more power. It can happen because of being able to hold boost higher, but if you take a smaller turbo that is getting to the edge of its efficiency rating (like the N55 stocker or ps1) and compare it to the PS2, you will get a much lower outlet temp. Yes the intercooler lowers the temp, but it isn't near 100% efficient and you will end up with lower AIT with the larger turbo. This is also a huge benefit of meth/water/nitrous injection.

Quote:
Not all PSI is created equal...

The wheel and inlets/outlets are larger, how is it 'the same'?

How is temperature lower on a bigger turbo?
That is not correct at all, pressure is pressure. It is just a reading, so yes all PSI are equal. Now, that is not all of the equation that we are interested in. The equation is PV=nRT. R is a constant and N is the amount of the substance, so we can take them out for comparison purposes, so PV=T. What we have left is pressure * volume = temp. We know the volume inside the turbo tract is constant, so we can take out volume too. That means if we lower the temp, the pressure will also lower. So the same amount of oxygen is available for combustion at a lower pressure if we lower the temperature. A 20*F drop in IAT's will be an increase of 4% in power at the same boost level.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #28
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
Pointless to get the GFB if you are on a stock turbo, such a pain to put it in since you have to remove your water pump and tstat.
I kindly disagree, we have had many customers on stock turbos purchase it and found out their stock DV was leaking. It increased their boost response, lowered WGDC, ETC

Obviously on a brand new car it might no do much but as that stock DV becomes weak, it definitely helps restore power. I can say that with a straight face all day.
How do we know if DV is leaking? Anyway to diagnose it?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Quote:
No, that isn't the only reason it can happen. If you ran same boost curve on both turbos, the ps2 would still make more power. It can happen because of being able to hold boost higher, but if you take a smaller turbo that is getting to the edge of its efficiency rating (like the N55 stocker or ps1) and compare it to the PS2, you will get a much lower outlet temp. Yes the intercooler lowers the temp, but it isn't near 100% efficient and you will end up with lower AIT with the larger turbo. This is also a huge benefit of meth/water/nitrous injection.

That is not correct at all, pressure is pressure. It is just a reading, so yes all PSI are equal. Now, that is not all of the equation that we are interested in. The equation is PV=nRT. R is a constant and N is the amount of the substance, so we can take them out for comparison purposes, so PV=T. What we have left is pressure * volume = temp. We know the volume inside the turbo tract is constant, so we can take out volume too. That means if we lower the temp, the pressure will also lower. So the same amount of oxygen is available for combustion at a lower pressure if we lower the temperature. A 20*F drop in IAT's will be an increase of 4% in power at the same boost level.
I was referring to psi in making power
19 psi in a stock turbo, is not the same as 19 psi in a PS2 car
      12-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Y View Post
How do we know if DV is leaking? Anyway to diagnose it?
By the time you get to it and get it out (2-3 hrs) you mine as well spend the $130~ just to replace it. It's such an inexpensive upgrade worth every penny once installed.

To answer your question, IDK how to test it but I imagine a pressure test of some sort would be the answer.
Appreciate 0