Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question on OEM 162 Finish

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question on OEM 162 Finish

I am considering buying a new (second) set of 162's for my summer setup, but am a little hesitant because of what I perceive to be a lack of finish durability with my current 162's.

To all those with 162's, what is your opinion on the durability of the finish? For some reason or another they just seem to be more prone to scratches and scuffs than what I am use too, even though I use MF mitt to wash (~every week). The matte finish, which I like, just seems to have a fairly thin clear coat and therefore more easily "damaged". Was wondering how they compare to other BMW or aftermarket wheels.

Appreciate any opinions. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
I am considering buying a new (second) set of 162's for my summer setup, but am a little hesitant because of what I perceive to be a lack of finish durability with my current 162's.

To all those with 162's, what is your opinion on the durability of the finish? For some reason or another they just seem to be more prone to scratches and scuffs than what I am use too, even though I use MF mitt to wash (~every week). The matte finish, which I like, just seems to have a fairly thin clear coat and therefore more easily "damaged". Was wondering how they compare to other BMW or aftermarket wheels.

Appreciate any opinions. Thanks.
Wow, I love mine.
Have you used a Protectant or wheel wax??
You know those wheels face lots of Rough Duty.
I need a new one--rt front after 16,000 miles.

There are a Few other BMW 18' wheels that i like as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Wow, I love mine.
Have you used a Protectant or wheel wax??
You know those wheels face lots of Rough Duty.
I need a new one--rt front after 16,000 miles.

There are a Few other BMW 18' wheels that i like as well.
Don't get me wrong, I love the wheels. Just seems like the clear coat is rather thin (more of a matte finish), than say compared to the wheels on my LR3. Just curious if this is what they are like new, or if the previous owner didn't clean the wheels very often and brake dust, etc has taken its tole. Given the overall condition of the car (almost like new), however, that didn't seem likely.

Was just curious what other owners thought of the finish durability on their 162's. Haven't gotten much of a response, to say the least, so must not be considered an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I just sold my factory set on the used market. They were off of a 2006 330i so the wheels saw at least 5 years of use. One of the factory rims had some mild peeling from the clearcoat. The rest of the wheels were flawless but one wheel had the issues see the picture for more detail.

Last edited by Volasko; 04-17-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0