E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Greatest pet hates when driving?

04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #45
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Never mind stretching the hose round (might scuff the paint!), how about just turning the car 180? It amazes me how many people will just sit and wait for two or three cars while all the nozzles on the other side of the pump are empty.

Something else you must see surely... Cars waiting in two or three lanes at lights, roundabout or crossing with you coming up behind them with all the lights and sirens but none of them dare move forward over the line to get out of your way. Everyone on earth can see you. It's not like there's going to be some multi-car pile up if one of them moves forward to get out of your way.

It's some sort of weird situation where they must not cross the line but there's a copper behind! And I've got to cross the the line! OMG! What should I do?!
The common sense thing to do would be to cross the line (making sure it's safe of course) but the problem is (to the best of my knowledge) that there have been cases where drivers have been prosecuted for doing so having been snapped by traffic light cameras.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #46
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Something else you must see surely... Cars waiting in two or three lanes at lights, roundabout or crossing with you coming up behind them with all the lights and sirens but none of them dare move forward over the line to get out of your way. Everyone on earth can see you. It's not like there's going to be some multi-car pile up if one of them moves forward to get out of your way.

It's some sort of weird situation where they must not cross the line but there's a copper behind! And I've got to cross the the line! OMG! What should I do?!
They've shot themselves in the foot (or more likely some self-important magistrates did) on this one. There were a couple of high profile cases last year where people moved through for emergency services and got made to pay the fine and take the points.
If I rememeber, there was even an evidence photo of a car that was about 3 feet over the line and the lit up ambulance in the same shot and they still f*cked the driver over.

Its happened to me a couple of times recently, I'll not go through a red now no matter how loud their siren is or how much they wave at me.
Wouldn't have thought twice about going through to make way a few years ago.........
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #47
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
There's one that's really feking me off and is increasingly getting worse - People who pay at a Tesco's/Londis etc petrol pump and then go and do their weekly shopping. What a bunch of inconsiderate c***s they are. The one around ours has cars queueing up on the main road because of this.
How about those who only use a petrol pump on the side of their car where the fuel cap is located? I don't honestly think I've been to a station where the hose doesn't stretch around a car to the other side, Tesco even tell you that they do on the friggin' pump! Dip shits.
I wait but the queue is pretty even where I go. In fact, the queue is actually less on my side.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #48
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

I wasn't aware of any case where they had prosecuted someone for moving out of the way of the emergency services.. this is simply wrong!

Surely common sense should kick in with regards to Emergency Services:
- if driver doesn't move, then someone may lose their life.
- if driver doesn't move, then burglar may kill someone
- if driver doesn't move, thief will escape
- if driver doesn't move, then family will burn in fire

However, on the other hand I suppose a small fine would be fine by me if I knew I had possibly helped save someone's life.. Sometimes its for the greater cause right?

But once again, the powers that should be sit in their chairs and continue to baffle me..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #49
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I have to admit, if it was police/ambulance behind me and I had to pull out through a red light.... the first thing I would check is if there is a camera there.

Although to clear it up: to be prosecuted for a camera detected offense (in general, not if there is an emergency vehicle behind you) you must have crossed the solid stop line while the light is red *and* proceeded all the way through the intersection, is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #50
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I have to admit, if it was police/ambulance behind me and I had to pull out through a red light.... the first thing I would check is if there is a camera there.

Although to clear it up: to be prosecuted for a camera detected offense (in general, not if there is an emergency vehicle behind you) you must have crossed the solid stop line while the light is red *and* proceeded all the way through the intersection, is that correct?
No cos the traffic light cameras only flash once to prove you were over the line. I have read people trying to argue they were reversing back yet still got the points and fine. It'd deffo be worth a court appeal though if you got a NIP through for that.

There was a coach going up the A55 this morning and a Police Motorbike appeared behind me I think he got impatient next thing you know blues and twos got us both out of the way and shot off. Did move the coach for me though too

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #51
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
No cos the traffic light cameras only flash once to prove you were over the line. I have read people trying to argue they were reversing back yet still got the points and fine. It'd deffo be worth a court appeal though if you got a NIP through for that.
If it is a multi lane road, can they detect which lane triggered the camera. Or someone just takes a look at the photo to work it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #52
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste133 View Post
I wasn't aware of any case where they had prosecuted someone for moving out of the way of the emergency services.. this is simply wrong!

Surely common sense should kick in with regards to Emergency Services:
- if driver doesn't move, then someone may lose their life.
- if driver doesn't move, then burglar may kill someone
- if driver doesn't move, thief will escape
- if driver doesn't move, then family will burn in fire

However, on the other hand I suppose a small fine would be fine by me if I knew I had possibly helped save someone's life.. Sometimes its for the greater cause right?

But once again, the powers that should be sit in their chairs and continue to baffle me..
All of what you say makes sense in the world where common sense is abundant. Unfortunately we do not live there.

If I am on 9 points and getting 3 more will mean I lose my job and therefore my house/car/family then no way I'm moving no matter what's at stake for anyone else.

Here is one of the articles I remember:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-999-pass.html
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #53
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

You overtake someone on a clear road who's doing 45 in a 60 limit and they flash you, then catch you up when you've slowed to 30 in a build up area, no doubt thinking "that didnt get you anywhere did it!"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #54
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

The crossing of the marked 'stop line' is one that causes much fury within our ranks, and all of it directed at our wired CJS which penalises the decent motorist and someone looking to do the right thing. Given current interpretation of the law and having seen how it has been implemented, I would most certainly advise aginst crossing the line, especially at a junction controlled by red traffic lights because of the risk of penalty to the driver.

Under similar circumstances, guidance to Police Drivers is either to switch off warning equipment (thereby reducing the pressure on driver head to do something) and move off when safe to do so or find an alternative route.

Until the law changes to protect drivers, I certainly wouldn't advocate crossing of the line. Best thing you can do is signal left, slow down and let us figure the way out - keep yourselves safe and legal.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #55
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

People who can't keep a consistent speed on the motorway.

I set my cruise control but always seem to find a driver who one minute is doing 90MPH and shooting passed then 2 minutes later they are down to 60MPH and you have to pass.

During this they often catch you and box you in the inside lane forcing you to adjust your speed because of a slower car in front.

Sometimes I wonder if my cruise control is faulty, but it has happened in every car I own.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #56
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Most people on the M1 - for some reason, the 4-lane section going away from London has actually made things worse, as the middle lane idiots now cruise along in lane 3 at 60mph being overtaken by a numpty at 65mph in lane 4 whilst lanes 1 and 2 are completely deserted, causing a massive queue.

People who don't know national speed limits - there's a section of the northbound A30 in Cornwall (near Polyphant) that goes down a dip with a speed camera at the bottom, and the number of people in the outside lane who brake to 60mph when it's dual carriageway is ridiculous.

People who deliberately hold you up because they're doing 69.5mph in lane 3 on the motorway and won't move over to let you past when there's a gap.
      04-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #57
Triggster
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 M Sport 330D

People who pull out last minute at a junction in front of you causing you slow down or stand on the brakes.

People who drive a lot slower than the limit.

People who brake at every corner, bend, incline, decline, junction or if theres a vehicle coming the opposite direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #58
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Man, seriously.....Just got back from wakefield/ huddersfield...

To all these retarded donkeys on the M1......come on......if you're doing 65......stay the fcuk out of MY fuckin right lane!....I'm fcukin overtaking!!!....had to undertake those fcuks and tailgait which I shouldn't do, if those tw*ts were in the proper lane to start with!....
Appreciate 0