E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tragic news in the USA again

12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #67
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
This is so far from the reality that I live in the US everyday that it is laughable. It's as stupid and insulting as believing that "in the UK 95% of the citizens have only 4-6 teeth" (I actually read that online) . Unfortunately, in the US, just like anywhere else, the loudest things that are heard by the rest of the world will always be the the worst and not entirely true.

And we really don't like Cadillacs here, we did in the 1960's and 1970's, that generation has died out though so that's another false portrait. It's fine that you don't like us, but at least know the real "facts" (unfortunately you are right about SUVs though) .
      12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #68
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
This is so far from the reality that I live in the US everyday that it is laughable. It's as stupid and insulting as believing that "in the UK 95% of the citizens have only 4-6 teeth" (I actually read that online) . Unfortunately, in the US, just like anywhere else, the loudest things that are heard by the rest of the world will always be the the worst and not entirely true.

And we really don't like Cadillacs here, we did in the 1960's and 1970's, that generation has died out though so that's another false portrait. It's fine that you don't like us, but at least know the real "facts" (unfortunately you are right about SUVs though) .

Well I do have more than 4-6 teeth,although I've just had one extracted,which was painful!

The comment about the Cadillacs was very much a tongue in cheek one,and far from a fact

I don't have a problem with most Americans,I certainly don't dislike them,with the exception of the crazies of course,but you get them everywhere,even on here

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #69
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

Well I do have more than 4-6 teeth,although I've just had one extracted,which was painful!

The comment about the Cadillacs was very much a tongue in cheek one,and far from a fact

I don't have a problem with most Americans,I certainly don't dislike them,with the exception of the crazies of course,but you get them everywhere,even on here
I just needed to say that we're all not crazy automatic gun owning Cadillac driving crazies here, and you hit so many prejudices against us that I had to chime in, usually I just keep quiet because I know you can't change people's minds once they are made up so why bother. Most of us are normal and take this latest children slaughter very much to heart, and have hope for tighter gun control AND mental health help here. I'm afraid it's like the war against drugs though, it's neverending and never winning, and most of us can't even come close to the right answer anyway.

And all of my friends that have moved here from the UK have beautiful teeth, so I knew that one was made up
      12-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #70
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]

Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the NRA, criticised politicians who had "exploited" the tragedy in Newtown for "political gain" and took aim at laws designating schools as gun-free zones.

"They tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk," he said.

Mr LaPierre called for a national database of the mentally ill and blamed violent video games and films for portraying murder as a "way of life".

He spoke out against the media for demonising lawful gun owners, and for suggesting a ban on certain types of weapon would be effective.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," Mr LaPierre told reporters
      12-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #71
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post

Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the NRA, criticised politicians who had "exploited" the tragedy in Newtown for "political gain" and took aim at laws designating schools as gun-free zones.

"They tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk," he said.

Mr LaPierre called for a national database of the mentally ill and blamed violent video games and films for portraying murder as a "way of life".

He spoke out against the media for demonising lawful gun owners, and for suggesting a ban on certain types of weapon would be effective.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," Mr LaPierre told reporters

I wish somebody asked Mr LaPierre why the school children killer's first victim didn't know that, jeez, she had LOTS of guns.
      12-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #72
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I think some people need to understand that none of the guns used here where automatics. You CANNOT legally buy an automatic rifle in NJ, CT, or Ny; no sure about the rest of the states. All these weapons where semi-automatics, which means you have to squeeze the trigger everytime you want to fire off a round. A automatic will fire off the clip as long as you hold down the trigger. If you where to ban semi's than then only thing you would have left is bold action rifles and revolvers.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #73
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I wish somebody asked Mr LaPierre why the school children killer's first victim didn't know that, jeez, she had LOTS of guns.
She had 2 hand guns and a rifle. That is not a lot of guns. Plus if she had a large house then she probably kept a gun upstairs, one down stairs, and probably the rifle some where in the bedroom.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #74
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

No offence Delta but you guys do get hung up on the type of gun. I can't speak for everyone over here but I'd say for the majority a gun is a gun. And I'd also say that majority would say a gun is 'a bad thing'. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post.

And I agree entirely with wrickem. We do generalise and stereotype, just like you do. Like everyone does. But I'd say that overall we do like you and I hope the feeling is mutual. We just don't like the guns

As far as the NRA press conference today is concerned, I haven't heard anything as fucked up as that for a long time. The solution to gun killings in schools is gun battles in schools? And of course it's Hollywood films and video games that are to blame.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #75
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
That is not a lot of guns.
Actually that is a lot of guns. In fact apart from The Royal Armouries and a pistol safely tucked inside a policeman's holster I don't think I've ever seen that many guns in the wild.

Oh, just remembered, we do see stuff at airports.

You see the whole different perspective here?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #76
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
No offence Delta but you guys do get hung up on the type of gun. I can't speak for everyone over here but I'd say for the majority a gun is a gun. And I'd also say that majority would say a gun is 'a bad thing'. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post.

And I agree entirely with wrickem. We do generalise and stereotype, just like you do. Like everyone does. But I'd say that overall we do like you and I hope the feeling is mutual. We just don't like the guns

As far as the NRA press conference today is concerned, I haven't heard anything as fucked up as that for a long time. The solution to gun killings in schools is gun battles in schools? And of course it's Hollywood films and video games that are to blame.
NRA has lost it's fucking mind I agree with you there. I mean violence and fucked up people have been around since we all crawled out of the caves. TV and video games where not around when Hitler, Stalin, and their goons where running wild so what can we blame their fucked up behavior on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #77
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

FINISH HIM
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #78
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Actually that is a lot of guns. In fact apart from The Royal Armouries and a pistol safely tucked inside a policeman's holster I don't think I've ever seen that many guns in the wild.

Oh, just remembered, we do see stuff at airports.

You see the whole different perspective here?
Yes because when your house is broken into, in which you are sleeping; a cop will be magically teleported there in an instant to save your ass. Actually your ass will be getting picked up by the coroner's office by the time the cop gets to you. That is if you are quick enough to make a 911 call. And if you live in an inner city you will be rotting by the time they get to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #79
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...nty&id=8758565

There you go lady save her jewelery store from getting robbed and her employees getting possible injured by just fiering off some waring shots. If she wasn't armed then the robbers would be having a fucking field day there.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #80
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...nty&id=8758565

There you go lady save her jewelery store from getting robbed and her employees getting possible injured by just fiering off some waring shots. If she wasn't armed then the robbers would be having a fucking field day there.
Can you really not see that without guns for all - there is no need for guns???
      12-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #81
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsekun View Post
FINISH HIM
wtf??

Quote:
Yes because when your house is broken into, in which you are sleeping; a cop will be magically teleported there in an instant to save your ass. Actually your ass will be getting picked up by the coroner's office by the time the cop gets to you. That is if you are quick enough to make a 911 call. And if you live in an inner city you will be rotting by the time they get to you.
All that may happen in your country Delta because of guns, guns, guns. The bad guy has a gun so you get a gun. Or you get a gun so the bad guy gets a gun. And the police have guns because every other fucker has guns.

Again, no offence mate but guns are so rare in this country. Your scenario is equally rare.

Don't get me wrong, we have violent crime just like anywhere else. Except generally it doesn't involved shooting people. Yes I've got a wife and children in the house but I'd prefer to take my chances with what's at hand than have a society where guns of any kind are readily available. I don't want to have to talk to my children about guns.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #82
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

it's a joke since he mentioned "Mortal Kombat" was the reason why these kids are becoming violent...;...... mortal Kombat? really? that shit was from the 80s....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #83
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
She had 2 hand guns and a rifle. That is not a lot of guns. Plus if she had a large house then she probably kept a gun upstairs, one down stairs, and probably the rifle some where in the bedroom.
3 is lots when all you need is one to get the job done (and wasn't the one he used registered to her, or did they find out otherwise?). A lot of gun advocates like to state that they need guns for protection. She had one and didn't use it because you just can't always keep them handy enough in a real emergency, and face it, who wants to shoot your own son. I feel bad for her, but for a lot of people who own guns, are they really going to be able to use them when they should?

I'd like to see real statistics of the percentage of guns that actually protect their owner that aren't skewed by one side or another.

Just for the record, I am not pro-gun, I am not anti-gun, for me, it's do what you want. I live close to Trenton NJ and work in NYC. If those store owners didn't have guns, or people just thinking they have one, they'd be at the mercy of every robber who had a gun. I don't know what the rational answer is, but I am not sure if it's that every knuckle-head who wants them should have them without a little more checks and balances. I wish I did though because all of these mall, theater, street and school sensless killings are terrible. But I guess there's always car-bombs for the crazy people if a gun can't work for them.
      12-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #84
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsekun View Post
it's a joke since he mentioned "Mortal Kombat" was the reason why these kids are becoming violent...;...... mortal Kombat? really? that shit was from the 80s....
He mentioned Mortal Kombat? I missed that. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0