E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > CCA Driving School Tech Inspection?

10-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

CCA Driving School Tech Inspection?

I've been annoying you guys with first-time trackday prep questions for a few weeks, but now it's getting close. A tight schedule means I'll likely be pulling a late night to sort out the tech inspection myself this week, but still am a little unclear what to look for on a few items.

The OEM brakes have enough meat, but I ended up grabbing some Stoptech street performance pads and a flex hone just in case (not doing rotors to stay SCCA stock). Picked up a bavauto bleeder to pump in some RBF600 too.

Sounds like I won't be able to get up on a lift in time, but have some jacks, stands, and a cold garage floor that are calling my name.

Most seems general, and I know the car is in decent shape from autoX this year, but I'd like some pointers on what to look at specifically for lines 10 & 13-18 on the form found here (http://www.njbmwcca.org/util/get_file.php?file_id=293).

Any tips/ ways to test/ visual OK these bits with basic tools would HUGELY appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red E92 ZSP

A lot of this stuff is purely visual from the tech perspective. If your car is leaking, has bald tires, or creaks, pops, and groans when you turn, it will call attention to these basic wear items. I've never had a tech inspector lay a finger on any of my cars, but the've all been newer cars in excellent operating condition. They checked dates on harnesses, helmet, tires, brake pad thickness, battery secured, and give the car a once over with the hood up.

You'll want to look for grease coming out of the bearings, odd tire wear, glazing or grooving of rotors, belt shrapnel or squealing/squeaking pulleys, and leaks of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
You'll want to look for grease coming out of the bearings, odd tire wear, glazing or grooving of rotors, belt shrapnel or squealing/squeaking pulleys, and leaks of any sort.
No worries on tires, greasing, noises, etc., although when down under last night for the fluid replacement/ pad check I did get a little concerned as I'm relatively new to doing brakes myself. Mind checking out my post here? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899265

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

http://gvc-bmwcca.org/_download/GVC_Tech_Medical.pdf