E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My new e90 325i often has a weird / rought start...

06-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Stab
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2005

My new e90 325i often has a weird / rought start...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but I have been reading here a lot before I made my latest purchase. I drove a E46 31i before, but since last tuesday I am the proud owner of a E90 325i. A huge upgrade I must say

Anyway, it's running great and all, but there is one issue that's bothering me. Sometimes when I press the start button, it is just 'off'. It takes a couple of seconds of cranking before it starts. It's like it tries to start it, but fails to do so for a couple of seconds. Maybe 3-4 seconds tops and then the engine starts to run.

The weird thing is, it starts instantly (within 0.5 sec) when the engine is cold (when it was not used for hours like in the morning) and also when it is hot (when it was just turned off and on again).
It only does this when the car was used like 30 minutes ago and you want to use it again. So when the engine is warm, but not hot. Very weird.

Also, the startup never really failed and it always managed to get it to run. After that it's great. It idles fine at around 600 rpm and simply runs like it is supposed to. The battery is 2 years old by the way, so is unlikely to be the cause. It is also not cranking more slowly, it just takes longer to get it to ignite.

Today I took it to a bmw garage and they connected it to the computer. They checked all the values, of the fuel pump / vanos / electricity / etc. All values were exactly where they should be. The guy simply said 'it is not a problem' and it will run.

Now I really want to believe that, but since I am planning to go on a road trip next weekend, I would like to get it sorted out. Or at least explained

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Or any idea what it migt be? Taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but would like to get some info first.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I'm tempted to say it could be your HPFP on the way out. But then again, no way could 3-4 seconds really be said to be a 'long crank'. Best to live with it and see if it gets any worse with time...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

seems more like a dying crankshaft sensor...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Hacksaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Its amazing how much tossing in a bottle of techron into a tank before a fill up and long run will clear up a lot of this. I usually always recommend folks try that first. Its a cheap sanity check.

Of course this is no substitute for keeping good records and determining when might be a good time to replace the usual suspects as they wear.

Just an idea to toss your way as I have seen it clear up a lot of strange start up and idle issues for people.

'02 BMW ///M3Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6M|TFS CSL TUNE - MSS54HP|CSL Rep Airbox|Euro Headers|StopTech ST-40 BBKs|Kirk 4pt Bar|CF CSL Trunk|GC Race F/R Sways|
Appreciate 0