E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official runner's thread

07-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #23
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Apple and Nike recently released a product just for runners that integrates running shoes and an iPod. There is a little device you stick in your shoe that keeps track of distance, time, calories burned, etc. and wireless sends that data to your iPod nano. You plug your iPod into your computer after each run and it downloads your running data into some running workout training app. Nike wants you to buy special shoes, but I've read different and creative ways people have been using this gadget with their existing shoes.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #24
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
I'm in training too............73 days to go.....:rocks:

What are you training for? Hows the progress in training?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #25
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
I see. Tight hamstrings will also contribute to low back pain. Number 1 cure for LBP in the military. I see it all the time. Since you do have back problems. You can do non-impact eliptical training and swiming to increase your workout.

Ill do some more hamstring stretches... I certainly do have tight hamstrings (runs in the family actually...)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #26
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
Apple and Nike recently released a product just for runners that integrates running shoes and an iPod. There is a little device you stick in your shoe that keeps track of distance, time, calories burned, etc. and wireless sends that data to your iPod nano. You plug your iPod into your computer after each run and it downloads your running data into some running workout training app. Nike wants you to buy special shoes, but I've read different and creative ways people have been using this gadget with their existing shoes.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

I use my head for my calculations while running. Im actually pretty good at the mental math... I time the length of each run, and obviously try to keep to the pace I am shooting for. While I dont doubt that is a cool function, its not something Im going to spend money on...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #27
Fenianz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19

I cant run back to back... Ironically, its because I have some lower back problems due to running. My off days I do strength training though for my upper body and back...

That Tuesday/Wednesday seems like a killer...

I had the 2-3 mile base, and have a relatively short time to train for this (2.5 months).

Mike, are you doing an ironman competition with those as your 'training for training'????

Have ever tried New Balance shoes? They might help you get rid of your lower back problems. When I first started running I used Nike shoes and experienced back problems. I switched to New Balance and never experienced back problems again.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #28
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenianz
Have ever tried New Balance shoes? They might help you get rid of your lower back problems. When I first started running I used Nike shoes and experienced back problems. I switched to New Balance and never experienced back problems again.

Well, believe it or not, at the ripe old age of 25, I also have knee problems. The nike shox are the only shoes that I have run in, and over the years have tried adidas and NB shoes, that limit the impact I end up putting on my right knee.

I have been doing some strengthening excercises for the back and knee, but I think this is going to be a problem Im going to be dealing with for a while...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Well, believe it or not, at the ripe old age of 25, I also have knee problems. The nike shox are the only shoes that I have run in, and over the years have tried adidas and NB shoes, that limit the impact I end up putting on my right knee.

I have been doing some strengthening excercises for the back and knee, but I think this is going to be a problem Im going to be dealing with for a while...
Have you tried going to a runners shoe store and see what shoes that advise? Some places will make you run on a treadmil to see your running pattern to determine what type of runner you are as well as what type of foot you have. This is very important to running especially for long distance and to avoid injury. I would check them out even if it is to verify you have the correct running shoes.
      07-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #30
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, bimmer4me - you can't dream of being a sub 4-minute mile runner yet run those long distances for 6 days a week.

Sadly to say, it also depends on your muscle type - I used to do track back in the days - there are fast-twitch muscle types and slow-twitch muscle types. People with fast-twitch are incredible sprinters while the other make very good cross-country competitors. There are some people in a 'gray area' between these two but not many. If you want to be a 4-minute mile runner, you mainly sprint-train. You also do tons of weight lifting with your legs. Tons. A 4-minute mile (1600m) is pretty much a sprint all the way.

Regardless of whether you want to do cross-country style (long long distances) or sprints, both are healthy methods for cardio workouts.

@ Bavarian - one of the easiest changes you can do to alleviate pain to both your knees and your back is to make sure you are running properly. You have to have good form and good footing. You mention impact against your knees and maybe your back as a problem - perhaps you can solve that not only by getting the best shoes but to change the terrain you run on. Runners have grass, dirt, gravel, sand, rubber, mud, you name it. All vary especially in softness and grip. I find treadmills to be quite funky as they have a peculiar bounce to them - it takes a while to get used to them if you are running on them after running for a while on other terrain - you may have to optimize your shoes.

Running on concrete/blacktop is usually the most punishing to your knees, ankles, and back - you can feel the solidness of the ground reverbrate through your whole body each time you step down. Running on dirt/grass is probably the easiest for people to handle as dirt/grass is pretty soft, lacks bounce (unlike treadmills) and is slightly more slippery allowing your feet/legs to move a little more freely. Since you will lose grip, your mile time on dirt/grass most likely will be a little slower than your mile time on a rubber track field.
      07-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #31
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Squawks,

My knee problem comes from hyperextending it way back in HS... It has gotten better over the years, but I try to keep the impact down when running. I do run on a relatively flat paved trail. I know its not the best impact wise, but in the DC Metro area, there are not much in the way of alternatives... Plus, there is no way I can run the 11-12 miles I am training for on grass/dirt trails simply because they dont exist. Not only that, the instability of the terrain in those places can make my knee problem worse...

The back problem is something I dealt with about 2 years ago, and I am just preventing it from coming back... I have been doing leglifts to strengthen the lower back, and so far so good...

Last edited by bavarian19; 07-17-2006 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #32
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Sorry this thread has turned into my personal physical therapy thread
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #33
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Many back exercises for you to do! http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...sp?muscle=Back
      07-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

That is true, bavarian - grass/dirt terrain is usually uneven and you can easily mess up your ankles, knees and back if you step in the wrong place. I didn't know your condition is that bad, though.

Most highschool tracks are made of soft dirt/gravel mix but I suppose they may be no better than the paved trails you are currently running on. Maybe you should give the treadmill a try if you can accept the indoors conditions and the physics of the treadmill.
      07-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #35
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
That is true, bavarian - grass/dirt terrain is usually uneven and you can easily mess up your ankles, knees and back if you step in the wrong place. I didn't know your condition is that bad, though.

Most highschool tracks are made of soft dirt/gravel mix but I suppose they may be no better than the paved trails you are currently running on. Maybe you should give the treadmill a try if you can accept the indoors conditions and the physics of the treadmill.
Treadmills are just as bad. Use the eliptical instead for non-impact.
      07-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #36
a_moux
fuck around and get owned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Blk 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I joined my hs track team during my freshman year because I wasn't good enough at all the other spring sports (baseball, gymnastics, volleyball) and once I realized that I have potential in that sport I stuck with it for 4 years. Ran middle distance mostly 400, 800 and 1600 on occasion. When I graduated I was in the best shape of my life, but now that I have been out of hs for 4 years I dont have the time nor the motivation to run on my own. Seems like such a drag. to all you guys who are commited to stay in shape.

My PRs in hs:
400m - 51:00
800m - 1:59
1600m - 4:31
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #37
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah NB 825, highly rated by Runner's World. And never buy new sneakers for the event. A pair that's broken in works best.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #38
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #39
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_325Ci
Yeah NB 825, highly rated by Runner's World. And never buy new sneakers for the event. A pair that's broken in works best.

Thats why I bought them now... I figure the amount of miles I have between now and then should make them just about right... not too many miles like my last pair of shox...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #40
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_325Ci
Shoes have to be specific to a person's foot type. Any shoe rated the best will not work for everyone. Here is a good site to help determine your best selection for running shoes. http://www.therunnershigh.com/shoes/wizard/
      07-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #41
Fenianz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Treadmills are just as bad. Use the eliptical instead for non-impact.

Elliptical trainers are pretty good for people taking it easy and trying to prevent knee and foot injuries from running. Treadmills are actually getting better and better. Some new treadmills have eight-elastomer cushioning system that provides comfort and so much cushioning. The stability of the frame construction deck, elastomers all help the treadmill be as cushioned as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #42
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Elliptical trainers are pretty good for people taking it easy and trying to prevent knee and foot injuries from running. Treadmills are actually getting better and better. Some new treadmills have eight-elastomer cushioning system that provides comfort and so much cushioning. The stability of the frame construction deck, elastomers all help the treadmill be as cushioned as possible.
They may be better but still place a heavy load on the knees and thus tearing away at the mensicus which is the bodies version of the shock absorber. He needs to stay clear of treadmills anyway because of his back pain. Elliptical trainer, deep water running and cycling are the best choice for exercises. Rubber tracks also work well to provide better cushioning than the road.
      07-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #43
Fenianz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They may be better but still place a heavy load on the knees and thus tearing away at the mensicus which is the bodies version of the shock absorber. He needs to stay clear of treadmills anyway because of his back pain. Elliptical trainer, deep water running and cycling are the best choice for exercises. Rubber tracks also work well to provide better cushioning than the road.
I believe he's trying to get in shape for the Rock n' Roll Half marathon in Virginia Beach Labor Day weekend. A low impact cushioned treadmill can't hurt when he's not able to jog outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #44
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe he's trying to get in shape for the Rock n' Roll Half marathon in Virginia Beach Labor Day weekend. A low impact cushioned treadmill can't hurt when he's not able to jog outside.
I know what he is doing and this is to supplement his 3 day training to add diversity and improve his cardio. Its the summer anyway so I cannot see any reason not to train outside. Show me the treadmill that you are talking about.