E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Halogen to Euro Xenons..Hartge Lip...now whats next??

09-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
achal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 Prem, Tech, Cold packg

Halogen to Euro Xenons..Hartge Lip...now whats next??

Hey Everyone...

Today FrankQ and myself did this long conversion of Halogen to euro xenons and hartge lip installation....first of all let me tell u that today e90post has given me a great friend..such a wonderful guy..thanks alot Frank u r great person and also thanx to your friend (oliver) another great guy...they worked on my car like they were modding there own car.....:rocks:

1. Halogen to Euro xenon......we did everything that was mentioned in the DIY for this conversion by ADHD and 96vette...and when we tested it worked out great with the left lowbeam error message (which I was expecting) but then wierd thing happend...Driver side Xenon shut down by itself..Angel eyes,turn signal, high beam will work except Xenons. Right side is working fine..so I turn the car off and start back on the lights come on again and within couple seconds the driver side goes off...with a low beam right side error....note that right side is working fine.

I have no Idea whats going on.....Franks friend has suggested that I should try chaging the bulb cause left xenon bulb looks little dull as compared to the right side.....

Please help me in this matter.....

2. Hartge lip Installation.....the installation went smooth as Frank knew exactly what he was doing........looks very good enjoy the pic.

It took 3 people almost 5 hrs. to do the both mods.....making connector was most time consuming.....

Those who have done the Halo - Xenon please advice what am I doing wrong.....

I connected #2 to ground and Connected #5 to #6..what am I missing....it sounds so simple and my right side is working fine but left side goes off after couple seconds....
Attached Images

Last edited by achal; 09-02-2006 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Does it flicker, when you first turn it on? If so your ground is getting a bad connection. If it just turns off without flickering it could be the bulb or the ballast. If it turns on for more then 2 seconds the connections are good. Swap out the bulbs and then swap out the headlights see if the drivers side headlight works with the passenger side plug and vise versa. If both headlights stay on with the working plug your connection or ground is bad.

To bad you already put the car back together. Time to take it back apart. I had to go through the same thing just to realize I was needing to add the ground wire on the passenger side headlight to the ground terminal in the engine bay.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel007

To bad you already put the car back together. Time to take it back apart. I had to go through the same thing just to realize I was needing to add the ground wire on the passenger side headlight to the ground terminal in the engine bay.
Exactly the person I was thinking of when I started to read this!! ^^^^^ exactly what he said bud!!
      09-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
achal
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel007
Does it flicker, when you first turn it on? If so your ground is getting a bad connection. If it just turns off without flickering it could be the bulb or the ballast. If it turns on for more then 2 seconds the connections are good. Swap out the bulbs and then swap out the headlights see if the drivers side headlight works with the passenger side plug and vise versa. If both headlights stay on with the working plug your connection or ground is bad.

Thanx bro..I aded..ground to one of the bolts near the actual ground socket..I cheked it with meter and it was getting a good ground connection.....so both of the wires r attached to the same ground bolt...If i don;t start the car..and turn the lights on it stays on for a long time....but as soon as I start the car..the driver side xenon goes off...

It flickerd first time when I turned it on but it didn't do after that....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Sounds like it may be the bulb or ballast.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Take the bumper back off and remove the headlights.
2. Switch them and plug them in.
3. Start the car.

If the headlights both work on the good plug its your connection, if they don't its the bulb or ballast. This is the easiest way to problem solve.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Eisenmann Racing Exhaust. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
achal
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanx man.....will try it..any more suggestions..keep me posted...I will post when I finish the installation....

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

looks great!!! I will be comverting my US spec xenons to Euros within a month or so... Im hoping to steal Frank as well for the install
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
looks great!!! I will be comverting my US spec xenons to Euros within a month or so... Im hoping to steal Frank as well for the install
More details on the install:
http://e90post.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=982

Achal,
Let me know if you want to meet again to test the bulbs/connections.

AJ,
I'll be glad to help you too.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
achal
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Guys ...

Well something..new...I turn the car on and both bulbs r on....no error..for 20 min. still bulbs r on....finished work came back started the car again....left lowbeam error but still on. drove couple miles ...left lowbeam again....but still on...

So both lights r on and every once a while it throws left lowbeam error....

On the initial start it gives error for right and left and after it gives an error on left side only....sometimes it won't give error at all and sometimes it will pop up in every minute or so......wierd.....

I will try chaging the bulb and will let u guys know...the result...how much should bulbs run for???
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achal
Hey Guys ...

Well something..new...I turn the car on and both bulbs r on....no error..for 20 min. still bulbs r on....finished work came back started the car again....left lowbeam error but still on. drove couple miles ...left lowbeam again....but still on...

So both lights r on and every once a while it throws left lowbeam error....

On the initial start it gives error for right and left and after it gives an error on left side only....sometimes it won't give error at all and sometimes it will pop up in every minute or so......wierd.....

I will try chaging the bulb and will let u guys know...the result...how much should bulbs run for???
well if both lights stay on your DONE!! The conversion is done! you will always get an error! How do u now it the LEFT lowbeam error..I only get one symbol for both! It doesnt tell me right or left error so how does yours???
      09-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
wow!
good work guys!
there maybe theres hope for my halogens then, heck with xenons, lets got straight to euro!

.... btw how much to you guys charge for labor fee can a 2-6 pack do?
Quote:
Hey Everyone...

Today FrankQ and myself did this long conversion of Halogen to euro xenons and hartge lip installation....first of all let me tell u that today e90post has given me a great friend..such a wonderful guy..thanks alot Frank u r great person and also thanx to your friend (oliver) another great guy...they worked on my car like they were modding there own car.....:rocks:

1. Halogen to Euro xenon......we did everything that was mentioned in the DIY for this conversion my ADHD and 96vette...and when we tested it worked out great with the left lowbeam error message (which I was expecting) but then wierd thing happend...Driver side Xenon shut down by itself..Angel eyes,turn signal, high beam will work except Xenons. Right side is working fine..so I turn the car off and start back on the lights come on again and within couple seconds the driver side goes off...with a low beam right side error....note that right side is working fine.

I have no Idea whats going on.....Franks friend has suggested that I should try chaging the bulb cause left xenon bulb looks little dull as compared to the right side.....

Please help me in this matter.....

2. Hartge lip Installation.....the installation went smooth as Frank knew exactly what he was doing........looks very good enjoy the pic.

It took 3 people almost 5 hrs. to do the both mods.....making connector was most time consuming.....

Those who have done the Halo - Xenon please advice what am I doing wrong.....

I connected #2 to ground and Connected #5 to #6..what am I missing....it sounds so simple and my right side is working fine but left side goes off after couple seconds....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
achal
Lieutenant
Rep

well for labor fee..how about dinner in hooters....lol....thats what I gave to Frank...

ADHD -- Mine says left and right separate....but u said it comes for first 5sec. when u start the car and goes away and stays off but mine is popping up every now and then with only left low beam malfunction.....don't know whats going on...but I will try installing new 6000k bulbs on both sides....

Will let u know.....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
well for labor fee..how about dinner in hooters....lol....thats what I gave to Frank...

ADHD -- Mine says left and right separate....but u said it comes for first 5sec. when u start the car and goes away and stays off but mine is popping up every now and then with only left low beam malfunction.....don't know whats going on...but I will try installing new 6000k bulbs on both sides....

Will let u know.....
ehem... didn't you promised to let me borrow the ducati for a month?
hehe.
Yes I'm cheap.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
achal
Lieutenant
Rep

sure....once u finish the install and get rid of all the errors for me....lol.....
Appreciate 0