E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2012 Corvette Grand Sport

01-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

2012 Corvette Grand Sport

I just test drove one of these, and while I was less than thrilled with the C6Z06, I was really impressed with the GS!

The GS felt much more composed than the Z06 power to weight was better matched giving much more driver confidence. The steering has improved over the years and while it wasn't as sharp as the Z4MC I feel that with a good alignment you could get it really close. As far a transmissions are concerned the I would say it's a draw. The Z4M trans is less than perfect(notchy 1-2) and you certainly feel the syncros in the vette however, shifts are precise and swift. Overall ride quality goes to the GS, it's a little more docile when you're just cruising in that it's not as loud and, you feel roads bumps about 20% less than you do in the M. The last area to look at is the engine and man does the GS deliver, it's really fast! On flat stretches of road with low traffic in the M you can floor it and let the S54 sing to it's redline. In the GS there no time for that; It's a brutal burst of acceleration requiring you to focus on what's ahead and grabbing that next gear which comes VERY quickly.

All that to say, I'm certain the GS will be my next car!

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Creepy timing on thread.
I just looked at a 6 speed 11' with 6500 off sticker.

Never thought I would consider a Vette but the bang for the buck is undeniable.

Decent mpg and can carry a buddy and two golf bags.
      01-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

When are you not in buy mode Gonzo???
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Always in buy mode for a solid deal on anything but the banker rarely is.
      01-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Grand Sport is a great car and I could see how you can say that it inspires more confidence in the driver than a Z06 because a Z06 is a car that needs a very experienced driver.

On that same token, let me be the first to say that the Z06 is both in terms of acceleration and handling on a completely different level. I drove a C6 and though it was just another sports car... I drove a Z06 and I thought I stepped out of Shuttle Atlantis.
      01-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

You can't go wrong with the car. I have fallen in love with the vette and in terms of performance, Best bang for buck. The power this car produces is insane.
I got to say, the manual transmission isn't the best(Aka honda S2000) but it will get the job done!

I hope you get the best deal as you won't regret it
      01-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
I just test drove one of these, and while I was less than thrilled with the C6Z06, I was really impressed with the GS!

The GS felt much more composed than the Z06 power to weight was better matched giving much more driver confidence. The steering has improved over the years and while it wasn't as sharp as the Z4MC I feel that with a good alignment you could get it really close. As far a transmissions are concerned the I would say it's a draw. The Z4M trans is less than perfect(notchy 1-2) and you certainly feel the syncros in the vette however, shifts are precise and swift. Overall ride quality goes to the GS, it's a little more docile when you're just cruising in that it's not as loud and, you feel roads bumps about 20% less than you do in the M. The last area to look at is the engine and man does the GS deliver, it's really fast! On flat stretches of road with low traffic in the M you can floor it and let the S54 sing to it's redline. In the GS there no time for that; It's a brutal burst of acceleration requiring you to focus on what's ahead and grabbing that next gear which comes VERY quickly.

I'm curious, I have not driven a 'vette much, (just a quick blast in a ZR1, but I was just on a highway unleashing that crazy engine, and truthfully the engine and the sound is all I remember), I have driven a Z4M and was completely disappointed by the lack of steering feel, (to be fair I was spending a lot of time in my Boxster S, and drove it and the Z4M back to back on the same roads), even the E90 has better steering feel then the Z4.

So, to my question, is it feel, responsiveness, or something else that the 'vette is lacking in your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:

I own both a z4mcoupe and a GS corvette. I can tell you you will never get the vette to handle like the coupe. I have fully upgraded suspension including all solid bushings and drive train mounts. The rigidity just isn't there. When I say "like" the Mcoupe I mean the feel, not the actual performance. Those two things are not necessarily correlated.

That said, I love my vette and drive it more then my coupe, simply because it's hard to give up all that torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Grand Sport is a great car and I could see how you can say that it inspires more confidence in the driver than a Z06 because a Z06 is a car that needs a very experienced driver.

On that same token, let me be the first to say that the Z06 is both in terms of acceleration and handling on a completely different level. I drove a C6 and though it was just another sports car... I drove a Z06 and I thought I stepped out of Shuttle Atlantis.
ZO6 isn't really all that different with exception of the power obviously. The suspensions are exactly the same in the way that matters (geometry not stiffness) Both cars modded with coilovers have the EXACT same suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I'm curious, I have not driven a 'vette much, (just a quick blast in a ZR1, but I was just on a highway unleashing that crazy engine, and truthfully the engine and the sound is all I remember), I have driven a Z4M and was completely disappointed by the lack of steering feel, (to be fair I was spending a lot of time in my Boxster S, and drove it and the Z4M back to back on the same roads), even the E90 has better steering feel then the Z4.

So, to my question, is it feel, responsiveness, or something else that the 'vette is lacking in your opinion?
You didn't drive a Z4M, you probably drove a regular z4, the Z4m has far better steering feel then an e92 or boxter, Ive owned an e90 and still regularly drive them, the difference is very noticeable. The Z4m is widely recognized as having the best steering feel of any bmw.
      01-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

ZO6 isn't really all that different with exception of the power obviously. The suspensions are exactly the same in the way that matters (geometry not stiffness) Both cars modded with coilovers have the EXACT same suspension.

Big power difference! Very big if I may point out. A Z06 is a world class performance car in every aspect... the GS is just another updated Corvette albeit better than the previous versions.
      01-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
i love this car. i had an opportunity to thrash one @ the gm driving event last year @ the nassau colloseum. the car drives so precise and that v8.. yum..
      01-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Big power difference! Very big if I may point out. A Z06 is a world class performance car in every aspect... the GS is just another updated Corvette albeit better than the previous versions.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Do you think +70hp, -90 pounds and a poorer handling car make a "world class sports car"? If so, I have a couple civics I can sell you.

The GS and ZO6 are identical with exception of the engine and frame. It's more then "an updated C6" It's a ZO6 with an ls3 and steel frame, everything else is the same. Specifically, it has the ZO6 drysump (important), differential (important) transmission (important), Multi piston brakes (Important even though personally I put stop techs on) Wide wheels and tires, body panels ETC. The only real difference is the frame and engine.

So for $20k more then a grand sport you get:
The aluminum frame which saves less than 100 pounds and is actually LESS rigid then the steel frame.
An ls7, which gets you 70hp.

Since I replaced the entire engine anyway I couldn't care less about having the ls7. You can buy a crate engine for less than 5k is FAR more powerful and reliable then the oem ls7 (10k purchase price, sell your ls3 for 5, net 5 cost) (mines for 1500hp so it was a bit more)

Or you could shove a carb legal supercharger on the ls3 for $10k INSTALLED have 600whp and laugh at the ZO6s as you fly by having spent less money to get an all around faster and better handling car. (use some of the extra money to put $2k coil-overs on and REALLY run circles around it)

Couldn't care less about the frame, who needs to save 100 pounds with 1500hp? or even 400 hp for that matter. Especially when it's less rigid.

It used to be if you were modding you needed to buy a ZO6 because it had a much better driveline, brakes, drysump, wide body ETC which would cost too much to retrofit. That was the only real reason. Now the only people who have any business spending $20k more on a ZO6 are people who don't want to mod it AT ALL and keep their warranties, or people who want the status of owning a ZO6. Otherwise you would be a fool to buy a ZO6.

Last edited by O-cha; 01-04-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Do you think +70hp, -90 pounds and a poorer handling car make a "world class sports car"? If so, I have a couple civics I can sell you.

The GS and ZO6 are identical with exception of the engine and frame. It's more then "an updated C6" It's a ZO6 with an ls3 and steel frame, everything else is the same. Specifically, it has the ZO6 drysump (important), differential (important) transmission (important), Multi piston brakes (Important even though personally I put stop techs on) Wide wheels and tires, body panels ETC. The only real difference is the frame and engine.

So for $20k more then a grand sport you get:
The aluminum frame which saves less than 100 pounds and is actually LESS rigid then the steel frame.
An ls7, which gets you 70hp.

Since I replaced the entire engine anyway I couldn't care less about having the ls7. You can buy a crate engine for less than 5k is FAR more powerful and reliable then the oem ls7 (10k purchase price, sell your ls3 for 5, net 5 cost) (mines for 1500hp so it was a bit more)

Or you could shove a carb legal supercharger on the ls3 for $10k INSTALLED have 600whp and laugh at the ZO6s as you fly by having spent less money to get an all around faster and better handling car. (use some of the extra money to put $2k coil-overs on and REALLY run circles around it)

Couldn't care less about the frame, who needs to save 100 pounds with 1500hp? or even 400 hp for that matter. Especially when it's less rigid.

It used to be if you were modding you needed to buy a ZO6 because it had a much better driveline, brakes, drysump, wide body ETC which would cost too much to retrofit. That was the only real reason. Now the only people who have any business spending $20k more on a ZO6 are people who don't want to mod it AT ALL and keep their warranties, or people who want the status of owning a ZO6. Otherwise you would be a fool to buy a ZO6.
I am not here too argue, I like Corvettes it's just that if I were to buy one; I definitely know the one I'd choose.

Call me when the GS is at the very top of this list because the Z06 is; I am not here to talk about modified cars because I don't think the OP is either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
      01-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am not here too argue, I like Corvettes it's just that if I were to buy one; I definitely know the one I'd choose.

Call me when the GS is at the very top of this list because the Z06 is;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
Obviously you didn't even bother to read, or read it and realized how wrong you were and are trying to save face, poorly.
      01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obviously you didn't even bother to read, or read it and realized how wrong you were and are trying to save face, poorly.
Do explain please!

Stock for stock; the Z06 still takes a dump on the GS... Not everyone wishes to modify their cars... A stock Z06 has run 10's in the 1/4 with simple drag radials. There is still about 0.5 of a second and another 5 or so MPH difference in trap speeds... I don't know if you are another redneck trying to argue Corvettes here or what but the numbers speak for themselves on every track and in every car test.
      01-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Do explain please!

Stock for stock; the Z06 still takes a dump on the GS... Not everyone wishes to modify their cars... A stock Z06 has run 10's in the 1/4 with simple drag radials. There is still about 0.5 of a second and another 5 or so MPH difference in trap speeds... I don't know if you are another redneck trying to argue Corvettes here or what but the numbers speak for themselves on every track and in every car test.
Right, you failed to read.

Quote:
But again, for about 6k of the 20k you save, a grand sport will be far faster then a ZO6 and have literally every single thing and more than a ZO6 has, run circles around it in the ring, and walk away from it in the 1/4.
      01-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right, you failed to read.

But again, for about 6k of the 20k you save, a grand sport will be far faster then a ZO6 and have literally every single thing and more than a ZO6 has, run circles around it in the ring, and walk away from it in the 1/4.
And you have an M coupe, not a 335i right?

Never mind... going the dangerous route now.

Take Care
      01-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Take Care
I don't think he is a redneck but you are definitely acting like a wanker now.
      01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
You didn't drive a Z4M, you probably drove a regular z4, the Z4m has far better steering feel then an e92 or boxter, Ive owned an e90 and still regularly drive them, the difference is very noticeable.
Ok, we'll just have to disagree, I did drive a Z4M Roadster, (and a Z4 for that matter). Maybe they made some vast improvement during the production run that I am unaware of, but I (and my buddy who was a Z4 owner, prospective Z4M roadster buyer) left completely disappointed by the steering feel in the Z4M, the engine and sound were great.

Quote:
The Z4m is widely recognized as having the best steering feel of any bmw.
I have never, ever heard this. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I don't think he is a redneck but you are definitely acting like a wanker now.
A wanker or just using my head? I just reversed his own logic on him... but I am not here to argue which is why I said I'll drop it.
      01-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Take Care
With the corvette you are talking about identical cars, from the interior to the suspension to body track width wheelbase and so on. The 335 and Mcoupe are totally different cars, you know this though and as gonzo said, you're just being a wanker.

However FYI, I did have a 335, was a good car and the cheapness of modding it is what drew me to it. However, not being able to lap it on track and the horrible reliability were deal breakers.

Quote:
A wanker or just using my head? I just reversed his own logic on him... but I am not here to argue which is why I said I'll drop it.
Nope, you're still just grasping at straws trying to prove to yourself that you were not totally and completely wrong. It's entertaining actually, please keep digging.

Quote:
Ok, we'll just have to disagree, I did drive a Z4M Roadster, (and a Z4 for that matter). Maybe they made some vast improvement during the production run that I am unaware of, but I (and my buddy who was a Z4 owner, prospective Z4M roadster buyer) left completely disappointed by the steering feel in the Z4M, the engine and sound were great.
Oh, I apologize, I was referring to the coupe. I recommend you go drive a coupe so you understand why I thought you were insane. It has over double the rigidity (past super car levels) of the convertible which has about the same as an e46 M3 (which is less then the new e90s). This makes a canyon sized difference in steering response. Edit: also try and drive a roadster with a strut bar equipped, that also makes a very surprising improvement.

Last edited by O-cha; 01-04-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:

I have never, ever heard this. Ever.
you really need to drive a z4m coupe to get it.
      01-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #22
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

did you test drove the 2012 z06 or the pre 2012 model. i was always under the impression that the new z06 would easily out handle the gs by a long shot.

Quote:

Appreciate 0