E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90post members' efforts help recover stolen 335i

10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #45
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybsbl04 View Post
So this is a never-ending, bizarre story:

2PM Yesterday:

I got into contact with the owners and notified that their car had been sitting in front of my building for two weeks, untouched. They were ecstatic to say the least. TO make a long story short, the owners' son had the car while in college at Boston and made a road trip to visit his friend in NYC. He had it parked outside, and a few hours later it was gone, stolen. They arranged to have him take a bus from Boston to NYC this friday to get the car as the insurance company overnighted him the keys.

9PM:

I come back from a late dinner and see 3 NYPD cars surrounding the 335i, which is now perpendicular on the road, with half of the car up on the side walk, and half in the road. I walk over to the officers and tell them my story, in which they were shocked, but believed me. It appears the thieves came back and tried to swing the car out of the spot they left it in. The car is still untouched and locked. They contacted the owners in California with the phone number I provided and contact the Auto Task Force to run the plates. The car was picked up by an NYPD tow truck and impounded. They think it's a car theft ring that uses frequency duplicators and tow trucks to take and read the wireless frequencies of the remotes.

how do you start the car without the key in the ignition though? isnt it a vin specific "chip"? It's one thing to unlock the car with the frequency, but isn't it another thing to start the car? Can you duplicate the chip or whatever is required to actually start it?

Not saying I don't believe you. Another thing though, if a car is equipped with BMW assists, can't it track its location? I never used it, nor do I have it built in so I'm not sure how they track down people unless given the information.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #46
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

2PM Yesterday:

I got into contact with the owners and notified that their car had been sitting in front of my building for two weeks, untouched. They were ecstatic to say the least. TO make a long story short, the owners' son had the car while in college at Boston and made a road trip to visit his friend in NYC. He had it parked outside, and a few hours later it was gone, stolen. They arranged to have him take a bus from Boston to NYC this friday to get the car as the insurance company overnighted him the keys.

9PM:

I come back from a late dinner and see 3 NYPD cars surrounding the 335i, which is now perpendicular on the road, with half of the car up on the side walk, and half in the road. I walk over to the officers and tell them my story, in which they were shocked, but believed me. It appears the thieves came back and tried to swing the car out of the spot they left it in. The car is still untouched and locked. They contacted the owners in California with the phone number I provided and contact the Auto Task Force to run the plates. The car was picked up by an NYPD tow truck and impounded. They think it's a car theft ring that uses frequency duplicators and tow trucks to take and read the wireless frequencies of the remotes.
Wow. Good job though on following this through. I wish more people would take initiative when they see things that just aren't right. Kudos!
      10-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #47
nybsbl04
Rep
Drives: 03' BM X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyhot e92 View Post
how do you start the car without the key in the ignition though? isnt it a vin specific "chip"? It's one thing to unlock the car with the frequency, but isn't it another thing to start the car? Can you duplicate the chip or whatever is required to actually start it?

Not saying I don't believe you. Another thing though, if a car is equipped with BMW assists, can't it track its location? I never used it, nor do I have it built in so I'm not sure how they track down people unless given the information.

Its a very bizarre story. The officer said that they unplugged the battery and it died after a while, rendering the tracking useless. No one really knows how it was stolen, but they think it was towed from the original spot to the one near my house or someone, somehow knew how to get the car going. No car is invincible.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #48
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep
Drives: your mom wild!

I am assuming this is in uptown E. Manhattan?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #49
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Is it still possible to start the car simply by popping the clutch? Maybe that's how?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #50
vgtek
Cobra Kai
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:

2PM Yesterday:

9PM:

Hey big ups to you, saved that family a big hassle
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #51
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I was going to drive by there tonight too and report back since I drove into the city (NYC) today. Happy you got there first. Good job getting in touch with the owners and notifying the police. I'm sure the owners would have much rather had the car in an impound lot rather than 96st and 2nd Ave.

To be quite honest though, if that car had only been 4-5 more blocks up into the 100s then there would have been substantially more damage. Not to be totally stereotypical, but it is true.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #52
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

How did you find the owners? You had someone run the plates? And how come you just didnt report it as a suspiecious vehicle and have NYPD run the cops? They can run any plates with there laptops cant they?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #53
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Hope they get there soon. Crappy thing is they will be responsible for the tow and impound fees that can be in the hundreds of dollars, just to get their own theft recovery vehicle back.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #54
nybsbl04
Rep

The car is was on 96th and 2nd, not a bad area by any means, and yes if it were parked a few blocks away, it would be sitting on cinderblocks.

Im actually glad its in impound.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #55
nybsbl04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman335 View Post
How did you find the owners? You had someone run the plates? And how come you just didnt report it as a suspiecious vehicle and have NYPD run the cops? They can run any plates with there laptops cant they?
Someone on this board ran the VIN for me and gave me the address of where it was registered. I googled the address and the house was for sale, so I called the broker, who then in turn gave me the # of the car owners, because she knew about the car issue. I talked to the wife and husband and they were thrilled I found them and the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #56
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Awesome job man!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #57
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Probably got drunk at a party or club and someone jacked his keys...

Since the insurance had to overnight him new keys...I would guess he didn't have his original key anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #58
nybsbl04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Probably got drunk at a party or club and someone jacked his keys...

Since the insurance had to overnight him new keys...I would guess he didn't have his original key anymore.
Nope, still had both sets of keys.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #59
minicrazy592
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i RWD

Hmm I wonder how much water got into the inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #60
oilfighter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D

wow... just wow...

good job nybsbl04, big thumbs up for you!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #61
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

i bet that it got towed from behind and rolled all the way there...took off the battery so that alarm wouldn't sound and BMW assist wouldnt work... surprised nobody touched the car for 2 weeks and kudos to the person that solved the "mystery". But if I were the owner, I rather let them take it and get money back...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #62
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Guys,

New here, but outside my apartment, for the past three weeks there has been an AW 335i Coupe with its sunroof cracked open sitting on 96th and 2nd avenue in a no parking zone. It maybe has about 20+ tickets now.

Pictures are attached with the license plate - CALIFORNIA LICENSE PLATE: 6H0J642.

It looks like it has different BMW wheels and tinted windows.

Please help ID this so NYPD can impound the car or contact the owner so it doesn't incur any damage.

Thanks all,

Tom

Dude, you are the Patron Saint of Lost or Stolen Cars. It's people like you that make me remember that this world ain't half bad to live in. May Karma reward you in life.
      10-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #63
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

this should be moved to the NY section
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #64
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
I can't believe so many people actually considered stealing the rims....
almost everyone in NYC is sneak thief
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #65
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

Great job though man seriously!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #66
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
almost everyone in NYC is sneak thief
Except for me I guess. 24 and I have always worked for my own.
Appreciate 0