E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d CBU: BMWNA - you have some splain'ing to do!

08-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
335d CBU: BMWNA - you have some splain'ing to do!

Remember the now defunct Carbon Motors police vehicle concept that was all but ready to put into production? As I recall, the best I could ascertain is that the Fed was too busy bailing out GM and Chrysler will taxpayer monies that it didn't have anything left to lend CM, and their concept withered away on the vine when they couldn't pursue financing for a production facility, (despite numerous commitments from various LEO agencies across the country.)

But get this in case you missed it - CM had a contract with BMW to supply the same 6 cylinder diesel motors from the 335d for these LEO-only vehicles, to the tune of 240,000!
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...power-car-news

So what in the wide, wide world of sports would BMW have done had all those motors experienced CBU like we 10k strong 335d North American owners have been forced to address? We know the M57 is a solid motor in Europe, so what about the NA market has some of these motors experiencing CBU in as little as 30k miles? Low cetane diesel, and/or just low quality overall diesel in the USA?

And check this out now - Boeing has a concept vehicle that they are proposing to fit in the narrow fuselage of their V-22's, called a Badger. Think modern Willys Jeep, but with a V6 turbo diesel off the shelf from Vituri, just like what is in the Ram or Jeep GC. Total number produced could dwarf the CM quarter million easily.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/phantom...-new-age-jeep/

I'm not sure what is more scary - the fact that BMW doesn't acknowledge that there IS an issue, or that as they say, they don't think it's a big deal (despite the recent 4/14 SB detailing BMW dealer CBU intake cleaning,) and that there IS an issue.

They addressed CBU initially back in 2012 with SIB 18.02.12 with new EGR's and DDE mapping to work with them, but it's unclear if those experiencing CBU have had this procedure performed or not.

Why did Boeing select an Italian Vituri (Chrysler/Fiat) diesel over BMW, especially given BMW's experience and willingness to go with CM at one-quarter of a million in quantity? Surely BMW would have had an advantage?

And most importantly - why would I want to put $60k+ on another BMW diesel sedan such as the 328d or 535d, if they haven't solved this issue? How could BMW extend the warranties on the 335i gassers for CBU, but ignore the diesel owners?

As I contend, BMWNA, you have some 'splain'ing to do.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I was told by my SA that the new Diesel engines have a two stage EGR which eliminates the CBU problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychismo View Post
I was told by my SA that the new Diesel engines have a two stage EGR which eliminates the CBU problem.
He lied to you as well, it has a hi low pressure egr it will still cbu...
      08-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Maybe out of 10K 335d's in NA its a small percentage. 3% would be 300. Not sure if its a regional thing either...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I dont think there are going to be that many Badgers. They are expensive and specifically designed for V-22 or similar uses. Now, that could change depending on their usage and popularity. Yes, they might catch on and in that case it would be a shame they didnt use the BMW diesel. Then again, BMW's engine is probably not rugged enough for anything more than a road car or a grocery-getter SUV like the X-5.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

BMW is FULLY aware back earlier this year at the BMW CCA convention @ DFW I addressed this to a BMW official and they stated that there was an SIB but I told him that wasnt my issue; what Im trying to imply here is what are YOU GUYS going to do about it, for free? Needless to say nothing else was discussed.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Carbon motors didn't get the $$ because a foreign company (BMW) would have benefited. It was politically impossible at the time.

Who knows really how it would have worked out with the constant running. BMW may have come up with a more permanent fix.
Appreciate 0