E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clutch Suggestions??

10-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
cubanpapi
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Clutch Suggestions??

Hey guys,

Apparently I ran a bit tough on the clutch, all I did was barely a small burn out, next thing you know, you can smell the clutch from a few cars behind...

Besides that the car had some engine check errors and being is under CPO I just took it in so they check that out. (OBD2 gave me some air and bank 2 sensor error, this was way before the clutch issue came up)

My question though,
Has anyone here ever gotten a new clutch at the stealership? If so, how big was the hole they put in your pocket? Or would I just be better off getting an aftermarket clutch from a performance brand, and doing the change?

What do you guys think would be more cost effective?
(I use the car for regular work/going out driving, not racing.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
what makes you think you need a new clutch? is it slipping?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

not spec
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghines1279 View Post
what makes you think you need a new clutch? is it slipping?
I noticed it slipping a little bit, and after 3 days, just driving the car for about 15 minutes when I get out you can smell the clutch as if it was being burn constantly. On top of that I did notice that the play on the pedal got to a lower location on the pedal, but pretty much the same pressure as before. I don't know what clutch does this have from factory, I do know it isn't the same one as the 328i, I drove one not too long ago and the clutch was as smooth as a feather compared to the one on my car, but I figured that could be cause of the 335i being turbo and the power difference they would have a better performance clutch on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
cubanpapi
Rep

Well this is Hilarious!!!

I just got the call from the dealer, and they said the clutch was wore out, and it needs to be replaced. This will cost me 3 thousand dollars!! WTF is wrong with this people?

So eventually my answer was hell no. It isn't covered under CPO almost nothing is, I've come to that conclusion, and they will take a few days to figure out the other errors the car had besides the clutch... so this means my car has been sitting in the shop sense 8am, and so far they just found out that my clutch was out.... which u can smell 10ft from it when i left it lol..

Brings me down to some other choices,

1. I checked prices online and I can get an ACT street Clutch for around $450-$650 (Some sites have it cheaper then others) but I didn't get to see shipping rates for it. Which shouldn't be too much and I haven't checked ebay yet. This option means I would be buying the clutch and doing the work on it, I have full access to a Honda Dealer Shop where I should have all the tools needed for the replacement.
**update** Just checked Ebay and it has it for $465 buy it now, with a $25 standard shipping rate, and an option to make an offer for the kit, so maybe can bring that down another 30-50 bucks.**

2. I contacted a Broward BMW shop that is on the forum, I forgot the name sense I was just going through sites, but he guy said he would give me a call back with quote in about 10 minutes.

3. I also contacted Mike's BMW in South Miami, which I read it has good reviews, and well I see this place a lot sense I park right in front of it all the time, I work on the corner from it, but they where closing and he asked me politely to give them a call Monday morning and he will have the quote for me.

With these options am still not expending over 1k for this even if I should have to pay a shop. It would be ridiculous to go over 1k for a clutch on a street car. So maybe the shops won't ask for anything over 1k and that way I can delegate the job and not do it myself. (am just lazy..lol)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Let us know what you decide on.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
Let us know what you decide on.
I wont be getting the car back till Monday(Hopefully), and the shops are closed for today, so I guess on Monday I will be getting the quotes also for full replacement and assembly.

If I decide to do it myself, I will have my friend at the shop with me so I'll get him to be camera man and take shots of all the steps, there is a pelican guide on how to do it online which describes very detailed on the process, it really isn't anything out of ordinary except for the use of Torx set.

By any chance anyone here tried the ACT street Clutch series?
Didn't see any reviews on the sites where they are being sold on, thought maybe someone here has tried them, although they are very well known and trusted on quality parts, but sometimes is good to hear some feed back on things..

Will keep you guys posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I have the ACT street and have launched at 4500 rpm over and over cutting 1.6 60fts and pulling 1.2 Gs. Never once did it let me down.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I have the ACT street and have launched at 4500 rpm over and over cutting 1.6 60fts and pulling 1.2 Gs. Never once did it let me down.
Thanks for your feedback man!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
cubanpapi
Rep

Hey guys, just to update on the status of this post.

I received my ACT street series kit already, and I found a shop in south Miami with good rep, and its pretty close to Mike's BMW. They quoted me on a better deal then mike's and on this upcoming Monday I take the car in for the clutch to be replaced. If all goes well I will give you guys the Info on the shop!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
cubanpapi
Rep

Last update on my post, the shop finished with the car yesterday, and I've been driving it normal, the ACT clutch engages super fast, and right at the top, I kept thinking it would engage at the end as I heard in a few posts, but not at all in this case. It is about twice as hard on pressure when it comes to the pedal, I expected a bit more stiff, but it went a bit over my expectations.

Well like I said I would let you guys know about the shop and how they did.

The shop is http://www.ssperformanceauto.com/index.html, it was an 8 hour job, and In my opinion the job couldn't have come out better. The work space was organized and they did a very clean job on it.

My bank account will be in recovery thanks to a traffic ticket from last month, but in a month or two I plan on having them install a Quaife LSD on the car also.
Appreciate 0