E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 335is with "minor" damage - carfax

03-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Cmhasty10
Rep
Drives: 2007 IS250

335is with "minor" damage - carfax

I'm currently looking at a CPO 335is with "minor" damage listed on the carfax. I'm not really worried about but I'm interested in some other opinions. I attached the carfax...

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Car Fax 335is.pdf (1.77 MB, 358 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Cmhasty10
Rep

No advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Well there is nothing attached so what would you like us to do? It's a minor crash and it affects the pricing of the car for resale.. Does it matter to you? For me it does I like buying cars accident free..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Cmhasty10
Rep

The pdf doesnt show for you? I plan on keeping the vehicle for a while so im not necessarily too worried about resale, but I am concerned with the effect a minor accident could have on its reliability. Carfax and the dealer both indicate it was cosmetic and the car is certified. It was a lease by the sales managers son. Im just looking for any input
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Sounds like a good deal.. Trust yourself if you love it buy it

I have a 335is and I love it.. But I really wish I just got a m3.. Going to probably get a m3 when I find the one I want.. But the 335is is a beast and I love it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Vin328IX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmhasty10 View Post
I'm currently looking at a CPO 335is with "minor" damage listed on the carfax. I'm not really worried about but I'm interested in some other opinions. I attached the carfax...

Thanks
The accident was when the car had about 6-7 thousand miles which from reading the report was years ago. It states the maintenance was done which is a plus and you just stated its a CPO. Unless the price is NOT right walk away but if the price is good jump on it I would. Actually you could use that (MINOR) accident in your benefit. Tell them you want the price lower do to that fact and see what they say. I just bought my car 328IX which was CPO and from the literature i read on line about CPO vehicles they have to have a pristine carfax report which is shocking even though it states minor that they are certifying it. It can only mean a small minor 50 dollar dent. On another hand call a good auto body place and let them look it over. Even if they charge you a small fee it might be worth it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

minor doesn't mean shit. that could mean a scratch or a dent. it just had to be reported. if you dont see a problem on the car, it doesnt have one from that incedent.

but take in what joey335is said. the car is awesome but for the price, you can get an m3. and the m3 looks better, will drive better, and sounds better.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin328IX View Post
The accident was when the car had about 6-7 thousand miles which from reading the report was years ago. It states the maintenance was done which is a plus and you just stated its a CPO. Unless the price is NOT right walk away but if the price is good jump on it I would. Actually you could use that (MINOR) accident in your benefit. Tell them you want the price lower do to that fact and see what they say. I just bought my car 328IX which was CPO and from the literature i read on line about CPO vehicles they have to have a pristine carfax report which is shocking even though it states minor that they are certifying it. It can only mean a small minor 50 dollar dent. On another hand call a good auto body place and let them look it over. Even if they charge you a small fee it might be worth it. Good luck.
What you read is not correct about carfax and CPO.
      03-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

any accident record in Carfax.. you will get ROBBED when trading or reselling the vehicle.. if you have the ability to knock off $3k-$4k now.. don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
fl-bimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Coupe M-Sport

Investigate

I would see if you can pull up the police report.

I was looking at a CPO 2012 328i Coupe in Atlanta from a BMW dealer and paid $10 to pull the police report. The "minor" accident on carfax was a 40mph crash into a mailbox, center front bumper and continued onto the lawn and was towed away. That's a 10-20% hit in value in my opinion.

I informed the salesman and he didn't know, just thought it was a dent. He didn't offer a lower price and it's still for sale at the same price...lol
      06-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-bimmer View Post
I would see if you can pull up the police report.

I was looking at a CPO 2012 328i Coupe in Atlanta from a BMW dealer and paid $10 to pull the police report. The "minor" accident on carfax was a 40mph crash into a mailbox, center front bumper and continued onto the lawn and was towed away. That's a 10-20% hit in value in my opinion.

I informed the salesman and he didn't know, just thought it was a dent. He didn't offer a lower price and it's still for sale at the same price...lol
+1

Check to see if all the body panels line up, especially where the damage was. Check door jams, front and rear quarter panels, etc.

Went to look at a 335i sedan the other day and was extremely displeased. I was not informed prior to going to see it that it had front end damage. None of the front lined up at all... front bumper and hood didn't match in color. The front quarter panels didn't fit with the rest of the body. Extremely disappointed. Whoever fixed it did a horrible job.
      10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
346TEXAS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
+1

Check to see if all the body panels line up, especially where the damage was. Check door jams, front and rear quarter panels, etc.

Went to look at a 335i sedan the other day and was extremely displeased. I was not informed prior to going to see it that it had front end damage. None of the front lined up at all... front bumper and hood didn't match in color. The front quarter panels didn't fit with the rest of the body. Extremely disappointed. Whoever fixed it did a horrible job.
I would be wary of buying it, unless it's at the right price. When my M3 was rear ended, I was able to claim about $1k for the loss in value, but when I came to sell it I probably lost more than that. I had pictures of the damage, that was minor, and the repair work, which helped. When I was getting quotes, one garage ensured me they would keep the repair "off the history reports...."

The CARFAX report is always vague and you're relying on the incident being reported at all, and the analysis performed by an adjuster. As said above, if you inspect it and you are happy with it, that's the main thing.

I went to look at an M3 last month at a dealer that had no accident history, and within 90 seconds i found evidence of front end damage and respray and overspray, loose / poor fitting panels and repeated attempts at paint chip and ding / dent repair that my infant children could have done better.

It did drive well and had spotless maintenance records, but then from my visual walk around I could see something was wrong with the history. So I didn't by it, but another guy rolled up five minutes later and bought it while I was browsing the lot. So it's all subjective and personal at the end of the day!
Appreciate 0