E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Retrofit FLA ( High Beam Assist ) -

04-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Exclamation Retrofit FLA ( High Beam Assist ) -

This is a diagnostic guide for DIY high beam assist (FLA)

Please first read & watch this video:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756267

I spent more than 4.5 hours to install this feature last night and had many problems along the way.
The video is hard to follow and you have to really skip back & forward to figure out how the wires were connected.
There is no pin diagram or anything so it took a lot of work to get it right as again, the video was too fast, too vague.

My debugging guide below:

-----------------

Problems / Fixes

Problem:
A. NCS Expert Error when coding FLA: "COAPI-2020 Ecu does not answer"
B. WINKFP error when coding FLA65: "no answer from ECU"
C. INPA - UIF: FLA is missing from hardware list

Reason: Mirror / FLA wiring wrong. Car does not detect FLA
Fix/Possible causes:
A. Wire joins/solders/bridges not making contact properly. Check/repair.
My $10 connectors didn't work so I did the $0 free option.
Stripped the wires, twisted together & electrical taped. Worked.

B. Wiring order is wrong. DIY video is misleading. Green/Orange are in wrong position. Swap them.
If still not working check your other wires. You have made a mistake.

Problem: Vehicle Order (VO) didn't save. $5AC is missing from list when you check again
Reason: VO is stored in multiple ECU. Or you didn't FA_WRITE
Fix: Update your VO in both CAS + FRM + NFRM
Use EXPERTMODE profile
Also execute the FA_WRITE job to each of above

Problem: above is working but: auto high beam doesn't show in cluster
Reason: These ECUs must be reset: CAS, NFRM, KOMBI, FLA
Fix:
NCS EXPERT (EXPERT PROFILE - to reset to factory settings)
F1+F3=e89 chassis
F6 back
F4 - ECU: Pick the first ECU above
F2 = SG_CODIEREN
F3 = start coding
(repeat for the other ECU's: NFRM, KOMBI, FLA)

Problem: all above working, no high beam assist option in idrive
Fix:
NCS Expert code
CAS: CCC_APPL module
Change: VA_LONGDISTANCELIGHT

Now go to idrive - vehicle settings - light - high beam assistant & turn ON.

Problem: How do I use auto high beam?
Press high beam 1 time on stalk. You will see symbol in speedo.
Press one more time to turn highbeam on manually.

Congratulations.
You just saved yourself 4.5 hours.

Last edited by fatjoez; 04-21-2016 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

When you reset your ecus to stock, make sure you untick .man file manipulation in settings so it doesnt write the custom file, it will write the file that is based on your VO back to the ECU instead. I used expertmode to code so I have it ticked, when I want to reset an ECU i untick the box. Good troubleshooting. I want to do this mod, but I've coded so much in the NFRM lol. :P
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
When you reset your ecus to stock, make sure you untick .man file manipulation in settings so it doesnt write the custom file, it will write the file that is based on your VO back to the ECU instead.
Good to point out this one.

For my ncsexpert though by default:
Expertmode profile already has man manipulation off
FSWPSWMAN profile has man manipulation on.

So to reset ECU I use Expert profile
To do custom coding use FSWPSWMAN profile
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
TomTomTuning
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: WTB: G20 M340i

I'm getting ready to do this retrofit, I have all the parts but it's time to do my homework. I also found the video incredibly hard to follow. Could you possible post some sort of diagram showing how I need to wire everything?

Thanks for all the feedback you've posted, I know it will be helpful when I go to install and code everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
I'm getting ready to do this retrofit, I have all the parts but it's time to do my homework. I also found the video incredibly hard to follow. Could you possible post some sort of diagram showing how I need to wire everything?

Thanks for all the feedback you've posted, I know it will be helpful when I go to install and code everything.
I'm happy to help you through it but why don't we make it a collaborative thing by which you post photos of what you're doing step by step and I reply with whatever suggestions I can give.

That way other people can follow it in future too.

I don't have a diagram myself.
Basically what I did was follow the video step by step.
Pausing it and figuring out what was going on.

I'll give you one pointer, the video you see that the wires are tied in knots in some areas.
That's not an accident he's done that to identify which wire joins to which.

The other thing that you should notice is look closely to see which side of the connector the 2 wires are plugged into.
Because in one of the blue connectors you add, there are 3 pins, but only 2 wires go in.
So you need to put it in the right side.

If you look closely at the video you can see the shape/design of the connector to identify which side they went in.

Watch the video slowly and post some photos let's see what we can do.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
TomTomTuning
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: WTB: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
I'm happy to help you through it but why don't we make it a collaborative thing by which you post photos of what you're doing step by step and I reply with whatever suggestions I can give.

That way other people can follow it in future too.

I don't have a diagram myself.
Basically what I did was follow the video step by step.
Pausing it and figuring out what was going on.

I'll give you one pointer, the video you see that the wires are tied in knots in some areas.
That's not an accident he's done that to identify which wire joins to which.

The other thing that you should notice is look closely to see which side of the connector the 2 wires are plugged into.
Because in one of the blue connectors you add, there are 3 pins, but only 2 wires go in.
So you need to put it in the right side.

If you look closely at the video you can see the shape/design of the connector to identify which side they went in.

Watch the video slowly and post some photos let's see what we can do.
I appreciate the suggestions. After I made that post yesterday, I did exactly that. I scrubbed back and forth on the video, until I had a better idea how the wires connected. I created a diagram, but I have not confirmed if it works yet. First I need to resolve an issue with my OEM mirror (thread here). Homelink, Auto-Dim, and Compass are not working (Clown nose blinks). I want to resolve that first before I install the FLA mirror.

Anyway, here is the diagram I created. Hopefully it's easy to understand, but let me know what you think and if you see any errors.

Last edited by TomTomTuning; 08-03-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
fatjoez223.50
      08-08-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Looks good for starters anyway.

The way this thing worked for me was.

1. I wired it how the video looked

2. I tested it and used INPA to detect the modules present in my car.

I found that everything was active but FLA wouldn't show up.
Then I changed the wiring around
(there are only 2 wires so it's not really hard to try different combinations)

Then I found FLA showed up, but my interior dome light stopped working & didn't show up in list of modules

I changed wiring to a 3rd combination, and found something else went missing. The rain sensor or something. Again I was detecting this via INPA which you really need to use because you need to make sure that you get all the modules showing up.

So then I did a 4th combination and all of the modules came online and worked.

Lastly. Small point. I bought these fancy electrical wire crimp connectors.
They didn't work. I ended up twisting the wires and taping them with electrical tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:56 AM   #8
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Example photo of what the UIF module view of INPA software looks like

You can see halfway down there is an "FLA" module.

You should see this in your list when the mirror is wired & connected correctly.

But as I said above, more importantly, you need to count the number at the top "Quantity" and make sure that number does not go less than when you started.

It should increase by 1 when you are done, or more.

Also some guides for general mirror retrofit that helped me are attached

also wires required below
1x BMW Power Steering Reservoir - Genuine BMW 32416767161
4x BMW Bushing Contact - Genuine BMW 61130005197
2x BMW Pin-Contact (02 05mm) - Genuine BMW 61130005198
2x BMW Universal Socket Housing Uncoded (3 Pol) - Genuine BMW 61138377072
1x BMW Universal Pin Terminal Uncoded (3 Pol) - Genuine BMW 61136931929

----
optional & required if you don't have auto dim mirror already
1x BMW Retrofit CableInt.MirrorElectrochromic - Genuine BMW 61120434330
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY - Homelink Retrofit (US - E90).pdf (531.7 KB, 927 views)
File Type: pdf DIY_ The final Homelink retrofit guide.pdf (2.08 MB, 811 views)
File Type: pdf fla Coding issues, please help.pdf (389.9 KB, 1001 views)
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00
      09-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post

I created a diagram, but I have not confirmed if it works yet. First I need to resolve an issue with my OEM mirror

Anyway, here is the diagram I created. Hopefully it's easy to understand, but let me know what you think and if you see any errors.
I am about to do this on a 335xi that currently has Autodim, compass, homelink, rain sensor.

Were you able to confirm that your wiring diagram is correct?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
opjose
Major
Rep

I found it MUCH easier just to buy two pre-crimped BMW wires 61130005197 and just one terminal plug 6113837707. (The YouTube video listing has these incorrectly labeled BTW).

I ran the cables back up to the FZD using the straw trick (worked GREAT!) and just used a pair of small wire tap connectors to hook up the cables to the 14 pin plug at the FZD.

This made more sense than the diagram above and the original video. When I checked the available BMW wiring diagrams (what I could find), Bentey Manual and also the retrofit guide, it seems that unplugging the orange and brown wire at the FZD is not a good idea. At the very least PIN 1 is used for other functions and must remain connected.

The wire colors were not as obvious on my car and it took me a while to find the right plug at the FZD (hint: if you turn the FZD around with the wires pointed up, the right most 14 pin plug is what you are looking for). The colors on my wires were so muted that it was almost impossible to tell orange from brown.

I found the hardest part of all of this was putting the new mirror BACK on, and getting the cover in correctly.

For anyone trying this, removing the mirror involves TWISTING the mirror's mount as if you were moving the hands of a clock with the pivot at the wind screen. The mirror will fall out all by itself once past 40 degrees of movement.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
opjose
Major
Rep

Fatjoez:

I did the retrofit and FINALLY got the coding correct. I see the FLA module in INPA and I can dump the trace file in NCS Expert.

I also get the HBA icon on the instrument panel, and the instruments react as they should.

However my car is throwing codes related to the K-CAN bus and after clearing the codes I am getting:

E0C4 - K-Can Bus Cable Fault - High Beam
E2C4 - Bus Low error rate / CAN physical error
E2D4 - DTC unknown fault

Does this mean I have my camera wires reversed?

Thanks!

BTW: Your steps in this thread helped A LOT with the programming.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Hey Dude. Check the wiring try attaching them differently.

As I mentioned somewhere above, I encountered at least 3 scenarios.

In 1 the FLA was working, but other modules were missing
In 1 the FLA was missing, others were working
In 1 the FLA was working and other modules were working.

So I think first if possible, check if you have the correct number of modules showing in INPA.
So example if you had 25 to start with, you should have 26 now, not less.

Let me know about the number of modules that's the best place to start first.
Because if you have the correct number of modules I would think you wired it right.

If you didn't check the modules to start with then check it now anyway compare it with my screenshot see if there are any missing that you think should be there.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
Hey Dude. Check the wiring try attaching them differently.
Good suggestion.

I had verified and traced the wiring back to the FZD as per the diagram previously posted which I assumed was correct.

Yet I'm sometimes seeing a different number of modules each time I try reading the UIF dump. That would be consistent with the CAN bus errors and the "low error rate" message.

I believe you mentioned that INPA can be used to perform a diagnostic of the camera.

I don't see it in the menu. How do you get to this?

Thanks.

Last edited by opjose; 09-24-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
opjose
Major
Rep

Working FLA and new wiring diagram.

It is all working great now!

The errors I was getting were due to a poor connection on one of the leads.

This cause different errors to appear in the diagnostics.

I rewired the splices to fix the poor connection, which corrected Can-Bus communication.

After clearing all of the codes the car displayed NO errors with the new mirror in place and active.

Some notes on the installation in no particular order:

• I’ve seen some people attempt to splice into the rain sensor wires to connect the FLA CanBus wires. This makes no sense and is in error, since the rain sensor (RLS) uses LIN-BUS not CAN-BUS to communicate with the FZD module.

• One you release the FZD from the roof, if you turn it completely around with the wiring at the top, the 14 pin plug will be on your right.

• You must leave wires 1 and 2 electrically connected to the FZD. Some diagrams and instructions imply that you remove the wires from the plug as a “no-splice” option.

• The “no-splice” diagram I borrowed elements of for my image below, is correct but can be misread to imply a cut or removal of existing wiring.

• High Beam Assist will NOT function until you have VO coded your modules AND performed the “reset to factory” of all related modules, e.g. Kombi, CAS, FRM, FLA, CIC, etc.

• You must activate high beam assist functions via coding, in the FRM, Kombi and CIC modules.

• Mirrors from other vehicles will work. I purchased a mirror from an E-bay seller that parted it out from a wrecked X5. It works perfectly on my 335xi.

• Look at the stamped numbers on the mirrors if pictures are available, to determine if it will be suitable for your vehicle.

• The part/wreck sellers often do not have the right part numbers or may misreport the models the mirror may work on.

• There are many different but electrically identical mirrors that may work for you, however some of the mounts vary in angle, due to differences in windscreens.

• If you search hard you will find sub $200.00 USD mirrors with all of the options you want.

• Plan on purchasing new mount/camera covers, which are inexpensive. On the mirrors I looked at almost all had the catches broken during removal.

• Some E-bay sellers show pictures of mirrors with a rats nest of wiring, that buyers seem to be avoiding. This is a good thing as it indicates the original clips are probably intact. You unclip the rats nest from the mirror anyway.

• To remove your old mirror TURN the base as if you were moving the hands of a clock around the pivot. After 30+ degrees of motion or more, the mirror will fall out by itself.

• It doesn’t matter which way you turn the mirror, clockwise or anti-clockwise. Either works. Likewise for re-installation.

• While you are coding, remove the “8S4 – Decoding Variable Light Distribution” and enable it via coding of the FRM. This makes HBA work even better.
Attached Images

Last edited by opjose; 10-14-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
.:DudoE90:.
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Hello from Croatia
I have E90 320d produced in 2005. and few days ago I installed auto dimming mirror with FLA which I bought on Ebay. Part number is: 9225976 and its took off from E90 LCI.
I made installation with help of many retrofit guides on the internet and successfuly auto dimming is working but I cant get FLA working., I added with NCS Expert $5AC to CAS, FRM and NFRM and reseted CAS, KOMBI, FRM and NFRM modules with coding them with empty .MAN file. Is that correct? Every time I try to connect to FLA module I get error: COAPI-2020: ECU does not answer IFH-0009: No response from controlunit FLA_65 et.
I found info that this error indicates wrong wiring but I 100 times checked and its OK, like in post above... I made twisted wires from mirror to FZD and soldered on FZD wires so poor connection shouldnt be a problem. I even tried to switch places of wires and I get same error in NCS Expert. Does anybody have advice what to try next? I dont know what to do.... Does production date of car can make this problem? Can changing date in VO can help?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:DudoE90:. View Post
Hello from Croatia
I have E90 320d produced in 2005. and few days ago I installed auto dimming mirror with FLA which I bought on Ebay. Part number is: 9225976 and its took off from E90 LCI.
I made installation with help of many retrofit guides on the internet and successfuly auto dimming is working but I cant get FLA working., I added with NCS Expert $5AC to CAS, FRM and NFRM and reseted CAS, KOMBI, FRM and NFRM modules with coding them with empty .MAN file. Is that correct? Every time I try to connect to FLA module I get error: COAPI-2020: ECU does not answer IFH-0009: No response from controlunit FLA_65 et.
I found info that this error indicates wrong wiring but I 100 times checked and its OK, like in post above... I made twisted wires from mirror to FZD and soldered on FZD wires so poor connection shouldnt be a problem. I even tried to switch places of wires and I get same error in NCS Expert. Does anybody have advice what to try next? I dont know what to do.... Does production date of car can make this problem? Can changing date in VO can help?
Most of the retrofits have been on cars produced after 2006.

It could be that you need a later integration level update.

That said the FRM talks to the FZD which in turn talks to the FLA and there is not anything else in the way. The FRM and FZD need to be defaulted after the VO coding.

Once done you should see communication with the FLA.

If you don't see communication after that you have one of the following problems...

Improper wiring
Wrong firmware / integration
A bad FLA / mirror

I would recommend seeing if people have had success with cars of the same vintage as yours to rule out firmware then move on to the other two.

Also defaulting is best done with the expert profile, not with an empty man file.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #17
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Hello from Croatia
if you have fla mirror with round camera, you need to upgrade your coding files because it is require another prog file. also please provide info which wire you've wired additionally to mirror and do no forget to bump zeitkriterium for LCI mirror
      02-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #18
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Most of the retrofits have been on cars produced after 2006.

It could be that you need a later integration level update.

That said the FRM talks to the FZD which in turn talks to the FLA and there is not anything else in the way. The FRM and FZD need to be defaulted after the VO coding.

Once done you should see communication with the FLA.

If you don't see communication after that you have one of the following problems...

Improper wiring
Wrong firmware / integration
A bad FLA / mirror

I would recommend seeing if people have had success with cars of the same vintage as yours to rule out firmware then move on to the other two.

Also defaulting is best done with the expert profile, not with an empty man file.
Thank you very much for reply.
Can you please tell me how to do defaulting in your way? Is that with function SG_RESET? If yes, i tried that already...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
if you have fla mirror with round camera, you need to upgrade your coding files because it is require another prog file. also please provide info which wire you've wired additionally to mirror and do no forget to bump zeitkriterium for LCI mirror
Yes, the camera is round.
You mean update of DATEN files?
Im using BMW coding V3 on VM VirtualBox from this forum and daten files are 55. Date of files inside E89 folder is 23.10.2015. so I dont think thats too old, or can be? I connected 4 wires from mirror to FZD from retrofit tutorial for auto dimming mirror (one is missing but on mirror I dont have that pin so wire would be useless) and auto dimming works great. I only connected two wires for can bus of FLA, smaller connector on mirror with two pins, first pin with wire to second pin on FZD of twisted wires, and second wire on mirror to first wire on FZD, dont remember right colors but im 100% sure thats OK. Anyway I tried to switch their places and didnt work either so I dont think problem is in wiring, there is no much place to mistake.
Can you please explain "bump zeitkriterium for LCI mirror", I did not understand that...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I cant get FLA working.
Your wiring is wrong. Guarantee it.

We had this problem for hours.
We rewired like 10 times in different ways until it worked.

Read my previous posts on this topic.
The way to get it right is to use INPA software to see which modules are active.

When you get the wiring right, you will see FLA module active in the modules list of the INPA software.

If you don't see it yet, you haven't wired right
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #21
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep

Can you please explain what wiring? If I understand correctly, we have only two wires on mirror for FLA to get it working, the can bus wires. So two wires have to comnect to two wires of can bus on FZD, what I did. When I get error first time I switched places of that wires and got same error. How I can try more combinations of connections ifI have only 2 wires and 2 places to connect?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #22
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

ok , so what are first four wires you've connected ? which pins in module and mirror they are connect ?