E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ArmorAll Wipes and California Car Duster

04-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
ArmorAll Wipes and California Car Duster

I got my new 330i recently, and I haven't taken it to the car wash yet - I've done myself so far, every weekend. I love convenience.

ARMORALL WIPES

For the interior, I'm using the ArmorAll wipes - I've using them for almost 3 years in other cars and they work just fine. Anybody that has tried them and has a better alternative? I'm open to suggestions, as I haven't really tried any other wipes. Another question - wipes or no wipes? I just think they're so convenient.

For my car's black leather surfaces I use ArmorAll Leather Wipes (brown cap). For my car's windows (in and out) I use ArmorAll Glass Wipes (blue cap). For my car's dash and other plastic surfaces I use ArmorAll Cleaning Wipes (purple cap).

I also have the ArmorAll Protectant Wipes (yellow cap) for a glossy finish and sun protection for the dash, but haven't used them yet in my new 330i as I don't want to change the "new" look just yet.

I have as well the ArmorAll Orange Cleaning Wipes (orange cap) for removing grease and tough dirt, but haven't have the need to use them yet.

I saw in the ArmorAll website (www.armorall.com) that they have a new product that I haven't seen in the shelves yet - it's called ArmorAll Ultra Shine wipes - anybody has had experience with them yet?

I used to buy the ArmorAll Car Wash Wipes, but they don't retail them anymore - I wonder what happened? They were great for touching up the car a few days after car washing.

CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER

I bought a California Car Duster that has worked great. I travel a lot and leave my car at the airport for a few days, and when I come back is very dusty. In a blink I dust if off with this marvelous brush and leave it like new in no time.

Anybody has had any bad experience with it? I haven't noticed any swirls or scratches.

As a final tip I keep my wipes in a soft cooler in the truck of the car. Is so convenient in case of emergencies (like a last minute interior touch up in case of guest coming up into the car) - I also keep a small vacuum that is powered though the lighter, again for emergencies.

Thanks for any comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
This topic is usually about what works for you and it sounds like it does. I like the 303 Aerospace protectant for my interior trim and they say it's OK for leather although I've not tried that.

I got some micromarring from my CCD and have stopped using it altogether. I'm real meticulous about any scratches and they appeared shortly after I started using the CCD. I leave it to my faithful weekly car washing routine and live with it for about 6 days (the dust). You've got a pretty good reason for trying it though i.e. prolonged airport garage stays and again, if it works leave it alone. If you don't like microscratches keep an eye on it and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Generally, I've heard a lot of negative comments about Armorall products. A couple people have said that it dries out your vinyl and leather. Everything looks great until you stop using it. A lot of people don't like their products because it tends to be overly greasey as well. This is the reason I've stopped using their products.

As for the CCD, I have also heard of the micromarring that pander5 speaks about. I have a jet black 330, so... those microscratches are bound to show up even more. It's all personal preference for all this carwash stuff. When I first started cleaning my BMW, I came here and got a few suggestions. Now I'm completely satisfied with what other's have tried.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i'm not a big fan of armorall products either.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I have heard alot of negitive about Armorall as well and have stayed away from them for the same reason. I have had the best luck with the products from, "Griot's Garage". www.griotsgarage.com. They have a full line of car care products. I have tryed the waxs and polishes and have the power system. I use the leather care, vinal rubber protectant ,(like Armorall but has UV protectant and claims it wont dry thinks out), Speed Shine, micro fiber towels and polishing clothes. You name they sell it for car care and haven't tryed a bad product from them yet. Been using their product for over 6 years on my 1998 Z3 and 2000 Toyota Tundra, (can't live with out a pickup). Both still look like new. Just waxed my new E90 330i and it looks like new.. Oh ya it is new :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
I just bought the CCD and have used it a few times. I will only use it if the car is clean and has been washed recently, to remove dust and tree pollen. If the car is dirty then you may get fine scratches.

I have a friend who uses it on his Corvette Z06 and he swears by it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
difush
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

I am not a fan of Armorall either, the older product does dry up the surface but I think they imrpoved the product some what, I use the leather cleaner but the vinyl protectant still turns into a white haze if left on the dashboard surafce for a while. Well at least its better than Pledge which my crazy friend use on his dashborad...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I use only Zaino products...they are really amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Deathspank
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sparkling Graphite

I stopped usin armorall on the interior due to the hazy film it left on the windows. I think the Texas sun makes it oxidize and leaves a nice thick film like nicotine..... Its fine for my wrangler.. bout it
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
NovaBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 325i 6MT

What about Vinylex?
      06-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i use armorall wipes for my engine. california duster didnt work for me. for my leather care, i use bmw products.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Armor All has been inmroved over the years and it is OK if it works for you. However, there are a lot of better products out there. It also depends on whether you like a glossy look or matte. As far as OTC products, the Meguiars line works very well for interior. They have a vinyl/rubber protectant, an interior quick detailer and a leather cleaner/conditioner. All work very well, I love their Quick Interior Detailer, smells good and leaves a like-new appearance, no shine and non greasy.
Appreciate 0