E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB3 & BMW Performance Power Kit blended?! (PICS Inside)

01-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i, JB/CR

Question JB3 & BMW Performance Power Kit blended?! (PICS Inside)

Hey guys,

I've recently decided to upgrade my ECU with software reprogramming to increase the Turbo Boost and extract more power out of the N54 mysterious Engine.

I found that DINAN is a great solution due to reliability of Engineering/Manufacturing in their products and I wanted to buy the whole Stage 3 Kit which pumps you all the way to 406HP. What I really like about it and think is really logical, is how they upgraded the cooling system with the Oil Cooler and the Air Intercooler...

However, I live in Beirut, Lebanon and I've been told that I have to ship my ECU all the way to the DINAN facility in the US which is something too risky and I won't do it.

I was quite impressed by the JB3 Kit but is it reliable? How many HP does it add? What about the torque?
And I found the Map Switching phenomena kind of weird... How is it done? There are so many maps and it sounds confusing.

However, my car has 45,000 miles on it. I don't wanna put too much pressure on the Engine and would rather upgrade the cooling system if I want to software-mod the ECU; and found that out that BMW Power Kit is a very reliable OEM method, effective in terms of cooling but the added 20HP are not too impressive are they?

I want something more to push me all the way back when I hit the throttle whenever I want it to, and I want an instant response.

So I thought of combining the JB3 and the BMW Power Kit for cooling purposes, but there's a technical issue. The BMW Performance Cooling System doesn't work unless the ECU is specifically reprogrammed for it; and the JB3 doesn't do the job.

Any thoughts of other types/blends of Performance upgrades?

I'm open to all thoughts but please hurry up because I have to make my mind asap...

Thanks!!

Last edited by Aphrodisiac; 01-27-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Obviously you'll need to confirm with the BMS folks, but since the JB3 is not a flash I'm thinking it would work fine with the OEM performance kit. Either that or Terry could make a special version that works with it - it would certainly be worth asking. I like your thinking. Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I've heard of a couple customers running the JB+ and JB3 on top of the BMW performance kit. The BMW flash just adds another psi of boost so its just a mild bump vs. the JB3 which is a much more significant improvement.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Obviously you'll need to confirm with the BMS folks, but since the JB3 is not a flash I'm thinking it would work fine with the OEM performance kit. Either that or Terry could make a special version that works with it - it would certainly be worth asking. I like your thinking. Good luck and keep us posted!
I guess I'm gonna contact them and ask them about the issue...
I just wanted to see if anyone has tried it and has reviews about it!
Anyways thanks mate and I will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I've heard of a couple customers running the JB+ and JB3 on top of the BMW performance kit. The BMW flash just adds another psi of boost so its just a mild bump vs. the JB3 which is a much more significant improvement.

Mike
Mike JB3 vs. BMW Performance Power Kit wasn't the issue I was addressing. JB3 WITH BMW Performance Kit was more the idea.

What I'm trying to say here is that I'm not upgrading the ECU without upgrading the cooling system.

One way of upgrading the cooling system is installing the BMW Peformance Power Kit and I've read that the Temperature does drop considerably which is exactly what I want.

However, the Power Kit comes with a reprogrammed ECU in order for the new cooling kit to work, as opposed to the JB3 upgrade which I have been told is programmed to make the Power Kit's cooling system function.

Guys any suggestions other than JB3 are welcome.
I want something close to the DINAN Stage 3 and I am ready to upgrade the Intercooler/Oil cooler/Air Intake and other components so feel free to post any suggestion
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Who are these mysterious customers ? Are they members of any known forum ? I would love to hear their experiences...

I too am investigating the possibility of stacking the JB3 with my Power Kit...but until one of the tuners does not truly research this (like BMS did when they released a special JB+ for Dinan) I am very reluctant to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Check this out guys, it's a really interesting and well written comparison between Stock and BMW Performance Power Kit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=bmw+power+kit
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodisiac View Post
Check this out guys, it's a really interesting and well written comparison between Stock and BMW Performance Power Kit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=bmw+power+kit
Are you hijacking your own thread ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You can find the questions about performance gains on BMS website for the Jb3.

Yes the system is very reliable. Using the right map for your mods and octane levels (as well as elevation).

If you have any questions regarding compatability, its best to go onto BMS website(www.burgertuning.com) and Email Terry and he can fill you in on what is safe for your application.

Customer service FTW.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
You can find the questions about performance gains on BMS website for the Jb3.

Yes the system is very reliable. Using the right map for your mods and octane levels (as well as elevation).

If you have any questions regarding compatability, its best to go onto BMS website(www.burgertuning.com) and Email Terry and he can fill you in on what is safe for your application.

Customer service FTW.
Alright man thanks, I'll contact BMS as soon as I've made up my mind about what I'm going to choose to tune my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Are you hijacking your own thread ?
No, trying to solve it
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I would suggest getting the BMW Perf kit and stacking the JB+ on it, not the JB3. Set the JB+ at a low level and take it easy for a few weeks. JB+ is easily removed for dealer visits. Surely we will know more soon as a number of members have recently gotten the Perf kit. Eventually you guys should form a club, maybe have your own thread/forum here.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

JB3>Dinan + BMW PPK.........IMO.

If you want extra cooling, you can alway upgrade your oil cooler or get an FMIC?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

I think I'm gonna go for the Active Autowerke XEDE Processor

It's a more reliable way of tuning... Looks/fits cleaner, doesn't push it to the limits like the JB3 and still gives that Extra Power on the throttle, plus I can get it a decent price!

That said I'll have AA Processor, AA BOV, and AA Intercooler ... + um... Active Autowerke Badge on the Rear probably

I don't really care about JB3 having additional Maps... 16 maps are too many... Plus the AA Processor has a USB 2.0 slot for post-buy potential upgrades

What do you think guys?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

more reliable? where do you get your info? Not many people are running active autowerke and its definetely not proven to work with the Performance kit. I would go JB3 way and run map 3 to start with.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
more reliable? where do you get your info? Not many people are running active autowerke and its definetely not proven to work with the Performance kit. I would go JB3 way and run map 3 to start with.
Well honestly that's what I read on a couple of posts but I don't have enough information about it and this is why I created this thread... Why would you go JB3? Have you ever ridden a 335i equipped with one?
Any XEDE users with reviews? Pop up!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Well honestly that's what I read on a couple of posts but I don't have enough information about it and this is why I created this thread... Why would you go JB3? Have you ever ridden a 335i equipped with one?
there is a very large following of the jb+. There are maybe a handful of people who run the AA. JB+ is an easy install/remove vs. the AA, which is a pin out install. Go with the JB+
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
wonsungnabi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335

I would never get anything else but jb3, procede or giac.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
there is a very large following of the jb+. There are maybe a handful of people who run the AA. JB+ is an easy install/remove vs. the AA, which is a pin out install. Go with the JB+
Installation is okay for me because I have already crossed 50,000 miles so no worries for the warranty, I'm gonna keep it installed and ain't gonna remove it.
Do you think I should go easy on my engine because it's already crossed 50,000 miles? Although I'm gonna add an Oil Cooler and BMW Power Kit for the additional radiator and bigger fan, do you think JB3 will be too much power for my engine? And how's it going to couple with my BMW Power Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA 335 View Post
i would be surprised if there was a 1:1 ratio of XEDE to JB3 users (JB3 most likely would crush the XEDE in many ways... msg terry/mike/brad and they will be happy to speak to you)... i personally have GIAC and love it... however if i didnt go GIAC i would have gone JB3...

i have heard VERY little of the XEDE over the last 6 months...

where is your research coming from?!??! these must have been OLDER posts becuase i usually check the forum every night and havent seen XEDE pop up anywhere... except the forsale section...
Yeah you're right there aren't many reviews at all but this one guy from Bahrain once PMed me and told me that he's really happy with his AA Processor and thinks that it's a good substitute for the JB3 because JB3 takes the engine and Turbo Boost to dangerous limits so this is what confused me
Is JB+ the answer?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

1) the AA Active Processor is outdated
2) the "new" AA tune is a clone of another well-known tune using a DB25 connector for the harness. however, the device is tuned by AA. if this is a good thing ? who knows ...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
UberClean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Your in my boat 50k miles and I just needed that extra boost in performance to keep me in my seat, while at the same time taking it a little easier on the engine.. That said IMO definitely go JB+.. put in at default enjoy for a month and then turn that badboy up to 100% like i did yesterday with the solenoid bypass, I think that should solve your problem and its cost effective!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

I would get a used Procede V3 PNP over an Excede....I old PROcedes can be had in the 200-300 range. maybe less now!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:

I guess you are new around here:
there must be more than 75 people using a jb tune for every acive autoworks tune.
And note we jb people are VERY happy and VERY FAST.

Sure active autoworks has a good intercooler - but their tune is not a top tune for our n54 motors.
There are other great intercoolers and other hot performance parts Made by many companies for our cars - you just gotta research ! Note you can run any IC or other aftermarket upgraded parts with any tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #22
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

If u r really nterested in jb go to
www.n54tech.com or email Terry directly at Terenceburger@gmail.com
Terry is the best and will tell you all the facts straight out.

Tell him midelife sent you.
Gooduck
Appreciate 0