E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > How bored are you with your car?

06-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Pick up a motorcycle.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #24
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
Pick up a motorcycle.
Mate - im a biker first and foremost - so dont talk to me about bikes, especially a little R6 kiddies bike!!!!! I used to race superstock, have a GSXR 1000 K8 for the track (fully race prepped) and the new R1 for the road - proper big boy bikes!!!!
      06-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Ive worked bloody hard for everything i own and put up with a lot of shit
Surely not in every job though Steve?

I've been thinking about this recently myself though, and it's been brought up in many a thread. Could it be that our cars are simply too quick for the roads (Porscha will love this one) and that we need slower/smaller cars to get the same feel of thrill but to be able to access it 100% of the time?
I know I don't use the car to it's full capability even 80% of the time, and only when it gets to licence losing speeds does it become exciting.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #26
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
I think there are a number of factors relating to boredom. Familiarity breeds contempt, as the saying goes and Steve makes a very valid point about taking things for granted. It's all too easy to do. I'm often searching around for something to replace my car with and can't reach any conclusions. At the moment I'm pretty keen on the Scirroco R when it arrives, as it's something a bit fresh and different and should be a relatively rare sight on the roads for a while.

But then I drove a fantastic road from Keighley back home after band practice last night, the light beginning to fade and almost empty roads and fell in love with the car all over again! The sound of that straight 6 when you hold it in 2nd and 3rd is so provocative! Anyway...at the moment the car gets a 7. Tomorrow sitting in traffic it'll be down the scale again I'm sure.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #27
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
The sound of that straight 6 when you hold it in 2nd and 3rd is so provocative!
I agree
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #28
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
I think sometimes i forget just how lucky i am and have been to own and drive the cars i have had over the last few years. Ive worked bloody hard for everything i own and put up with a lot of shit to get where i am etc - but equally i have gotten complacent recently and i need to step back and remind myself how fortunate i am compared to most. It always hits me when i stop for fuel as an example and someone walks up to me and tells me how awsome my car is and how its their dream car and if only they could afford one etc etc. It can be quite grounding and humbling. We are all very lucky boys and gals, eh!?
Very true Steve, someone said that our cars are too fast for the roads and i think that is right! at every speed limit in the country our cars are at tick over at most and they get alot more interesting at higher speeds this also goes for fast A/B roads ours cars are so planted at speed you need to go alot faster to make them more interesting for the money the 3 series has got to be one of if not the best handling car around it still amazes me how much more speed you can carry through corners compared to other cars.

A couple of months ago i had a colleagues Alfa 157 for the night the 1.9 diesel, it just hit home how good the 3 series really is in all aspects engine, ride and quality

i look forward to getting into my car everyday im a 10

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixman View Post

I've been thinking about this recently myself though, and it's been brought up in many a thread. Could it be that our cars are simply too quick for the roads (Porscha will love this one) and that we need slower/smaller cars to get the same feel of thrill but to be able to access it 100% of the time?
I know I don't use the car to it's full capability even 80% of the time, and only when it gets to licence losing speeds does it become exciting.
Trix - I know that is true. I've owned a Boxster S (986 putting out about 250bhp), MR2 turbo at 240bhp, you couldn't use them to their full capability at all, how I didn't lose my licence I will never know, yet a lot of cars on here have over 300, the M3s are now circa 400, am I right? Original M3 was no where near that.

To me, my 944 is perfect, it has plenty enough power, handles extremely well and is fun at more or less road legal speeds on the B-Roads, yet will cruise at three figures all day if wanted. It looks distinctive, has presence and has lots of feedback.

Strangely you mention slower and smaller cars, go and compare your E9X 3 Series with the original E21 3 Series the modern one will be a lot bigger all over, will have more sound proofing, more (dare I say this word) driver aids, more gadgets, more everything - then you wonder why it's not fun until you get into 3 figures, you can't have everything Theres always going to be a compromise, in my opinion.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #30
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
The irony here does make me chuckle. When I was younger and could only afford cheaper branded motors or older stuff, I looked forward to the day I was able to afford and run a decent marque with accompanying speed and the ability to stop properly and not kill you outright in an accident with other modern cars.......well here I am.

I do NOT have rose tinted specs. though and never long to return to those type of vehicles. The irony is, I could afford to own both old and new.

Maybe if I couldn't afford a new upto date car then I'd think older ones were the dogs bollocks still.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #31
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Trix - I know that is true. I've owned a Boxster S (986 putting out about 250bhp), MR2 turbo at 240bhp, you couldn't use them to their full capability at all, how I didn't lose my licence I will never know, yet a lot of cars on here have over 300, the M3s are now circa 400, am I right? Original M3 was no where near that.

To me, my 944 is perfect, it has plenty enough power, handles extremely well and is fun at more or less road legal speeds on the B-Roads, yet will cruise at three figures all day if wanted. It looks distinctive, has presence and has lots of feedback.

Strangely you mention slower and smaller cars, go and compare your E9X 3 Series with the original E21 3 Series the modern one will be a lot bigger all over, will have more sound proofing, more (dare I say this word) driver aids, more gadgets, more everything - then you wonder why it's not fun until you get into 3 figures, you can't have everything Theres always going to be a compromise, in my opinion.
Yea, probably. Although things like the Pando 100 have gotten rave reviews, maybe the smaller hot hatches are the way to go lol

I just don't think I could live with the older cars unless they are reeeaally old... and even then I'd want a modern day version of it. Saying that, I have been looking at the very early M3's lately for that very reason, think they still look great outside but really makes it feel old sitting inside the cabin where you spend most of your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #32
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Human nature is to want things you can't have and once you achieve these things you are not satisfied, pretty simple really...

There are a lot of people in this world who would crave for cars like ours. It's just because we have them we get "bored". I for one love my car and for the moment am satisfied. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixman View Post
Yea, probably. Although things like the Pando 100 have gotten rave reviews, maybe the smaller hot hatches are the way to go lol

I just don't think I could live with the older cars unless they are reeeaally old... and even then I'd want a modern day version of it. Saying that, I have been looking at the very early M3's lately for that very reason, think they still look great outside but really makes it feel old sitting inside the cabin where you spend most of your time.
ahhh e30 M3, now were talking mate! thats the only 'old' car i can genuinely say id want to buy! for a cool £29,950

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1069849.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #34
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
This is now an E30 M3 pic thread...

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #35
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
They are gorgeous though, aren't they. Really agressive!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
G33
Colonel
Rep

i think on an e30 i prefer the un-chavved look
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
i think on an e30 i prefer the un-chavved look
My one is better than yours

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #38
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think there are people on here who are just interested in impressing other people. You know "keeping up with the Jones" types!

Not all of course

9 times out of 10 the modern cars have no character for me, I don't like cars with no character and I've learnt that through trying both new and old.

E30 M3 - yes, great car but I would say that, oh and you can pick them up for less than £10K.

It all comes down to what you like, to know what you like you have to try some different things for example I know -

I don't want another -
MX5 (still not sure why I did it the second time, as I can never follow through with things I start anyway!)
MG Midget
Porsche Boxster (bad memories)

I would like another sometime -
Air cooled 911
E46 3 Series coupe, only if it's an M3 in Phoenix yellow though, so don't suppose that counts as I didn't have the M3!

My favourite car I've owned up to yet -
Porsche 944 x2

I wouldn't know any of this if I hadn't tried so many different cars, oh and if you'd have asked me when I had my Boxster if I would say my favourite car in 1-2 years time will be the 944, I wouldn't have believed it.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
G33
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think there are people on here who are just interested in impressing other people. You know "keeping up with the Jones" types!
Not all of course

9 times out of 10 the modern cars have no character for me, I don't like cars with no character and I've learnt that through trying both new and old.

E30 M3 - yes, great car but I would say that, oh and you can pick them up for less than £10K.

It all comes down to what you like, to know what you like you have to try some different things for example I know -

I don't want another -
MX5 (still not sure why I did it the second time, as I can never follow through with things I start anyway!)
MG Midget
Porsche Boxster (bad memories)

I would like another sometime -
Air cooled 911
E46 3 Series coupe, only if it's an M3 in Phoenix yellow though, so don't suppose that counts as I didn't have the M3!

My favourite car I've owned up to yet -
Porsche 944 x2

I wouldn't know any of this if I hadn't tried so many different cars, oh and if you'd have asked me when I had my Boxster if I would say my favourite car in 1-2 years time will be the 944, I wouldn't have believed it.
who are u referring to porka?!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #40
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
who are u referring to porka?!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #41
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No one as such, just think there are some on here, theres some everywhere!

Did I say there was anything wrong with wanting to impress other people??

Not you anyhow as your car is far too individual for all of that! (Personally I love it but imagine that some other people wouldn't)

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #42
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Mate - im a biker first and foremost - so dont talk to me about bikes, especially a little R6 kiddies bike!!!!! I used to race superstock, have a GSXR 1000 K8 for the track (fully race prepped) and the new R1 for the road - proper big boy bikes!!!!
Ummm...ok. Did you think I was making fun of you? hahaha.

And to your big bikes...
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:

Not all of course

Yes, do tell, to whom are you referring 'keeping up with the Jones?'. I would have thought most on here are like myself and couldn't give a flying fuck what others think as to be that insecure is something that definitely leaves with age and wisdom - sure you're mother isn't bothered what others think. If I want a persons opinion, then I'll ask otherwise 'I don't care and they don't matter is my attitude".

Character is subjective in a car and many people would still say that no German car has character nor a Japanese one - who cares in all honesty. I've tried new and old, been there, done that over 20+ odd years and new for me - end of. It's all subjective yet again and the same old argument.

Yes, price has to be taken into account when on limited funds, but then the vast majority of people are when younger, again, been there and done that as have most on here.

Sure you'll get something else in the future which will become your favourite. Feelings evolve - bit like technology really.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #44
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Isn't that the only reason why us lot have bought BMWs? I mean, they ain't very good to drive and they look terrible, i'm only trying to keep up with everyone else.