E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hotel in San Francisco

07-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Hotel in San Francisco

Off for a 2 week fly drive soon and wondered if anyone can recommend a good hotel in San Francisco that's close to the action but does not cost the earth.

Also looking at booking a Sebring Convertable from Virgin for £430 for the 16 days. Anyone have any better deals/ suggestions.

Oh and Palmnuts I looked at a Mustang with Hertz and it was £1000 so forget that!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Good place to start for reviews -

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-...ia-Hotels.html
      07-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I recommend the Hilton on O'Farrell, The St Francis or alternatively the fairmont.

All are good hotels and very central, but they aren't in the budget category..

PS: Its usually cheaper with Hertz to book something 'normal', and then to upgrade it when you arrive at the Hertz desk. If you don't have one, try searching for some general use 'CDP' #s too. They might afford you some savings.

Enjoy the trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Fine then...I'll keep my opinions to myself!

Maybe you should consider a hard-top Mustang which would be a lot cheaper - they're both shit, but the hard-top is the less shit of the two. Anyway, if you're doing a fly drive in the USA then there should only be one car on your shortlist and thats CORVETTE - but then the price really would make you cry!

Hotel wise, I've stayed in the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf which I found to be more than adequate - it seemed like a good area of the city to stay in too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Off for a 2 week fly drive soon and wondered if anyone can recommend a good hotel in San Francisco that's close to the action but does not cost the earth.

Also looking at booking a Sebring Convertable from Virgin for £430 for the 16 days. Anyone have any better deals/ suggestions.

Oh and Palmnuts I looked at a Mustang with Hertz and it was £1000 so forget that!!
Don't get a Sebring! Made the same mistake a few years ago....Never again. Foul piece of tourist shit - you get the idea.

Anyway, rec on hotel - the Adagio - stayed there a couple of weeks ago - a decent hotel, pretty well located and relatively cheap - have a look.

As for cars - go through budget US and you should find a Mustang cheap - I did. Great cars and some of the roads our of town are fab.

Rec- go to Yosemite - amazing place and great roads - and avoid Sacramento area - boring, and narrow minded freaks....

J
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Guys for the heads up, some really good advice. Will hit google now and check out all of the suggestions.

Sebring is off the list!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Get the Michelin Red Guide for San Francisco and choose your hotel(s) and restaurants from there... Make sure to visit Napa and Sonoma Counties while you're there too.

http://www.michelinguide.com/us/cities.html
      07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Get the Michelin Red Guide for San Francisco and choose your hotel(s) and restaurants from there... Make sure to visit Napa and Sonoma Counties while you're there too.

http://www.michelinguide.com/us/cities.html
I used to work for Gallo Wines and they had vineyards in Nappa and Sonoma, was planning a visit for some wine tasting.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Avoid the Ramada on Lombard St. I stayed there a year ago and it was cheap but bloody awful.

Go to 'Mel's drive in' for breakfast and coffee one day, best coffee I ever tasted!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I've stayed in The Orchard Hotel which is number 5 on the trip advisor list and we were very happy with it and the price was reasonable. It was number 2 when we stayed there which is why we had booked it (the #1 was twice the price so we passed on that one).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

In San Francisco, one does not need a car. Just rent one once you are there if/when you want to muck around outside SF. Usually, one can rent a car for $30/day or less.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
In San Francisco, one does not need a car. Just rent one once you are there if/when you want to muck around outside SF. Usually, one can rent a car for $30/day or less.
Good idea. Looking at Hertz, which depot is most central in SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I've stayed in The Orchard Hotel which is number 5 on the trip advisor list and we were very happy with it and the price was reasonable. It was number 2 when we stayed there which is why we had booked it (the #1 was twice the price so we passed on that one).
Will check out the hotel/price....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Avoid the Ramada on Lombard St. I stayed there a year ago and it was cheap but bloody awful.

Go to 'Mel's drive in' for breakfast and coffee one day, best coffee I ever tasted!
Will pick up hire car and visit on the way out of SF
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Last time I was in SF I stayed in the Hilton on O'Farrell and it was nice. I have stayed in better and stayed in worse but it was in a good location, the service was good and it did the job.

Whilst I was there, my colleagues were in the W hotel and really rated it however I don't think it was cheap.

San Francisco is a city vest discovered on foot. Pick up a 3 day metro ticket for about $10 and you can hop on and off the trams and cable cars at will.

Your feet with ache but you will get to see the real city.

If you do want to head out of the city then as the others have said, just hire a car for the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Last time I was in SF I stayed in the Hilton on O'Farrell and it was nice. I have stayed in better and stayed in worse but it was in a good location, the service was good and it did the job.

Whilst I was there, my colleagues were in the W hotel and really rated it however I don't think it was cheap.

San Francisco is a city vest discovered on foot. Pick up a 3 day metro ticket for about $10 and you can hop on and off the trams and cable cars at will.

Your feet with ache but you will get to see the real city.

If you do want to head out of the city then as the others have said, just hire a car for the day.
That's the plan 2 days in SF then off in the car to visit a lot more California.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
That's the plan 2 days in SF then off in the car to visit a lot more California.
As you probably know, the San Francisco area (including the Napa Valley and Sonoma County) is renowned for fine wine and food. A few of the memorable SF-area restaurants that my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed include: Bouchon (Yountville), Cyrus (Healdsburg), Dry Creek Kitchen (Healdsburg), Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant (Forestville), Market (St. Helena), Martini House (St. Helena), Range (SF Mission District), and Redd (Yountville). I highly recommend all of these fine restaurants, but the Chef’s tasting menu with wine pairing at Redd was one of our most memorable dining experiences ever. It’s definitely worth a trip to Yountville to experience Redd Restaurant…

Enjoy your trip!
      08-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #16
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
On the back of the recommendation, also check out this vineyard

http://www.brownestate.com/

You have to join (for free) in advanced if you want to buy anything first but when i was last in SF, I enjoyed the finest bottle of Zinfandel I have even experienced from this place.

Unfortunately, you can only buy their wines direct or from a handful of small local retailers so I have been unable to get a bottle back to the UK.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
As you probably know, the San Francisco area (including the Napa Valley and Sonoma County) is renowned for fine wine and food. A few of the memorable SF-area restaurants that my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed include: Bouchon (Yountville), Cyrus (Healdsburg), Dry Creek Kitchen (Healdsburg), Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant (Forestville), Market (St. Helena), Martini House (St. Helena), Range (SF Mission District), and Redd (Yountville). I highly recommend all of these fine restaurants, but the Chef’s tasting menu with wine pairing at Redd was one of our most memorable dining experiences ever. It’s definitely worth a trip to Yountville to experience Redd Restaurant…

Enjoy your trip!
Will look on a map and see where they are all situated, cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
On the back of the recommendation, also check out this vineyard

http://www.brownestate.com/

You have to join (for free) in advanced if you want to buy anything first but when i was last in SF, I enjoyed the finest bottle of Zinfandel I have even experienced from this place.

Unfortunately, you can only buy their wines direct or from a handful of small local retailers so I have been unable to get a bottle back to the UK.
So much to check out, a vineyard is on the agenda. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Don't know about the hotels, but last trip to florida I booked a Infiti G35 with Hertz however when I got I was able to negiotiate a Hertz Mustang Shelby GT for near enough the same price on unlimited miles! Also the Mustang can carry two suit cases, the Corvette can't
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham09 View Post
Don't know about the hotels, but last trip to florida I booked a Infiti G35 with Hertz however when I got I was able to negiotiate a Hertz Mustang Shelby GT for near enough the same price on unlimited miles! Also the Mustang can carry two suit cases, the Corvette can't
Was going to book a Sebring as half price compared to a mustang then look at an up-grade when I arrive.
Appreciate 0