E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water Leak In My 2007 e90 Sedan...Thoughts? :'(

12-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
isaymarco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

Water Leak In My 2007 e90 Sedan...Thoughts? :'(

In 2010, I noticed a leak in the rear driver's side of my car. After parking it on the street after a few days of heavy rain, the floor of the back seat on the driver's side was completely soaked. Water was streaming in from the lower part of the door. I took it to my local BMW dealership (car was still under warranty) and they told me the rubber tubing along the door had warped and replaced it. Checked it a couple times after the repair and the problem seemed to have gone away.

Fast forward two years...

I've been parking my car on the street for the past month and it rained heavily in the last few days. Yesterday, I noticed a weird smell in my car. Like wet socks. I checked the driver's side back seat and...WHAT DO YOU KNOW: the floor of the car was wet again! However, it's ONLY wet on the driver's side back seat, NO WHERE ELSE.

I tested for a leak by hosing that section of my car down. I aimed the water downwards all along the edge of the door where it might leak through, but I got no results. As far as I could tell, no water even trickled in.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem could be??

Last edited by isaymarco; 12-27-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

i believe if a problem was fixed the warranty is extended on this, at least that was what i was told in regards to my headlights. i would try to get it taken care of as it was a problem that was supposedly fixed.. especially with all the water damage caused by the bad seal. a hose isnt gonna replicate the multi-directional nature of rain to engulf the whole door and find the bad part of the seal. but ya see if the seal got an extended warranty since it was replaced just to be safe, though i dont know how long they would guarantee their work.
hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
isaymarco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

Yeah, I called the dealership and they told me that they DO warranty their repair work...HOWEVER, it has to be the exact same part that's malfunctioning in order for them to replace it (again) for free. If they find anything else wrong with the car or causing the leak, they're going to charge me a $145 diagnostic fee. So pretty much, if I get my car examined at the dealership, I'm taking a gamble.

F@#$ the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

It sounds like the rubber seal (glue that keeps the foam sheet stuck to the metal of the door) started leaking again. The exact same thing happened to me. I thought I'd fixed it properly the first time around (redone the rubber glue, duck tape, etc.). But a year later, it started leaking again... Read the below threads and you'll be able to fix it yourself. It will take you maximum 1.5-2 hours.

I tested it by pouring water on the window. That water then partly pours inside the door. The foam sheet should avoid the water going to the inside side of the door. Then, via the rubber door seal, is leaks inside. I couldn't believe it at first either... But having had to repair it twice, I'm pretty sure that this is your issue as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=m%40rco
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...passenger+door
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=456600&page=2

Last edited by m@rco; 12-28-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0