E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Swine Flu Vaccination

11-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #67
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Prowess, I respect your choice and if I'm honest I'm not convinced over the need for the jab. But as I stated earlier I have the flu jab every year as I'm asthmatic and don't want the potential risk of catching something which could lay me low quite badly. That is the pro of the swineflu jab for me for the same reason. The negative is the fact it has had accelerated testing which could potentially lead to complications later. But on the point you raised before the US swineflu epidemic over 40m people were vaccinated of that 25 people died and 500 contracted the neuroligical problems.

That is small numbers in the grand scheme of things and is also not possible that only one person died from Swineflu because they rolled out the vaccine very quickly, possibly too quickly without carrying out enough testing?

Also I would like to think as with cars, tv's, computers etc etc that modern medicine has also advanced and the possibility of terrible side effects have been lessened.

DXB - Most doctors are rolling out swineflu jabs now for those in the at risk category. If you have asthma you should get a letter offering it you in the next few weeks (at least thats what my GP said!)

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #68
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Possibly impacted. So far as I can see it is not proven.

We take precautions against the impact of car accidents and vaccines are precautions against the impact of dangerous viruses.

We take these precautions (seat belts, crumple zones, airbags) even though we are not 'guaranteed' to get into an accident.

There is no 'guarantee' that we will contract diptheria or polio, but in the UK we have innoculated our children against these things on mass for the last 40 years. Are you saying that is crazy?

Life is a lottery. Serious side effects from the swine flu vaccine will be identical to those from other flu vaccines, which have been used extensively in the last 30 years. The ingredients, with the exception of the specific inert virus type used to stimulate the immune system, will be identical.

This is what the NHS says about the swine flu vaccine:

http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/Vacci...om_the_vaccine

If there was any statistical risk that the vaccine would kill more people than the flu it would not have been developed and licensed and our governments would not be spending millions of £s distributing it.

As to your mercury point. All sorts of vaccines have contained a mercury compound as a preservative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4472485.stm

As you can see this is being phased out for children and pregnant women, who are the only people at any potential risk from mercury at these levels. Even though no causal link to autism has been established:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal

In the UK the swine flu virus will be available free of this compound for those risk groups.

http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/Vacci...o_are_pregnant

As said, you are entitled to your opinion. I'm specifically responding to each of your posts because I feel that they contain disinformation and because I personally believe in the general principles of vaccination. However, you are entitled to make your own decisions on this and I respect that absolutely

Personally I'm not rushing to get the swine flu vaccine because I am less convinced that there is a long term epidemiological argument for it as a method of virus control. There are plenty of other things that are far more likely to kill me than swine flu, so I'm not convinced that I need to worry just yet.
I have no intention of providing disinformation nor do I think I posted any. However the point is that there is a possibility of side effect with any vaccine. You must weigh the flu against the vaccine and see which you would rather have. I have a small chance of getting the flu and a small possible chance of a side effect from the vaccine. So I choose to not get the vaccine and take precautions against the flu. Its a personal choice that could have consequences either way. We agree on that.

And as for the car analogy, billions of people drive each day with an accident occurring every few seconds. However the flu has not spread to billions of people but its on a much smaller scale. Airbags and seatbelts are necessary given the scale. If a epidemic broke out then a vaccine might be more plausible if many people were dying.

Many people die every year from the regular flu strains. Im looking at the odds. Given the small scale of the flu, given that I have never been sick, and that the flu or swine flu isnt fatal in most, I see no reason to inject myself with artificial chemicals. Even if there were no side effects, no man made chemicals go in me whether from vaccine or steroids in the food I eat.

All in a biological viewpoint, we have to understand that as much as we pretend humans are some big special creatures, we are just primates in the evolutionary order of our ecosystem. Most humans eat other creatures, and the virus's and cancers eat us. We will always be dying of something, best just to live and enjoy in whatever why you see fit.

Also, everyone on this forum has access to the internet. So they can read about the flu, its consequences, and the vaccine with its possible side effects. There is no reason not to make an informed decision. My brother had the swine flu and is fine. My family members have had the regular flu and are fine. Ive never been sick which I attribute to my healthy lifestyle. So, for me, getting a vaccine with chemicals that I dont feel should be in my body, for a flu im probably not gonna get is not what I want. Most people who die from swine flu had other conditions. Im in top shape, even if I got the flu for the first time, I doubt it would be fatal.

I think we both agree that its a personal choice and that everyone should make an informed decision before deciding. We both want people to be safe and healthy, we just have different viewpoints on how to do that in regards to the flu. You have to also look at my immune system. I have never been physically affected by the flu or colds. Yet the doctors tell me that I have had them. So id say that besides just looking at a passive solution like a vaccine, that if you are really concerned for your health, you would also look at all the active steps you could take to combat the flu.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #69
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=swine_flu
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #70
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Right ive been offered this. Can have it done today. The programe started at the end of last month.
      11-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #71
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I'd be afraid I'd end up looking like this:
Attached Images

Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #72
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I'd be afraid I'd end up looking like this:
Is that a before or after photo of Carl?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #73
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
First celebrity fatality
Attached Images

Appreciate 0