E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirl marks advice (CG V34)

06-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Swirl marks advice (CG V34)

I got some swirl marks on the car and watched a video on YouTube from the chemical guys one step cut and polish using V34 and black wax. This was before I discovered this forum and found out menzerna compound and polish are better products.. (agree or disagree?)

The combo didn't work out for me.. it does look a lot better than before but still some swirl mark exists. I'm thinking maybe it's the dual action polisher than I am using is 6" and maybe 3" would do a better job.
The problem is I borrowed this DA polisher from my friend purchased from harbor freight and it doesn't support smaller backing plate.
Do you guys think it is the polisher? Or the v34 doesn't really do the job?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

5.5" pads are, in my opinion, the most versatile. They provide better cut than a larger pad and are easier to maneuver. 3" pads will be needed for tighter areas and provide even more cut for spot correcting deeper defects if needed.

Was this your first time attempting paint correction/machine polishing? Your success will vary some based on the products/pads you are using, but your technique also plays a major part in the equation. Keep that in mind. You will get better with more practice... the biggest mistakes made by first timers would be moving your machine way too fast (fast arm speed) and using too much product.

Assuming you were using perfect technique, you should have done some testing to determine the best product/pad combination required for you to achieve the results you were after. These test spots will allow you to determine if you need to be more or less aggressive with your pad, product, technique or a combination of each. Check out my article on how to analyze your test spot.

Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern

Given that you still had some defects remaining, you would have needed to be more aggressive in your approach. This might mean you simply needed to use a slightly more aggressive pad, or perhaps you would have needed to step up to a cutting compound and pad, and then follow with a finishing polish and pad (2 step correction vs 1 step correction process).

What pads were you using with the V34? What other products do you have (ie pads, polishes, etc)?

I am a fan of Meguiar's products, but also use some Menzerna products when my testing reveals they are the right product for the job.

Some products to consider:

Menzerna FG400 Cutting Compound
Menzerna SF4000 Finishing Polish

Meguiar's M100 Cutting Comound
Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish

Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads
Lake Country Light Cutting Pads
Lake Country Polishing Pads

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep

Hi Zach, I literally followed the steps in the vid. Ordered the orange Hex cutting pad frpm chemical guys too. The only thing I don't have is the 300 dollars DA polisher he was using.
It is my first time doing this steps. But I did watched multiple videos on how to use the polisher, I was going slow with decent speed over and over again. Followed with black wax at the end.
I will try the v34 again, if not I have some meguiar ultimate compound and polish to experiment too. If those fail, I may need to get the merzerna products or get a different polisher.
Seems like the porter cable is very popular.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012 View Post
Hi Zach, I literally followed the steps in the vid. Ordered the orange Hex cutting pad frpm chemical guys too. The only thing I don't have is the 300 dollars DA polisher he was using.
It is my first time doing this steps. But I did watched multiple videos on how to use the polisher, I was going slow with decent speed over and over again. Followed with black wax at the end.
I will try the v34 again, if not I have some meguiar ultimate compound and polish to experiment too. If those fail, I may need to get the merzerna products or get a different polisher.
Seems like the porter cable is very popular.
The porter cable is a very capable machine... trust me, I used it as my ONLY machine as a professional for 1.5 years before upgrading to a bigger machine.

It simply sounds like you were limiting yourself to a combination that was not ideal for your situation. There is no guaranteed formula for success that will work on every vehicle. Each vehicle should be treated like a completely new project, which is why test spots are absolutely critical to achieving the results you are after.

Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern

I am not familiar with V34 as I have never used any Chemical Guys polishing liquids, but again, it sounds like you needed to be more aggressive with your correction process if you still had defects remaining. This might also require you to follow up with a finishing process after the cutting/compounding step.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep

Hi Zach,

I took your advice and went with a 2 step polish using meguiar ultimate compound and chemical guys polish. And it actually did a much better job than just a one step polish.

Perhaps for a beginning like me, without the proper technique and the good polisher (5" backing plate), 1 step to do the job is more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012 View Post
Hi Zach,

I took your advice and went with a 2 step polish using meguiar ultimate compound and chemical guys polish. And it actually did a much better job than just a one step polish.

Perhaps for a beginning like me, without the proper technique and the good polisher (5" backing plate), 1 step to do the job is more difficult.
A one-step is simply not always the right choice... the idea behind a one-step correction process is that you need to be able to cut enough to remove the defects that you wish to remove, while also finishing down perfectly without any traces of marring/haze. If this cannot be achieved, then a one-step is not the correct process. In this case, a multi-step process should be used to level the defects, and then to refine the surface.

Glad you were successful, and happy I could help!

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0