E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Saloon or Coupe Comments/Advice

04-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
has anyone commented on the handling bit?...coupe v/s saloon....
MOB did ^ He said the saloon was better than the coupé. Most of the magazines say the E90 M3 handles better than the E92 M3 but I haven't driven an M3 so wouldn't know.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
tjh73
Rep
Drives: .

Thanks again for the comments and feedback.

Spent best part of the day trying various options on the lease companies site that my firm use and BMW’s site and come up with the below,

320d SE Coupe in Sapphire Black with the Oyster Leather.

Options – To complement the Oyster Leather I have gone with the High Gloss Black Trim and Black Headlining. Only other option I have been able to add was the Audio upgrade to the Loudspeaker Business.

Little frustrated I could not get a couple of more things in before I blew my budget, tbh if I could have upgraded the wheels and got the Sun Protection Glass I would have more or less been at my ideal car. It is actually only the wheels that I have giving me a slight concern but don’t think I should let just this one niggle hold me back? Got the weekend to think it through as looking at ordering on Monday, if I’m happy!

Not too concerned about the Nav, Phone prep or the USB Audio Interface as I have an iphone which I use as a one stop shop for everything and using this in conjunction with the Tom Tom Car Kit/Mount and plugged in to the AUX and Ciggie lighter works for me!

I did actually spec a an M Sport Saloon also and yes I could get most things I wanted but kept getting drawn back to the Coupe!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Don't forget sports seats. SE ones are not so good.

Wheels can be changed at a later date anyway.

Bluetooth is very handy too.
      04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #26
tjh73
Rep

Quote:
Don't forget sports seats. SE ones are not so good
Yea, these were on my list but at £430 it blew my limit so I would have to go with the standard.

Quote:
Wheels can be changed at a later date anyway
Unfortunatly not, company car via lease company so what I order I'll have to stick with!

Quote:
Bluetooth is very handy too
What does this do? Does it provide the same options as I would get if I plugged my phone into the AUX?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Scrapping the headlining would pay for powerfold mirrors just about - or the rear sun blind, or the privacy glass.

If you use the iphone through the auxiliary connector you would still have to hold the phone to answer or end a call - that's a no-no, and you would have to switch over to aux on the head unit - I think the cops would classify that as using a mobile phone whilst driving.

You could fit a hands free bluetooth system as an aftermarket that could be removed before the car is returned.

Why waste money on the headlining when you could have another toy?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #28
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
For looks it has to be the coupe. Why I bought mine.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
tjh73
Rep

Went to the dealers yesterday and had a good look at various Coupes they had in and tbh swaying away from the standard coupe, which effectively is what I would be getting with my budget! I saw a Coupe SE which was more a less all standard (with 17's) and it did not really appeal to me at all, especially as it was next to an SE with various options added inc. 18's which did make a big difference and also options that are above and beyond my limit.

Looking at the Coupe and the Saloon the two options I have are as follows,

320d coupe SE (Sap. Black)

with,

Black High Gloss
Loudspeaker System - BMW Business
Individual Anthracite Headlining

320d Saloon M Sport (Sap. Black)

with,

Centre Rear Armrest
Front Sliding Armrest
Fine Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim
12v Power Sockets
Folding Rear-seat Headrests
Dab Digital Radio
Loudspeaker System - BMW Business
Sun Protection Glass
Dakota Leather (Oyster/Black)

tbh I do like the Saloon and with the additional extras plus the trim above I feel this is the way I should be going! I know people have said the if it is the Coupe I like then go with it, and in M Sport it would be, but in its standard SE form it just does not work for me. The M Sport Saloon (plus the extras I can get) could well be the one getting ordered this week!!

Slightly deflated but on the other hand excited about what I could be getting!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #30
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

04-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #31
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
<Wind up> So you are going to do without the split folding rear seats and the xenon headlights, and the Saloon is costing over £600 more than the coupe - as specified. You have also neglected servotronic steering in either model which IMO, is a mistake.
<Wind up>

Given the discrepancy in pricing, if the higher figure is your ultimate budget AND you scrap the anthracite headlining (what's the point in wanting a dark grey headlining instead of black - or vice versa - and paying £200 for the privilege?)

In that case, you would have just over £800 which would allow you to get a few choice extras: e.g.

Servotronic steering
Powerfold mirrors (with auto dip on passenger mirror in reverse)
BMW Bluetooth (complete with shark fin aerial)

OR

Servotronic steering
Front sliding arm rest
Heated front seats
Electric rear sun blind - or Privacy glass

Just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
tjh73
Rep

all well n good but noting you have listed changes the outside look of the coupe, plus,

Quote:
pointless to me and have no appeal

Quote:
BMW Bluetooth (complete with shark fin aerial)
not 100% what it does but from what I have worked out I have all my comms worked out with the aux/tom tom/iphone

Quote:
Electric rear sun blind
got this in my audi and in two years have never used, so to me a pointless extra!

Although obviously appreciate the comments, are you a little biased?

On the pricing, I assume you are looking at the BMW site std. pricing but the lease company that my firm uses works in very mysterious ways and has no correlation to real world pricing of cars/extras!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #33
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
In your shoes I would take the saloon.
      04-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #34
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Well, yes I'm biased but I'm also working on the basis that you appear to prefer the coupe in the first place.

Where I'm really biased is in not understanding why so many people seem to have such a great desire for the words "m-sport". Given that the performance is identical and the difference in road holding and handling is so small that the difference can be obliterated by two drivers of differing levels of skill (meaning also that the extra alleged benefit could only be found when pushing the car so hard that flashing blue lights could become involved) what is the point of spending a couple of thousand pounds extra for sports seats and a variety of differently shaped pieces of plastic which cost BMW absolutely nothing extra to provide?

I'm sorry, it's not that I dislike m-sport versions of the car, it's just that I deeply resent giving all that extra cash to BMW when the vast majority of the "special m-sport" features cost BMW absolutely nothing!

To me, M-Sports are nothing but a money making exercise for BMW.

Moving to the saloon, you don't even have the benefit of 18" alloys as standard and the standard 17" wheels on the m-sport E90 are no better looking than the E92 SE wheels - and a damn sight harder to clean.

However, I think the answer is in your last post. I understand what you mean by the weird way leasing companies price cars so the saloon does appear to be the way to go. Just don't go putting //m badges on the outside of the car - the boys in here mostly disapprove.

Finally, you WILL enjoy the car, whichever one you get.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #35
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

"standard" SE coupes, with "small" wheels really do look a bit ordinary to me...

M sport package imo does make the cars (both saloon and coupe) look so much better, plus you get some nice bits of kit thrown in including the, essential to me, sports seats.

I'd not worry about changing the interior trim/headlining at all, which might help...but on balance I think you are right, in your case the M sport saloon is the best bet.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #36
tjh73
Rep

Fully resigned to the fact that it is not going to be the Coupe this time around Although I do feel happy in what could be coming my way with the M Sport Saloon.

Only one problem now, did not realise that the 18's (194M) where not standard on the 330d (thanks Alan for pointing out). Left with a dilemma now of Leather or wheel upgrade ?????
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
paul051
Private
Rep
Drives: RANGEY SPORT MY2011

I would 100% have the M sport saloon over the coupe se with 17's... Wouldn't even take a minute to think about and i'm saying this when i own a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh73 View Post
Fully resigned to the fact that it is not going to be the Coupe this time around Although I do feel happy in what could be coming my way with the M Sport Saloon.

Only one problem now, did not realise that the 18's (194M) where not standard on the 330d (thanks Alan for pointing out). Left with a dilemma now of Leather or wheel upgrade ?????
leather..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #39
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh73 View Post

You will be v.happy with the E90 M-Sport and reckon you will turn you head to look as you walk away

You mean the 18"s are not standard on the 320d (330d they are standard). The 17" M-Sport alloys look great and actually run the 194's quite close imo and are rarer.

Can you get leather with heated speats (a must)? If not keep with the very nice Alcantara sport seats.
      04-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
cho
Rep
Drives: e92

i had my heart set on a E90 M sport, went to test drive and negotiate deal, left the showroom and looked back at the car and i didn't think to myself "WOW" as it just look like an ordinary saloon. So 24hrs later, spotted a E92 325 SE with 19" alloys at a nearby Dealer and within 30 minutes i'd bought the car. The car itself is gorgeous and so sleek even in SE form, i would have preferred an M sport but definately don't regret getting the coupe.
Appreciate 0