E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Kwik fit damaged my 313's

09-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Kwik fit damaged my 313's

Firstly this isn't a witch hunt

Had two new run flats on the rear today (done 25k, is that any good?)

Unfortunately they've damaged both rims (see below)

They said they will get them smart repaired, but I'm not convinced, thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
J44KPR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

let them do it, if it's not perfect then it will need to be done again or replaced

it's your fault for taking it to kwik fit! xD
BMW were cheaper for me
      09-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I take it the wheels are OEM?

If so,there diamond cut,which would put repairs beyond the capabilities of a smart repair,although the damage doesn't look too bad.

I'd still want them repaired properly though,not by a man with a van!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't get a choice where I take my car for tyres...

So, if I let them do it, they're either going to look shit, or they simply won't be able to match in what was there? Where do I stand? Can I insist that they're replaced with genuine wheels? The off side had no damage on it whatsoever, the near side already had a rubbish repair done to it that's blowing on the lacquer after 6 months

They're OEM wheels that are less than 12 months old, I, not impressed, especially as I specifically took it back today as they be quieter (it was very busy yesterday)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
sorry but why on earth did you take a.car to kwik fit?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I have read before that diamond cut can only be repaired once therefore they have taken away your one chance. I would insist on replacement as even a full refurb is never as good as the original in terms of looks and durability.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -shane- View Post
sorry but why on earth did you take a.car to kwik fit?
just read ur post shame you don't have a choice. why is this
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
blackrabbit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 M Sport

I took my last car to kwikfit to have the tracking checked. After 3 further visits, each one resulting in worse tracking I had to eventualy take it to a dealer.

I should have known looking at the staff who were sloping around like lazy teenagers. Even if owned a box standard fiesta i would never go near that bunch of lazy, unskilled tossers ever again.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -shane- View Post
just read ur post shame you don't have a choice. why is this
Lease, unfortunately, simply have no choice where I take it

I went yesterday and he said it's a long job and they were busy, I thought ok, I'll offer that they can do them Sunday (quieter) and that would give them longer, I even said to them I didn't want them to rush the job as I know they're awkward to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I have read before that diamond cut can only be repaired once therefore they have taken away your one chance. I would insist on replacement as even a full refurb is never as good as the original in terms of looks and durability.
Thanks, I think I'll call the dealer, tell them what happened and what the offer is and find out where I stand, and also get a replacement price and phone KiwkFit back

Luckily, I have a written note from them stating they accept liability
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

My two rears were damaged a few years back by national tyres, I insisted all 4 were fully painted/repaired to get the colour match correct and they agreed.

I got them done and they refunded the receipt.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

So what you're on a lease? Do you mean the lease people are paying for the tyres to be swapped or something?

I don't understand why you HAVE to go to Kwik Fit. How would they find out if you went somewhere else?

Unless your rationale is financial I simply don't understand it.

And now you've paid the price for letting cretinous halfbreeds near your car.

09-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Maybe I'm just an argumentative soul, or maybe it was the threat of removal of my business (15 car/van fleet) but when ATS marked the rims on my C63 when it was just three months old, they offered a refurb and I told them it didn't come in with refurbed wheels and it wouldn't be leaving with them either; I demanded (and received) two brand new wheels.

Why should you have to have refurbished wheels because your local tyre monkeys have no skill and/or pride in their job? Demand new wheels.

In the future, have Kwik fit issue tyres (not fit them) and take them to someone you can trust - this is what I have done since ATS damaged my rims; I still use them o source my tyres and have wheels in motion fit them for me. Happy days.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I don't understand why you HAVE to go to Kwik Fit. How would they find out if you went somewhere else?
The car will be funded on a "fully expensed" basis, so the monthly payment will include servicing and consumables, including tyres.

So, when the tyres are due for replacement OP takes his car into lease company nominated tyre centre, they ring through to funder for authorisation and then they change the tyres. Driver never even sees the bill.

If the OP goes elsewhere the funder won't pick up the tab, so he'll end up paying twice for his tyres. The bill and part of his monthly payment which covers the cost of replacement tyres for the duration of the lease.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It seems the advice a few companies give as each time they machine the face of the alloy it becomes thinner. Some do it more than once.

If the wheels are only going to be smart repaired there will be no machining taking place. Just filling in the damage and trying to get it to blend in.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
So what you're on a lease? Do you mean the lease people are paying for the tyres to be swapped or something?

Unless your rationale is financial I simply don't understand it.

And now you've paid the price for letting cretinous halfbreeds near your car.

You simply don't get the choice with leased company vehicles, they say where you go, otherwise you foot the bill for £600 worth of tyres!

I'm going to fight this one, I was going to put up with smart repairs, but they are never spot on, and simply don't last, and what others have said here has got me fired up to fight for justice
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Right. Si explained it well. Didn't realise it was like that! As you're not paying - clearly tougher position ..

This is similar situation to when I got the E92, except I had buyer power behind me with that one ..

When my car was being delivered to me from Cambridge, I had a phonecall from the salesman. On the way they'd nicked an alloy in a petrol station. Would I be OK if they get it smart repaired.

I said quite simply I expect unmarked alloys that have never been repaired or else the deal is off. 313s as per yourself and I explained that I bought the car on the proviso of unmarked alloys. As they can't be refurbed due to the cut of the lip.

They ended up driving halfway back, swapping the alloys over with new stock and then driving back to me. The new car was probably sold with refurbed alloys But that's their get up.

Another advantage was I got brand new tyres instead of ones with 17k on them. Schaweet.

So I can't fault the service I received but then again I had just agreed to pay close to 30k for a car. They really had little choice..
      09-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

This mornings news is that BMW state the warranty is invalidated on Smart repaired wheels....

Surely Kwik Fit will be insured for this kind of event?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Being diamond cut they will need re-cutting unfortunately.

A smart repair will look "Wank"
      09-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
This mornings news is that BMW state the warranty is invalidated on Smart repaired wheels....

Surely Kwik Fit will be insured for this kind of event?
The warranty on what? The wheel only I assume?

Considering BMW do smart wheel repairs to their own used cars (and damaged new ones too probably) that's a bit rich!

Kwik fit probably aren't insured for minor items like this, it just comes from branch profits I would think - it needs the local manager to feel the pain to do something about it.

Mine weren't smart (spot) repaired they were fully refurbed and oven baked for £300, but they were over 1 year old with some salt damage and old kerb marks already (and only MV3s)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The warranty on what? The wheel only I assume?

Considering BMW do smart wheel repairs to their own used cars (and damaged new ones too probably) that's a bit rich!

Kwik fit probably aren't insured for minor items like this, it just comes from branch profits I would think - it needs the local manager to feel the pain to do something about it.

Mine weren't smart (spot) repaired they were fully refurbed and oven baked for £300, but they were over 1 year old with some salt damage and old kerb marks already (and only MV3s)
Refurbed diamond cut? My dealer won't refurb these AT ALL!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
doughboy
Major General
Rep

A quality wheel repairer will do them no problem, but they're just a bit OTT for your average place.

They are done in 3 stages.

Grey coat
Machine rim
Clear top coat all over

So to repair the rim will need the whole wheel re-top coating.

But agree, push for new wheels first off.
Appreciate 0