Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Another Wheel Spacer Question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
ophale
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Sportwagon

Another Wheel Spacer Question

Aloha!

I'll first start out with "I've used the search tool and found conflicting information." So... I would like to ask the question again to the E90Post experts.

Here is some background info...

I have a 2009 E91 with stock BMW style 285 8x17 wheels (front and rear) and no other modifications to the suspension. I have no plans to modify the suspension in the future. I will be purchasing new tires in the next 10 to 15K miles. The current tires are the OEM Conti Pro Contact SSR 225/45 R17 and most likely will be replace with a comparable run flat or go flat tire.

My goal is to enhance the stance of sportwagon with a wider look with wheel spacers. I have found most vendor sites recommending measuring the wheel gap between the inner fender and a strait edge placed parallel with the wheel. The strait edge rests on the rubber bead that extends outward from the wheel. My measurements are 6 mm for the front wheel gap and 13 mm for the rear wheel. Culling information from this forum and other sites, it seems E90 owners and vendor sites recommend for a stock E90; 12 mm front and 15 mm rear (I've seen up to 20mm in the rear). Do you concur?

If I choose the 12 mm front and 15 mm rear will I rub? Could I go to 18 mm in the rear? I've included some photos below for further perspective.

Thanks in advance for any experience you may have with spacers on a similar setup on your BMW as mine.

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I don't have a wagon, but since you're not planning on lowering the suspension you shouldn't have to worry about rubbing. There's enough of a wheel gap in-between the top of your tire and the fender. The only piece to factor in is if you're trunk it packed full and you passengers in the back, how much does the suspension compress?
      10-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
ophale
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
I don't have a wagon, but since you're not planning on lowering the suspension you shouldn't have to worry about rubbing. There's enough of a wheel gap in-between the top of your tire and the fender. The only piece to factor in is if you're trunk it packed full and you passengers in the back, how much does the suspension compress?
Thanks zipstic!

I thought this was the case but when I measured the fender gap I came up with a small recommended spacer size. I will keep in mind your suggestion of potential future cargo weight in a wagon, before making a decision on the 15 or 18 in the rear.

Does anyone know what spacer size will get you to an equivalent 8.5x17 wheel from a 8 x17 wheel? Is the first dimension in inches too? That would mean I could place 12mm spacer and still be factory in the rear.

Thanks in advance for any additional advise!

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

If your not lowering it, go with 12mm front 15mm rear.

Will look good, but not overly aggressive since your not lowering
      04-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
ophale
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Follow Up: This What I purchased: The Results:

Hi All,

I asked a spacer question a few months back and I finally had a moment to let people know what I finally ordered.

I purchased BMS Spacers from Jason at BurgerTuning.com. Transaction went smoothly and the parts arrived in the time frame of the estimate. I selected 12 mm for the front wheels and 18 mm for the rear wheels. My suspension is stock, no plans to upgrade, as I'm happy with the current performance and looks. I also have brand new Bridgestone RE050A II 225/45R17 on all four wheels.

I have drove in this configuration for about two months, NO RUBBING has been observed. This includes four people in the car and over speed bumps. I haven't had an opportunity to drive some of the big brothers around... I may rub with a couple of 400 lbs people in tow, but I may have rubbed regardless of the spacers...

I also have enjoyed the extra gap when cleaning the wheels, much easier to get the inside of the wheels clean, as the brakes are not as close to the wheel.

However, the ultimate reason why I invested in spacers was for the looks. So without further ado, here are some pictures of my E91 touring with spacers:

Thanks for all the advise, and I hope this post will help others in their decision process regarding wheels spacer.

Aloha!

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
OtisDC
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F20 - 118i - 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW F20  [0.00]
As I haven't found a lot of info regarding the use of spacers on an E90 with the styling 285 wheels, I wonder if you could help me out.

I have an E90 335i with sport suspension, do you think I could run the same setup as you? (12mm front, 18mm rear)
      08-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

As you're both LCI's then you should be able to run the same. E90/1 arches should be identical.

It's worth considering when measuring that the wheels camber in as the suspension compresses, so you'll have more space than you believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
OtisDC
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F20  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
As you're both LCI's then you should be able to run the same. E90/1 arches should be identical.

It's worth considering when measuring that the wheels camber in as the suspension compresses, so you'll have more space than you believe.
Allright, thanks for the VERY quick reply .

So even though I'm running the sport suspension vs. his stock suspension,
The same setup should be Okay?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

I mean do your own peace of mind checks but essentially they'll both rub or neither will, if testing to full compression.
Appreciate 2
OtisDC7.50
      08-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisDC View Post
As I haven't found a lot of info regarding the use of spacers on an E90 with the styling 285 wheels, I wonder if you could help me out.

I have an E90 335i with sport suspension, do you think I could run the same setup as you? (12mm front, 18mm rear)
I have an E90 LCI with 284 wheels (same dimensions) and 12mm and 15mm spacers. If I were to do it again, I would run 18mm in the rear. You should have no rubbing issues even on sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
OtisDC
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F20  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I have an E90 LCI with 284 wheels (same dimensions) and 12mm and 15mm spacers. If I were to do it again, I would run 18mm in the rear. You should have no rubbing issues even on sport suspension.
Thanks man!
I'm gonna get the 12mm and 18mm spacers .