E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Lower intercooler to charge pipe boot options?

04-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Lower intercooler to charge pipe boot options?

Can anyone suggest a source for an upgraded replacement boot that fits the lower end of the charge pipe between the intercooler and ASV?
I need something that can fit or adapt to the factory style connector.

I may be missing something...but all I seem to be able to find are turbo to intercooler boots (Forge and ATM), and upper charge pipe (ATM)...but even though ATM says the upper elbow fixes the last weak link...unless you buy their intercooler they don't seem to offer a lower boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I am still looking for an option for the replacement boot/improved connection for the lower charge pipe.
Does anyone know of a way to improve the connection and a source for upgraded boot...or by chance if the turbo to intercooler boots (such as Forge or ATM) will work on either side of the intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
335_DE90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D Sport

Get an upgraded intercooler... problem solved. Go Wagner Evo 3, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubudo View Post
...all I seem to be able to find are turbo to intercooler boots (Forge and ATM), and upper charge pipe (ATM)...but even though ATM says the upper elbow fixes the last weak link...unless you buy their intercooler they don't seem to offer a lower boot.
Those are my findings as well.

I ordered an ATM intercooler mainly for the upgraded connections. Currently on back-order; no idea when it will arrive. 335dlci on this forum has good price.

My stock intercooler is looking rough after 195k highway miles. Might have to grab a replacement until the ATM arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:57 PM   #5
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I too have been unsuccessful in finding the ATM unit.

Since I already have a Forge turbo to intercooler boot and Rev9 intercooler...unless someone knows of reason that it would not work...I think I am going try an adapter (like the one used by Forge)...
such as this:

https://mtcmotorsport.co.uk/collecti...90-e91-e92-e93

...and a 2.5 to 2.25 90 degree boot such as this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-19791

Then I can use the ATM kit for the connection at the ASV.

...but if someone knows why it wouldn't work, please don't hesitate to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 01:10 AM   #6
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
For anyone who is looking for options to upgrade the lower charge pipe boot (either by itself or in conjunction with other boots and/or intercooler).
It is possible to use an adapter (such as that linked below), which allows connecting boots using constant-tension clamps.
In my case, I already had the Forge turbo boot a Rev9 aftermarket intercooler, and the boot for the upper charge pipe to ASV. Given that I already had money tied up in those components, I didn’t feel that it made sense go with either the ATM or Wagoner intercooler/boot systems when all I needed was a replacement boot for the intercooler to lower charge pipe.

https://mtcmotorsport.co.uk/collecti...90-e91-e92-e93

In my case, I used this adapter in combination with the boot offered by ATM for the upper charge pipe.
In other words, the adapter allowed me to use the same ATM boot on either end of the charge pipe.
I did end up shortening the intercooer end of the boot by about ¾ inch and charge pipe end of the boot by about 2 ½ inches.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2023, 01:21 AM   #7
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Although piecemeal, this rout is more economical.
At this time, the Rev9 is on sale for $275 (with hoses about $571).

In comparison:
The Wagner EVO1 is smaller than the Rev9, has no hoses, and goes for $560, The Evo2 and 3 include hoses and go for $980 and $1300 respectively. Meanwhile, the offering by ATM is to pre-order their intercooler and boot package for $769.

Disclaimer:
I am not making the claim that the efficiency or quality of the Rev9 are equivalent to the ATM or Wagner intercoolers
However, I can say with confidence that the Rev9 is larger and more robust than the OEM intercooler (including the quick connections). The adapter for the intercooler linked is similar to that used by ATM to adapt their turbo outlet hose to the OEM intercooler, and essentially identical to that used by Forge.

In the event that I experience further issues with the quick connections, they can easily be reinforced by drilling, tapping, and screwing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Just to update anyone trying to replace the intercooler to up-pipe boot.
This solution has continued to work well for me.
My only regret is that I initially only one of these boots (because I accepted the claim that it would only fit the upper end of the charge pipe). I was so excited when I realized the same boot could be use at either end that I promptly ordered a second one. Since the 1st boot arrived, I used it for the lower end of the charge pipe and went ahead and glued the adapter fitting to the AVS so that I could just throw it on the vehicle as soon as it arrived.
Unfortunately, after doing so, I was informed that these hoses were on back-order. Two weeks later I still was unable to get an estimate for when my order would be fulfilled. Fortunately, I had not cut off the upper charge pipe boot and was able to remove the adapter that glues to the AVS with heat (but not after destroying it in the process). Not a big deal since the new boot came with a new adapter. However, since it took over 2 months to get a second boot, should I ever need to replace the ASV or upper boot, I now realize that I may be waiting for months for such parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Scubudo - I notice the o-ring is different on your last attached picture. Maybe it's for the better. OE one more squared off and has 2 ribs versus a normal round o-ring on new adapter.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #10
MidWillamette335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Just did this today. I ended up using an ATM intercooler fitting. Turns out they sell their bits and pieces separate. I had to tap the fitting into the ic to seat it fully for the clip. I also attached the hard line first and snaked the works up, didn't think there'd be enough room to slide it over the fitting once the ic was mounted, but think there is all said and done. I did use a long leg 2.5" to 2.25 like the one linked, and had to cut both ends down a bit...it's tight in there. Pretty sure it helped as that OEM fitting had no problem sliding right out even with a newer o-ring, and the power feels more "on tap" than it did before.
Attached Images