E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Strange tracking issue

04-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Strange tracking issue

A couple of months ago, my right rear wheel sensor went out (at which time I suddenly got a dash full of lights about DTC/ABS being disabled).

Shortly before and after (i.e. within hours of this), I experienced a couple of instances when (at highway speeds) it felt as if the rear of the vehicle suddenly broke loose and tried to swing out to the right while going around curves to the left.
Each instance was quite abrupt (and unnerving), but only lasted about a second. There was no accompanying noise, and I wasn't exactly pushing the vehicle any harder than normal. The closest comparison to what I experienced was as if I had hit a patch of ice (which was not even a remote possibility).

While attempting to reproduce the unusual behavior, I also noticed that on hard straight-line acceleration the rear of the vehicle seems to move slightly out to the right side (almost as if the tires are breaking loose from the pavement...but without any of the expected sounds of "burning rubber").

Given the timing of everything, I was thinking that perhaps the faulty wheel sensor might have somehow been involved.

I have since replaced the wheel sensor (which resolved all of the DTC /ABS lights and related OBD codes) and have not experienced any further instances of the abrupt tracking problems described...but under hard acceleration there continues to be the sensation that the rear of the vehicle pushes out slightly to the right.

By chance, has anyone else experienced anything similar to what I am describing, and if so, were you able to identify the source of the problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 01:29 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Checked the wheel bearing? And the rest of the rear suspension for damage/wear/etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have gone through the rear end components looking for anything loose but found nothing.
At the same time, I also replaced rear brakes and rotors (because they were about due anyway).

There could be some noise at speed from the right rear bearing...but if so, I can barely hear it. However, since I am about down to the wear bars on the rear tires, I am not 100% sure it isn't just the tires I am hearing.

I actually have a new wheel bearing that has been sitting in my freezer for 3-4 yrs (because I thought once before I might have one going out). While I was doing the brakes, I attempted to change the bearing just to be sure...but for the 1st time I can remember, I had to give up. A 5# slide hammer didn't budge a thing (and yes, I did remember to remove the spindle nut).

It was a humbling experience to say the least...and I assumed that my efforts certainly damaged the existing bearing in the process...but a few hundred miles later, there is no change in the noise level or other obvious signs that my failed efforts changed anything.

At any rate, if what I describe does sound like a bearing issue...unless it is possible to pull the flange and drive shaft together, then separate things with a press...I will need to find someone angrier than myself to do that job.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

You need to remove the whole knuckle and drive shaft to get it in a press. The only one I've done wasn't too bad; I used a 3 leg puller done up so tight it bent the spider, and then hammered on the bolt of the puller to get things moving. Not looking forward to the next one...

Honestly it could be the worn tyres you're feeling - mine wants to tramline a lot more when the tyres are near end of life. But I'm also not ruling out something wrong with my car
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
You need to remove the whole knuckle and drive shaft to get it in a press. The only one I've done wasn't too bad; I used a 3 leg puller done up so tight it bent the spider, and then hammered on the bolt of the puller to get things moving. Not looking forward to the next one...
While there are more parts involved with pulling the knuckle and drive shaft together, I don't know how difficult it really would be. I was just thinking along the lines that it would take less brute force (from me).

However, now you have me wondering if there is a way to combine the threaded force of a hub puller with the additional force of a slide hammer...or perhaps I just need to find a bigger slide hammer.

At any rate, if I decide to try to tackle the bearing again myself, I will definitely need a better plan.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:29 AM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Pretty simple pulling the whole knuckle. Probably need an alignment afterwards though. If not, I'd say buy the strongest 3 or 4 leg puller you can find/justify, and be prepared to hammer on it as well
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:15 AM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

If you change the rear bearing, make sure to figure out which ide is inboard and which side is outboard. It has a magnetic spot in it that the speed sensor "counts". If you put it in backwards, the sensor won't see it and you'll get a light on the cluster again.

There are threads over on E90/chassis section covering this as I don't recall details as to which way the new bearing goes in.

I have a little noise but only can hear it down at < 20 mph. The street has to be super super smooth for me to hear the "thump thump thump" I hear it at around 18 mph. I don't think its a bearing as those get louder and higher pitch when you speed up. I think its a wheel or a tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:06 PM   #8
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
If you change the rear bearing, make sure to figure out which ide is inboard and which side is outboard. It has a magnetic spot in it that the speed sensor "counts". If you put it in backwards, the sensor won't see it and you'll get a light on the cluster again.

There are threads over on E90/chassis section covering this as I don't recall details as to which way the new bearing goes in.

I have a little noise but only can hear it down at < 20 mph. The street has to be super super smooth for me to hear the "thump thump thump" I hear it at around 18 mph. I don't think its a bearing as those get louder and higher pitch when you speed up. I think its a wheel or a tire.
Black seal goes to the inside.
      05-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I'd put money on that being a flat spot on the tyre. Take the wheels off and check the tyres thoroughly.

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 05-02-2023 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #10
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I am not hearing a thump thump, but rather a whirring sound at speed (when I I turn my head to the right), that sounds like it is coming from the right rear corner. The pitch gets higher as the speed increases.
I probably should put one of my kids back there to listen because my hearing isn't what it used to be...and it is possible that if it is tires, the seat configuration just blocks the left side from my right ear more than the left.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #11
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I wonder if something like the "AMZCNC 5 Ton Hydraulic Gear Puller" is just a gimmic...or if it would actually simplify the task?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:08 AM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Looks legit enough to me. Though I might be tempted by the 15t instead. One down side is that you couldn't hammer it to apply extra (shock) load.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #13
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubudo View Post
While there are more parts involved with pulling the knuckle and drive shaft together, I don't know how difficult it really would be. I was just thinking along the lines that it would take less brute force (from me).

However, now you have me wondering if there is a way to combine the threaded force of a hub puller with the additional force of a slide hammer...or perhaps I just need to find a bigger slide hammer.

At any rate, if I decide to try to tackle the bearing again myself, I will definitely need a better plan.
You need the proper tools. A rear wheel bearing on a e90 is a pretty simple process. Without the proper tools though? Forget it. Also no need to remove the entire knuckle.

Do you hear the whine increase or decrease when turning? If not, you might have diff whine (Had to replace the rear diff on my parents car, thought it was a wheel bearing initially as well)

It's a rarity but it does happen.
      05-02-2023, 03:21 PM   #14
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
A couple of months ago, my right rear wheel sensor went out (at which time I suddenly got a dash full of lights about DTC/ABS being disabled).

Shortly before and after (i.e. within hours of this), I experienced a couple of instances when (at highway speeds) it felt as if the rear of the vehicle suddenly broke loose and tried to swing out to the right while going around curves to the left.
Each instance was quite abrupt (and unnerving), but only lasted about a second. There was no accompanying noise, and I wasn't exactly pushing the vehicle any harder than normal. The closest comparison to what I experienced was as if I had hit a patch of ice (which was not even a remote possibility).

While attempting to reproduce the unusual behavior, I also noticed that on hard straight-line acceleration the rear of the vehicle seems to move slightly out to the right side (almost as if the tires are breaking loose from the pavement...but without any of the expected sounds of "burning rubber").

Given the timing of everything, I was thinking that perhaps the faulty wheel sensor might have somehow been involved.

I have since replaced the wheel sensor (which resolved all of the DTC /ABS lights and related OBD codes) and have not experienced any further instances of the abrupt tracking problems described...but under hard acceleration there continues to be the sensation that the rear of the vehicle pushes out slightly to the right.

By chance, has anyone else experienced anything similar to what I am describing, and if so, were you able to identify the source of the problem?
What are your alignment specs? I would start by checking alignment before tearing too deep into this
      05-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #15
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
You need the proper tools. A rear wheel bearing on a e90 is a pretty simple process. Without the proper tools though? Forget it. Also no need to remove the entire knuckle.

Do you hear the whine increase or decrease when turning? If not, you might have diff whine (Had to replace the rear diff on my parents car, thought it was a wheel bearing initially as well)
What are these "proper tools" you are referring too? I had looked up tools prior to trying to pull the hub. Found others who were able to separate with a slide hammer...only to get humbled and humiliated in the process.

Am not sure if whine changes when turning or not. It really may just be tire noise. The only reason I noticed it was because when the ABS light came on I started trying to listen for a bearing.

I am still sort of stumped about the episodes that happened around the time the light came on...and was hoping someone would report that they had experience similar at the time of losing a wheel sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:14 PM   #16
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What are these "proper tools" you are referring too? I had looked up tools prior to trying to pull the hub. Found others who were able to separate with a slide hammer...only to get humbled and humiliated in the process.

Am not sure if whine changes when turning or not. It really may just be tire noise. The only reason I noticed it was because when the ABS light came on I started trying to listen for a bearing.

I am still sort of stumped about the episodes that happened around the time the light came on...and was hoping someone would report that they had experience similar at the time of losing a wheel sensor.
Schwaben Master Wheel Bearing and Hub Tool Kit is the ticket, but you can also piece something together that works. The best one of the bunch is the tool used to push/pull the axle through the hub. That's usually where people have issues.

Usually a wheel speed sensor and rear wheel bearing go hand in hand. At least that's been my experience with the few I've replaced.
      05-02-2023, 10:02 PM   #17
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
What are your alignment specs? I would start by checking alignment before tearing too deep into this
I was considering that as well...but wouldn't alignment cause pulling all of the time?

To be honest...I am not 100% sure sensation under hard acceleration isn't normal. I know that drag cars tend to lift one front tire before the other due to torque and rotation of drive shaft...and these engines do put out more torque than most gassers.
By chance...does anyone else experience slight sensation of the rear pulling out to the right under hard acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 12:23 AM   #18
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
By chance...does anyone else experience slight sensation of the rear pulling out to the right under hard acceleration?
No.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 06:53 AM   #19
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was considering that as well...but wouldn't alignment cause pulling all of the time?

To be honest...I am not 100% sure sensation under hard acceleration isn't normal. I know that drag cars tend to lift one front tire before the other due to torque and rotation of drive shaft...and these engines do put out more torque than most gassers.
No but checking your alignment will tell you much more then guessing what it could be that’s all. What does your tire wear look like?

I will say though that if I were to do a burnout in my 335d it’ll kick out to the right 99% of the time and I have brand new m3 suspension, coilovers and perfect alignment.
      05-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #20
Scubudo
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Tire wear is even...but almost down to wear bars.
I am staggered. Rear wear out slightly faster than front (but suspect this will change with recent deletes). I intend to go square when I replace tires this time...but need to address wheel width in front 1st.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #21
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tire wear is even...but almost down to wear bars.
I am staggered. Rear wear out slightly faster than front (but suspect this will change with recent deletes). I intend to go square when I replace tires this time...but need to address wheel width in front 1st.
Why go square on a rwd car? You’re better off staying staggered. Better handling characteristics. I’m planning on upgrading to 255/275 when get tires next. I’ve gotten 3 years out of my nitto nt555 g2 with aggressive driving , but only drive it in the summer

Take a picture of your tire wear in the rear on both sides please. And If you can remove both tires and post a side by side pic.
      05-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #22
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Why go square on a rwd car? You’re better off staying staggered. Better handling characteristics. I’m planning on upgrading to 255/275 when get tires next. I’ve gotten 3 years out of my nitto nt555 g2 with aggressive driving , but only drive it in the summer

Take a picture of your tire wear in the rear on both sides please. And If you can remove both tires and post a side by side pic.
Square all day for the tire rotations alone (Especially how the e90 in stock alignment specs likes to eat rear tires).

17x9 255/40 Indy 500s all the way around.