E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best method to remove a scuff mark from leather?

06-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Best method to remove a scuff mark from leather?

What's the best method to remove a scuff mark off my Dakota Gray leather seats?

Someone on the passenger side left a dark black streak on the seat. I don't know what they were doing but I need to get it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
What have you tried? Have you tried a mf cloth with leather cleaner?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I tried a soft towel with some water but I was afraid to scrub it too hard. It took a little of the scuff out but not all the way. I've got some leather conditioner but I didn't want to put it on because I'm afraid it might set the stain and I'll never get it out. Is the leather cleaner different than the conditioner?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Yes it is.

Do you wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

use the leather cleaner first with a leather brush and report back. that should work unless its a major scuff mark, at that point the leather is probably damaged a little bit anyway.
      07-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Cleaning Aniline Leather

Remove surface dirt and dust, cleaning the seams periodically is important as dirt / grit will abrade the stitching causing them to fail, prise them apart, then use a soft brush, vacuum and then use a foam cleaner, one section at a time, and then finally wipe off with a clean, damp micro fibre towel.
The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent and moisture sensitive (Aniline, including perforated) Nubuck, etc) leathers. Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.

Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. Shake the foam container thoroughly. Spray the product at a distance of 12 inches from the leather to one section at a time, and allow to remain in place for approximately 15 to 30 seconds.

Foam contains a surfactant that will lift dirt and soil. Then gently agitate surface with the sponge, rinsing frequently and adding more product as required. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.
Remove excess product and debris with a clean, damp micro fibre towel. If the foam is allowed to dry the soil will be re-deposited to the surface. Check the results and repeat process as necessary

Application

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent and moisture sensitive (Aniline, including perforate) leathers. Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.

This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner. The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather
Use a synthetic sponge with a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. A foam type cleaner is the most efficient and safest upholstery cleaner as the foam contains a surfactant that encapsulates the dirt and this can then removed by a micro fibre towel.

Start at the top of the area you are cleaning and wipe the area with the sponge using circular motions; do not scrub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. Work your way from the top of the area to the bottom. Apply medium pressure. When you reach the bottom, rinse with a wet micro fibre towel until all residues has been removed. Squeeze excess water out of the cloth before you rinse off the leather. Buff dry surface with a clean micro fibre towel

Scratched leather - Leather Master's Scratch Away (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) is a professional formula designed to erase these light surface scratches and scuffs. It performs this by moving the surrounding dye to cover the area where the colour is missing – Detailer's Domain
Appreciate 0