E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i exhaust mod help

11-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
pt00069
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

335i exhaust mod help

Hey,

I would just like to start out by saying thank you to everyone on this forum. I am almost always able to find an answer to any problem I have from this site. I have a question that I haven't been able to find a definite answer for yet though so I figured I would make an acct and ask all of you awesome people!

I have a 2009 e90 and I am planning on getting new ss exhaust tips welded on in a couple days. The guy at the muffler shop said that he could cut before the flapper that is on the left side and weld the tip on. Do yall recommend cutting the flapper out or cutting after it and leaving it in place? Would it throw any codes if it is cut out?

Next question, I will be purchasing the VRSF catless dps and fmic in the near future. What is everyones opinion on the sound with catless dps and the rest stock? Should I go with a resonator delete also? or remove second set of cats?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Cdubb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 650i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt00069 View Post
Hey,

I would just like to start out by saying thank you to everyone on this forum. I am almost always able to find an answer to any problem I have from this site. I have a question that I haven't been able to find a definite answer for yet though so I figured I would make an acct and ask all of you awesome people!

I have a 2009 e90 and I am planning on getting new ss exhaust tips welded on in a couple days. The guy at the muffler shop said that he could cut before the flapper that is on the left side and weld the tip on. Do yall recommend cutting the flapper out or cutting after it and leaving it in place? Would it throw any codes if it is cut out?

Next question, I will be purchasing the VRSF catless dps and fmic in the near future. What is everyones opinion on the sound with catless dps and the rest stock? Should I go with a resonator delete also? or remove second set of cats?

Thanks!
i havent done any of these things but removing the flaps is the same thing as a"golf tee" mod essentially (i think). I wouldn't think that it would throw codes. And yes catless DPs sound way better than stock exhaust. I went with a muffler delete because i like having a chance at passing SMOG.
      11-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

You will need a tune in order to fully take advantage of downpipes. And without a tune, the downpipes will throw a CEL. I don't know why you would physically cut out the flapper. It can easily be opened electronically through the JB4 or by unplugging the actuator in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
pt00069
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
You will need a tune in order to fully take advantage of downpipes. And without a tune, the downpipes will throw a CEL. I don't know why you would physically cut out the flapper. It can easily be opened electronically through the JB4 or by unplugging the actuator in the trunk.

I have a cobb ap, just looking to go to stage 2+. The muffler shop suggested cutting it out since they had done it before and I think that they wanted a little more room to work with welding the tips on.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
pt00069
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubb View Post
i havent done any of these things but removing the flaps is the same thing as a"golf tee" mod essentially (i think). I wouldn't think that it would throw codes. And yes catless DPs sound way better than stock exhaust. I went with a muffler delete because i like having a chance at passing SMOG.

Yep, I've seen the golf tee mod done before. I think I'm going to go with the catless downpipes and an x-pipe in place of the resonator. Hoping for a good sound from that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
Cdubb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 650i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt00069 View Post
Yep, I've seen the golf tee mod done before. I think I'm going to go with the catless downpipes and an x-pipe in place of the resonator. Hoping for a good sound from that.
yes that will sound really good, post a video when its done
      11-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
DE92an
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi coupe

Garage List
Golf tee mod will have a hidden code, i have VRSF dp with golf tee and it sounds good but after 6 months I want more looking to get a PE soon, and leave the flapper on so everything can go back to stock when i plan to sell down the road.