E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > In Search Of A Business Partner/Investor

10-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post In Search Of A Business Partner/Investor

For two years I have been in search of a business partner/investor for a custom tune shop like Unique and WCC. I have building plans, marketing, debut car build sheets, etc all set up. Only problem is I can't find a business partner/investor to help fund the process.

Your probably thinking why open up a shop nor less ask a forum when they can get all the parts and info they need. Well obviously I wouldn't be targeting you guys. It took me a while but I learned that the celeberties seen on tv are not the only people with money. The world is full of people that have more money then the celeberties minus the recognition and those are the people you want to target.

In general the shop is a rectangular shape with the back having two lifts, one wheel/tire mount machine, a big work floor, and a dynojet. As we grow we would make a wood shop in the corner and a interior shop in another. The front of the building will have a reception desk, small lunch/meeting room, 2-3 office rooms, a smal lounge, and a showroom for 1-2 cars.

The debut of the store would be through two debut cars. One modded Aston Martin,Porsche Turbo,M5, or M6, and my version of the first US e46 M3 CSL using OEM CSL Parts (yes, I can get the parts ). Both the M3 CSL and other car would debut in magazines, shown around dealerships, and maybe I can get a C&D test for the US M3 CSL.

I can't give away my fully made build sheet but my "twisted" M3 CSL would be a competition M3 in int. blue. OEM CSL Doors, seats, console, vorstiner parts, Neez QD7, Delage Airbox w/ custom tuning and for the future i will be releasing a stage 2 M3 CSL with a fully built motor along with the Delage airbox, w/ custom tuning, etc. I can build the car only thing needed is it to be shipped to AA or D/A for custom tuning.

The CSL will have the CSL badge and door sill. I know some will say that is posing but i feel it will be just fine as this car will be the first US M3 CSL using OEM CSL Parts, C/F Airbox W/ Custom Tuning, etc. Yes the sound won't be 100% same but with the cams+airbox+ss setup can't go wrong with that plus you have the sure driving pleasure of the SMG.

I know alot of guys with m3s on forums have the csl look but noone completed the look and performance thus this will be a first. Closest person to the csl is daytona from m3forum. only thing hes missing is the performance aspect of the csl.

After debut and further promotion, I plan on selling 5 stage 1 CSL, 5 stage 2 CSL, and 5 Stage 3 S/C CSLs. Clientell, magazines, more debuts, and company will grow and we will be off from there. The start is the hardest part.

My main target company is CEC. i am a big fan of him. Claus didn't have what he has now without meeting his wife. but still as the company grows i plan to make more shops like CEC with a small showroom and salesman.

Please don't post any neg comments. This is what i want to do for a living. I simply just love cars. I can only tune BMW, Benz, Porsche, Bentley, Range, Aston, Rolls, and Ferrari but can definatley tune whatever with internet power.

It is a longshot posting on a forum for a business partner/investor but why not give it a shot. If you read up to hear thank you for reading

Last edited by hl0m4n; 10-23-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
I admire your efforts, being a business studnent myself I always have an eye to make a couple bucks.....

My knowledge of this industry is somewhat limited although I have friends who have worked for shops such as Sprewell Racing, Oracle Motorsports, and some other high end places......

Where do you plan on opening your shop?
By dropping CEC I'm assuming you are going after the high end tuners like ACS, Brabus and Lorienser (spelling?) etc......?
I also may assume you are located in SoCal? Unless CEC has another showroom somewhere else?
      10-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i am located in NY. area i wouldn't know as of yet. that would be once i find myself a partner/investor. i am willing to move to ca if there is someone there. CEC currently has 3 locations, socal, newport and florida. CEC only uses fully their sponsored items such as lorinser, brabus, etc. people now days don't want that. they want mix and match, a custom look to make them really stand out.

the car tuning industury knowledge is a must not unless you are just a investor or just help open shop and collect a %. once the shop is open all is easy there. keep it simple is the key thing. having a showroom with a first US CSL for a debut is a
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

If you need an awesome employee, let me know.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Do you need a partner cuz you're short of money or do you just have the ideas and no money at all? No one is gonna throw in $1-2 mil to fulfill your dreams. (I didn't mean to sound negitive)
Have you try getting a loan? This is the only way to start.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

if you dont mind me asking, how much capital you looking for an investor to come up with?
      10-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Do you need a partner cuz you're short of money or do you just have the ideas and no money at all? No one is gonna throw in $1-2 mil to fulfill your dreams. (I didn't mean to sound negitive)
Have you try getting a loan? This is the only way to start.
+1

this isn't intended to be a negative comment but by the sounds of your plans it sounds pretty expensive and I take it that your still young? getting a 2-3million dollar loan from the bank is going to be pretty hard that is if they give you the time of day being that you haven't build enough credit as your parents or someone older (just assuming your young) but anyway it sounds like a great idea and I hope you the best of luck man
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

the great thing is there are many millionairs out there expecially near me rio vista in jersey, tenafly, new city, greenwich, etc. i used to think think that the people you saw in magazines, tv, were millionairs but boy was i wrong. there are so many other millionairs/billionairs out there that aren't famous but just do work without the publicity.

im a need of both.

1. partner/investor b/c i have no money. if i can find a partner with money to invest or make my building we can come up with a % plan, ownership, etc. sooner or later i would eventually buy out my partner/investor and be the official owner. it would be like you invest/be partners with me for my ideas that will give you sucess. i pay you off eventually and company is mine. this would be great but would be a stretch in the search. possible yes, most likely no.

2. my family comes from a business relation besides mom (cardiac nurse). both parrents are immigrants and my father worked at sony for graphic design and opened up his own private jet company. he still works at sony and has a good friend of his manage the business when he is not there. its hard to start a business but once started and you got the right mindset you can't fail. there is no way i will ask my parent's for a loan or a boost start. like my father and rest of my family i want to venture solo find my own solution and work from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
no doubt but will you be willing to move
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i don't find ammusement in college. i know for a fact that cars and tuning shop is the way to go for me. i can go hours talking about cars and eventually have to be told to shutup from friends haha.

but i have had business experience. started ebay at 13 opened store at 14 and made about a good $100k from that. learned from pops too uncles, and rest of family who does business. i stopped ebay last year though to prep for college etc but now that im here i see no reason to spend $40k in tuituion if i know what i want to do and how im going to do it. so as soon as i can get this up and running im dropping out of college and 100% focus is on that.

you don't need college for everything now days. you have the skills, mindset, etc and you can achieve anything. keep it simple, be organized, plan ahead, and be devoted.

Last edited by hl0m4n; 10-23-2007 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i make full buildsheets on xcel. exterior, interior, performance, rims+tires, suspension and optional. i fill it in which i can do freehand and on the spot top to bottom.

the csl project will cost you an m3 +$100,000. oem csl parts which you can't get from any dealer in the us.

you might be wondering wtf $150,000 m3 no thanks but if you are a true enthusiasist having 1/5 custom built csl with c/f airbox and cams custom tuned by d/a or aa with oem csl badge, door sill, seats, vorsteiner roof, bumper, neez qd7, bbk, JEBUS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
rwwong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 Jeep Hemi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I like your guts! Bill Gates had a dream, and dropped out of college to start Microsoft.
      10-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

I'm in NY and looking to invest in something automobile related, but not really a custom shop. What i'd love is buy an Auto Dealership, maybe even a struggling one to turn around. I've even mentioned my aspirations on this board before...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Here's my two cents: finding an investor is not as easy as you think. Even if there are rich people out there, no one is just going to willingly throw their money into something that is not completely planned out down to the last details.

When you go to a bank and apply for a loan or to a venture capitalist and ask for investments, you better have a pretty darn good business plan for them to see. Also, starting out big is not the way to go. You have to start small somewhere and build it up. This way you wont have too much to manage. You should also get some experience (preferably a lot of it) before even thinking about opening up a tuner shop.

I know it's very easy to dream or think you can do it but to actually do it and succeed at it is a different thing. I'm sure you're a bright guy and you will probably succeed. I just wanted to share my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
leejoobin
help
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Sounds like a great plan.
Now i'm not sure what kind of experience you have working with cars.
But maybe you wanna start from the very bottom. (maybe you already have)
Because this sure isn't a small plan.
And those people that you are targeting need to at least heard about you, know what you can do, and know what great jobs you have ALREADY DONE.
and because they're not celebrities. they probably didn't get their money as easy as the celebrities did. (not saying all celebrities don't work hard)
So they're most likely the ones who value their money more than anyone else in this world. (won't be easy getting them to invest on you, even if they're real interested and have the same mind to see how great it can turn out.)

i believe the guy who started FedEx ( can't remember his name) wrote a business plan in college about doing the whole overnight delivery service and got a barely passing grade.
i'm not sure maybe his plan wasn't well written, but now it turned out to be a very sucessful business.
He also had the problem that you are having rite now.
But he used the family money to start it.
Which you said you don't want to.

it's like people asking for a job that they THINK they can do, but don't qualify for it.
Now I sure am NOT trying to be negative.
I know there are people that they CAN actually do the job.
but the problem is most employer/investor/partners are not even willing to think about taking that risk. (unless you qualify for it and have experience)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #16
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwong View Post
I like your guts! Bill Gates had a dream, and dropped out of college to start Microsoft.
Bill Gates dropped out because he knew Microsoft would be one of the firsts of its kind. How many other tuner shops exist, that can offer pretty much the same thing?? I don't see people modding out their high end cars either.. I think they would much rather keep it pure. an Aston Martin?!?!??

-Nathan
      10-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #17
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

In ny and willing to do all but provide capital. As i recently blown 85% of all my capital on this car. Everything i have is mine and payed for by me. But a partner im there. A worker im there. But simply cannot invest sorry buddy.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

I have the capital to do an investment, but Ive been holding off for either a real estate deal in Manhattan or usuing it for a down payment on my own home
      10-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #19
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
GL to you man...
keep moving forward and things will fall into place!
      10-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #20
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwong View Post
now he's slammed with antitrust cases and just recently lost a few hundred billion overseas in the European market.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #21
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

OP, not to sound condescending or anything, but your expectations are unrealistic. First and foremost, in your case, you wouldn't be going to college to find out what you want to do exactly, you'll be going to college to put some weight under your belt.

If you have a degree from a top tier university, there's a much greater chance that you'll find an investor. Just looking ove what you're saying and looking for, IMO, i think you'd be a terrible investment (once again, i'm not trying to put you down, but rather your processes going about trying to find partners)

second,
If you feel that you have a set business plan with all the mathematical and business models developed, WHY NOT go to your parents if you'll yield a "potentially-profitable" income? If they earn a significant return on their investment, especially an investment toward their own son, why would they hold back?

third,
If you made a good $100,000 on ebay, with relative ease, why would you NOT stick with that (for the time that you would've spent going to college), expand that business, and accrue enough revenue to start your own shop?

All in all, IMHO, i think your expectations are short-lived and transitory.

Nonetheless, GL with your endeavors; and if you find an investor, consider my lips sealed.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #22
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Still unemployed???
Appreciate 0