E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 07 E90 328i

08-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Maninder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Caltrain

07 E90 328i

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-JackHammer.../dp/B001DYJJVS

I was thinking about having those installed in my trunk but I'm concerned that they would drain my battery. Could someone give me some information on how to install subs this big?

Sorry in advance if theres a thread existing on this subject, I looked but couldn't find one.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Subs get their power from an amplifier. The amplifier pulls power from the battery. So the questions are really:

- Will Amplifier X drain my battery?

- Is amplifier X a good choice for this subwoofer?

- Why in the heck do I want this huge subwoofer box in my trunk? (OK, I threw that in.)

I have an 07 328, I can't imagine wanting one of these in my car - what are you trying to do?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Navdeepz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328i Sports Package

Question

Thanks for your answer VP & thanks Maninder for posting the question form me.

I agree with you that 328i has a very good audio system & given that mine has a audio package installed I have no complains form the system. It's just that I wanted to get some more base out of my music. Is there some other way you suggest that I can get the base enhancement done??

Also my original question stil remains that if I put in a 1000W mono Amp & subwoofer in my trunk will it impact/drain the battery of my car a lot & I have to have another battery installed in it??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Maninder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Caltrain

BUMP!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
texas2009
Sure, it's just a sedan...
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

1. I believe your alt could handle, just don't plan on running it without the engine.

2. Pay attention to the rms, not peak. If the amp you're looking at is 1000w rms, it will likely fry those subs. They are only 250w rms, 500w peak. Totally different.

3. That prefabbed box's port fires out of one side of it. I don't know for sure how that would sound in these cars, but it isn't how I would do it.

4. VP has more knowledge of this stuff (and is more willing to share) than anyone else I've read on any forum.

Questions:
What effect are you trying to acheive? Super heavy bass that I can hear as you drive by on the road and I'm in my office on the 4th floor? Nice tight clean bass that thumps, but doesn't rattle everything? Somewhere in the middle?
What is your budget?
Do you care what your trunk looks like?
Do you care how much trunk you have left? (The last two are totally seperate questions to me, but not some people on here.)

Last edited by texas2009; 08-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: if/is
Appreciate 0