E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL SLUDGE and oill change warning

06-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Angry OIL SLUDGE and oill change warning

Just figured I would post some info about your warranty and oil changes.
My car was due for service at 16k miles, my dealer refused service due to my issues with them, so I had it serviced at a independent shop, he did not reset the computer due to what he says are issues with BMWNA saying they will viod my warrenty. A few months later my E93 blew its first HPFP, so it was taken to Myrtle Beach BMW and they also changed the oil due it it being behind on service ( explained to them that a Indy shop did it ) and replaced the computer since it shait the bed to.
Over the next few years the car as ate 4 to 5 more HPFP's and they have serviced the car each time the computer said to change the oil, one time it was about 20K before they changed the oil.

So a few weeks ago I got the limp warning and they towed it back to them, they had just replaced another HPFP close to 2 months before and the car had almost 4K miles on it since its last oil change.
After a few days they tell me the engine is well ruined and full of sludge and all the computer and sensors are reporting fails.
So they call BMWNA and BMWNA basically said I did not change the oil enough and that since it has 54K miles its out of warrenty and that I did not change the oil till the car had 24K miles and was 11K over the time it needed to be changed.
Well the dealer refused service and I had it changed the next day at a indy shop, which was when the car told me it needed changed.
So I send the paperwork showing it was changed and BMWNA says no the computer says it was not changed and thats why my motor is done.
WTF

So i guess now I will have to lawyer up over this to.
Bottom line, guys BMWNA will not honor your oil changes done at independent shops.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
that sucks.. good to know though. sorry you had to find out the hard way
      06-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
Bottom line, guys BMWNA will not honor your oil changes done at independent shops.
Take #2.

They will, but you have to do your homework.

Was it oil recommended by BWM (LL-01) and genuine OEM oil filter? Otherwise, *good luck*.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Take #2.

They will, but you have to do your homework.

Was it oil recommended by BWM (LL-01) and genuine OEM oil filter? Otherwise, *good luck*.
yes it was the right kind of oil, I am at a loss for their reasoning over not fixing the car when it was changed when their computer said it needed changing
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

If you have all the receipts showing the oil changes you performed they wont have a leg to stand on in court...I would go check my shoe boxes for receipts or hopefully the Indy shop has the history
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

The dealership and BMWNA have the paperwork but still refuse to fix the car
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The original post is so poorly written, I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it is reasonable and makes sense that BMW wouldn't honor oil changes from independent mechanics because you can reset the service monitor and never change the oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm a little confused but what stuck out was that you waited 20K to change the oil. I change mine every 5K regardless of what the little light says
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Just figured I would post some info about your warranty and oil changes. My car was due for service at 16k miles, my dealer refused service due to my issues with them, so
It appears that you had problems with your dealer in the past and they didn't want to deal with you anymore and this just gave them that excuse.

By the way, why would you go back to a dealer you were having problems with? Now your current problem is on BMW's system and all dealerships will refuse to work on your car. Looks like you will have to pony-up and try to sue.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Read the original post fellas the car has 54k miles, out of warranty. Not sure how you could make this BMW's issue regardless of the oil change issue. If they were to fix it they would not be doing so out of a legal requirement but out of goodwill and in an attempt to make a customer happy. How could you have a case in filing a lawsuit to try and make a company fix a car at their cost when they have no legal requirement to do so whatsoever??? I am 100% sure there is more to the story then we are getting from the OP. I would imagine you would have to be a major pain in the ass to get a BMW dealership to refuse to maintain your car. They are clearly not motivated to try and get the factory to show some goodwill in this case. I would guess that BMW would likely not do it regardless. We are talking about huge money to fix this and in their minds there is some question if the customer did all he could to avoid the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
According to the above logic, BMWNA will not honor interim and low mileage oil changes done by their dealerships either, because they don't reset the computer when they do so.

Could you imagine BMW running a health care the way they run their warranty program?

The car is NOT under warranty so lets look at the facts.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

According to the above logic, BMWNA will not honor interim and low mileage oil changes done by their dealerships either, because they don't reset the computer when they do so.

Could you imagine BMW running a health care the way they run their warranty program?

But what doesn't make any sense at all, is if you don't reset the computer, but you do oil changes whenever the computer says to, and you reset it that way, there's no way you can possibly not change the oil often enough. In other words, the computer didn't light up, you have it changed at an indy, he doesn't touch anything, the oil change comes up sooner as if the indy never changed the oil. It's really pretty ridiculous how BMW handles things.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

But what doesn't make any sense at all, is if you don't reset the computer, but you do oil changes whenever the computer says to, and you reset it that way, there's no way you can possibly not change the oil often enough. In other words, the computer didn't light up, you have it changed at an indy, he doesn't touch anything, the oil change comes up sooner as if the indy never changed the oil. It's really pretty ridiculous how BMW handles things.
Car isn't under warranty. Also the independent said that he could not reset the computer because it would void the warranty not BMW. Finally it sounds like the guy drove it for 11 thousand miles with the computer showing it overdue. When he brought it in for a HFPF issue they changed the oil and my guess is reported it as overdue because at that time they had no other information to go by to say otherwise. Sounds like the OP did not point out the independent oil change until the car was out of warranty and the engine was ruined and he was looking for BMW to cut him a break. I don't see how BMW has done anything wrong at all. Nor has the OP really, things happen. It sucks but BMW is not responsible for this repair although it would be nice if they would help him out.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Lord
MB BMW knew I had the oil changed at 16K miles ( when it was due to be changed )
MB BMW has been changing the oil when the computer said to change it with the maintenance.
The oil was just changed 4k miles ago and now the engine has failed due to sludge that just now happened ?
BMWNA said I voided the warranty by not having the oil changed at 16K miles, now that I have given them proof they say they do not honor oil changes that are NOT done by BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Car isn't under warranty. Also the independent said that he could not reset the computer because it would void the warranty not BMW. Finally it sounds like the guy drove it for 11 thousand miles with the computer showing it overdue. When he brought it in for a HFPF issue they changed the oil and my guess is reported it as overdue because at that time they had no other information to go by to say otherwise. Sounds like the OP did not point out the independent oil change until the car was out of warranty and the engine was ruined and he was looking for BMW to cut him a break. I don't see how BMW has done anything wrong at all. Nor has the OP really, things happen. It sucks but BMW is not responsible for this repair although it would be nice if they would help him out.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

You have a strong case. BMW is just trying to stop you from filing a lawsuit.

Sort of like the "Not responsible for...." signs you see everywhere. Those provide no legal protection whatsoever. They're simply designed to make people stop from even trying to fight.

This is all my opinion, of course.
      06-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
It appears that you had problems with your dealer in the past and they didn't want to deal with you anymore and this just gave them that excuse.

By the way, why would you go back to a dealer you were having problems with? Now your current problem is on BMW's system and all dealerships will refuse to work on your car. Looks like you will have to pony-up and try to sue.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Something is fishy here and the OP just don't get it.

No way that sludge is killing an engine even if oil was last changed at 16K and now at 54K.

There is something else not mentioned here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

SLudge deems an engine a complete failure? Please let us know what happened, but cant you just take out the intake manifold and clean off some of the sludge?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:

No way that sludge is killing an engine even if oil was last changed at 16K and now at 54K.

I'm still trying to get a handle on "my dealer refused service due to my issues with them".

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

sludge CAN kill an engine if it blocks those small holes and passage that the oil flows through to cool and lubricate,no
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lord
MB BMW knew I had the oil changed at 16K miles ( when it was due to be changed )
MB BMW has been changing the oil when the computer said to change it with the maintenance.
The oil was just changed 4k miles ago and now the engine has failed due to sludge that just now happened ?
BMWNA said I voided the warranty by not having the oil changed at 16K miles, now that I have given them proof they say they do not honor oil changes that are NOT done by BMW.
Show us how BMW has any obligation whatsoever to fix a car for free that is out of warranty regardless of the oil change issue. You can try to spin this all you want and make it someone else's issue but it is not unfortunately. Once a car is out of warranty it is out of warranty. I suspect there is much more to the story then we will know. I hope things work out for you but I would not waste money on an attorney to try and get the factory to pay for a repair on a car that is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

We're not getting the whole story. Something is not right here and we're all very smart to not throw BMW under the bus just yet.
Appreciate 0