E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Texting/Distracted Drivers - Uggh!

03-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Angry Texting/Distracted Drivers - Uggh!

I don't know if it's just me but I see so many people (young and old) texting, looking at their smartphone, etc. Every time I see it, it drives me crazy.

They do have laws and fines to tackle these situations but I never see anyone being pulled over and ticketed. Today on my way to work, through the window on the train, I saw a handful of people looking at their phones and it got me thinking, I wish there was a way of outing or embarrassing these people into stopping. There should be a blog with pictures of these d-bags and what they're doing.

Am, I crazy or justified in this irrational hate towards these drivers?? Mind you, I'm in my late 30's and just can't stand this behaviour. What's your take?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
I don't know if it's just me but I see so many people (young and old) texting, looking at their smartphone, etc. Every time I see it, it drives me crazy.

They do have laws and fines to tackle these situations but I never see anyone being pulled over and ticketed. Today on my way to work, through the window on the train, I saw a handful of people looking at their phones and it got me thinking, I wish there was a way of outing or embarrassing these people into stopping. There should be a blog with pictures of these d-bags and what they're doing.

Am, I crazy or justified in this irrational hate towards these drivers?? Mind you, I'm in my late 30's and just can't stand this behaviour. What's your take?
i am with you. I don't get that angry... jsut annoyed and disgusted about it because it is sooo common to see people driving while "distracted". I don't think it will ever stop. Just today while on the LIE moving at 10 MPH as usual, I watched this guy pay more attention to the news paper he had spread across his steering wheel that the road in front of him.

People will always find something else to do behind the wheel other that driving. All we can do is sit back, watch them take up two lanes, slam on their brakes, or have 6 car lengths between them and the car in front of them during rush hour traffic... lol

You can curse at them all you want. it won't change a thing. In fact, the more you bring it to someone's attention that they are doing something wrong, the more they will retaliate... and I see you are in BK so we have all had our "physical conflicts" after trying to put someone in their place form time to time... lol. Stay safe on the roads my friend.
      03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Good topic. I agree with your assessments. I guess some will only realize what they are doing when something or someone gets in their way suddenly while they are glued to either texting or surfing.

Rather disappointingly, I read an article by Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear who actually advocates more texting, emailing, and surfing during commuting as a way to increase workplace productivity.

Surprisingly, cops in India are really good an enforcing the no cellphone while driving law. They extend this to talking as well, so I guess it is easier to see someone with a phone glued to their ear.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the comments. I agree that you can't force people to change their behaviour but you can have an influencing role for those people directly in your lives. Not trying to sound preachy but I only see this getting worse.

The worst offender I ever saw was this one guy on 14th and 3rd Ave, probably late 20's, early 30's or so. Anyway, the guy is holding the steering wheel with his knees and totally not looking at at the road, driving at 5-10mph. My first reaction was WTF is this guy doing so, I slapped the side of his window and he snapped to attention. As he does so, he gave me a look that would kill and all I can think is "you're a d-bag" and went on my way.

Man, I guess I shouldn't dwell on it too much since there are also other bad drivers (drunks, people who are high, medicated, tired). Arrgh.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

texting and driving: strange behavior.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I have even seen cops doing that in their police car while cursing around the town. Do I get a reward of something if I take a picture and send it to the city?
      04-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:

How about people that watch other drivers on there phone instead of paying attention to the road J/K

I can't say anything, becasue I'm guilty of it pretty frequently
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
How about people that watch other drivers on there phone instead of paying attention to the road J/K

I can't say anything, becasue I'm guilty of it pretty frequently
No, it's not that at all. I'm not looking at other drivers when behind the wheel, since I'm watching the road. But, if it's when I'm walking or in public transportation that I notice the most.

Well, you can't change people but hopefully you'll stay incident free. Can't say I condone it though.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Well, you can't change people but hopefully you'll stay incident free. Can't say I condone it though.
Now that I think about, ever since I bought my 6MT, I only text while I am at red lights... So I guess Im not doing too bad
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My sister got rear ended by a texting driver. Her car was totaled from the damage. If your going to text and drive do it at stoplights or somewhere where your the only person that can get hurt. What's so wrong with calling people over Bluetooth instead of texting them?
Appreciate 0