E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Mysterious noise

12-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
g852grant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

Mysterious noise

Hi all,

A new noise popped up a little while ago and I'm trying to figure out what it is. The sound is somewhat similar to a wheel bearing going out, but is a lot more constant (not so much of a wub-wub-wub noise and more of a wuuuuuuuu noise) The noise only happens between 55 and 85 mph and comes from the back of the car.

I had been doing some research, and it looks like the driveshaft can make this noise if it goes bad. I also think it could be the center support bearing, guibo, differential or one of the drive axles.

Any ideas?

For reference, it's a manual 330i with an auto 328i diff with a CDV delete. about 131,000 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g852grant View Post
Hi all,

A new noise popped up a little while ago and I'm trying to figure out what it is. The sound is somewhat similar to a wheel bearing going out, but is a lot more constant (not so much of a wub-wub-wub noise and more of a wuuuuuuuu noise) The noise only happens between 55 and 85 mph and comes from the back of the car.

I had been doing some research, and it looks like the driveshaft can make this noise if it goes bad. I also think it could be the center support bearing, guibo, differential or one of the drive axles.

Any ideas?

For reference, it's a manual 330i with an auto 328i diff with a CDV delete. about 131,000 miles on it.
Check your tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g852grant View Post
Hi all,

Any ideas?

Check your tires.
That's the only thing it could be right? What else makes a wuuuu wuuu wuuu instead of a wubb wubb wubb...HA.

Haha, hard to tell from your descriptors, as rjahl mentioned, check your tires(tread first, then balancing), if they check out, get a video or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
g852grant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
That's the only thing it could be right? What else makes a wuuuu wuuu wuuu instead of a wubb wubb wubb...HA.

Haha, hard to tell from your descriptors, as rjahl mentioned, check your tires(tread first, then balancing), if they check out, get a video or something.
okay, so imagine you have a subwoofer that is stuck on one tone, only changing in volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Bent rim or wheel out of balance is my guess