E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Removing Diffuser with 3M tape

10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

Removing Diffuser with 3M tape

Hey guys,

I installed my Vorsteiner diffuser with 3m 2 faced tape and now i wanna remove it. Any tips on how to remove it without damaging/cracking the diffuser? Also do you think the tape will leave a stain on the bumper?

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

just use a hairdryer or heatgun and heat the area where tape has been applied... i didnt have either of those handy. so i waited until it was a hot day and parked my car outside... i took off my front splitters (this was on my e90 328) and it came off easily. it still takes quite a bit of force to get it off but it will come off clean.

the tape did leave a minor amt of residue behind but nothing significant. i whipped out my clay bar and some car wash soap and clayed away any residue left... there was no damage to the paint whatsoever... this is what i like bout 3m tape. it works very well without causing any damage to the surface underneath. of course, this wont be true if you mounted anything with epoxy or betalink.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
just use a hairdryer or heatgun and heat the area where tape has been applied... i didnt have either of those handy. so i waited until it was a hot day and parked my car outside... i took off my front splitters (this was on my e90 328) and it came off easily. it still takes quite a bit of force to get it off but it will come off clean.

the tape did leave a minor amt of residue behind but nothing significant. i whipped out my clay bar and some car wash soap and clayed away any residue left... there was no damage to the paint whatsoever... this is what i like bout 3m tape. it works very well without causing any damage to the surface underneath. of course, this wont be true if you mounted anything with epoxy or betalink.
awesome, gonna take it off sometime this week
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

if your selling it LMK!!
Appreciate 0