E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Why BMW sucks!

01-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
PHR
phr
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Why BMW sucks!

so, i took my car into the dealership due to a noise coming from the engine. The noise sounded like a rattle, which came when the engine was at about 1200rpm.
The dealer kept my car for 3 days, and than called me and said that they were going to replace my turbos, and that the noise was coming from them. So, since my car is all under wanrtey, i said ok.

Tuesday night, i picked up my car, after the turbos had been replaced, drove home, and the noise was gone, car was running smooth, i was happy.

next morning(wednesday)... i start my car, let it warm up, for a good 15 minutes, and than took off, and about 15 minutes of driving later, check engine light pops up on the dash, and the Idrive has a message... it has a picture with a car on the hoist and it was red, and beside it it sais "Electronic Falut: Don't drive vehicle, please stop carefully. Contact nearest BMW dealer" and when i called them they told me they did not know what was worng, and that if i could, to bring it in. and once i took it in, after a hour of waiting, while they scanned my car, they told me they still don't know whats wrong, and that they would call me when they find out, so they got me a courtesy vehicle, and i was on my way.

Yesterday (thrusday) they call me to tell me that they "think" the problem is coming from the aftermarket subwoofer/amplifier i had installed, and that i should have it removed so they can rescan the car. i asked the service advisor to ask the mechanic if their was any way they could rescan the car, without me goign through the inconveince of coming back and forth and getting it all removed, and the service advisor told me that they would ask the mechanic and call me back, so i waited all day to receive no call.

This monring(friday) i called BMW again, and they told me they removed my system(with no authorization from me) and that they still are not sure if thats what was causing the problem...and ontop of that.. i have to pay $500 for the work they have performed (which i never asked them to perform).

the car is a 2009 335i coupe 6 speed

and so far its had 5 HPFP replacements
a full turbo kit replacement
and now a problem they dont know of

anybody have any ideas what could be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Undies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

it could be anything. any physical symptoms? or just a faulty code?

i have to remove my aftermarket custom head unit everytime i go in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
mathu.bala
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i/6mt

Garage List
2009 LCI 323i  [0.00]
that is fd up...dealers are assholes in general especially the BMW ones.
      01-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

which dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
PHR
phr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undies View Post
it could be anything. any physical symptoms? or just a faulty code?

i have to remove my aftermarket custom head unit everytime i go in.
just a faulty code
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
PHR
phr
Rep

BMW mississauga
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHR View Post
so, i took my car into the dealership due to a noise coming from the engine. The noise sounded like a rattle, which came when the engine was at about 1200rpm.
The dealer kept my car for 3 days, and than called me and said that they were going to replace my turbos, and that the noise was coming from them. So, since my car is all under wanrtey, i said ok.

Tuesday night, i picked up my car, after the turbos had been replaced, drove home, and the noise was gone, car was running smooth, i was happy.

next morning(wednesday)... i start my car, let it warm up, for a good 15 minutes, and than took off, and about 15 minutes of driving later, check engine light pops up on the dash, and the Idrive has a message... it has a picture with a car on the hoist and it was red, and beside it it sais "Electronic Falut: Don't drive vehicle, please stop carefully. Contact nearest BMW dealer" and when i called them they told me they did not know what was worng, and that if i could, to bring it in. and once i took it in, after a hour of waiting, while they scanned my car, they told me they still don't know whats wrong, and that they would call me when they find out, so they got me a courtesy vehicle, and i was on my way.

Yesterday (thrusday) they call me to tell me that they "think" the problem is coming from the aftermarket subwoofer/amplifier i had installed, and that i should have it removed so they can rescan the car. i asked the service advisor to ask the mechanic if their was any way they could rescan the car, without me goign through the inconveince of coming back and forth and getting it all removed, and the service advisor told me that they would ask the mechanic and call me back, so i waited all day to receive no call.

This monring(friday) i called BMW again, and they told me they removed my system(with no authorization from me) and that they still are not sure if thats what was causing the problem...and ontop of that.. i have to pay $500 for the work they have performed (which i never asked them to perform).

BMW doesn't suck. Just your experience with the dealer.
      01-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
next morning(wednesday)... i start my car, let it warm up, for a good 15 minutes, and than took off
WoW

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Jeff@EuropeanAutoCreations
Banned
Spain
Rep
Drives: white 335i

sounds like my old subaru that i sold just file a law suit it works
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Thussy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Go to another dealer? From what I've read on this forum (granted only a couple months)... BMW Mississauga is one of the 'not so great' BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

BMW car is excellent. Just Canada Stealership is lame.
We pay more than US and treated less. Eh?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
GTI-Gabe
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

So they did you a favour by disconnecting the amp and running the diagnostics so you wouldn't have to drive up there to disconnect yourslef?

Not bad considering most dealers wouldn't touch it.

And yes, check another dealer to see if they can figure the issue out (and remove the amps before bringing it in)
      01-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You just learned a valuable lesson. It's said on this forum over and over, remove your mods before going in for service. An after market sub and amp is no different then having a tune / flash or downpipes on your car.

Your lucky they didn't void a portion of your warranty and send you on your way.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
PHR
phr
Rep

but the amp was not the cause of the problem, the problem is still their
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

I do not have great experience either from BMW Mississauga. But I think they are fine for regular maintenance like oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
slaughterhouse
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

The aftermarket system should not affect your car in any way. I also would not pay the 500 since u did not authorize it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
You just learned a valuable lesson. It's said on this forum over and over, remove your mods before going in for service. An after market sub and amp is no different then having a tune / flash or downpipes on your car.

Your lucky they didn't void a portion of your warranty and send you on your way.
+1

But you really should take it to another dealer like downtown BMW.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI-Gabe View Post
So they did you a favour by disconnecting the amp and running the diagnostics so you wouldn't have to drive up there to disconnect yourslef?
How is that doing him a favour if they are charging him money for doing it? That's like me coming up to your car while it's parked on the side of the road and throwing a park bench on the trunk as a spoiler and afterwards asking you to give me $500 for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:

Lemon law might apply here. I'd push them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu.bala View Post
that is fd up...dealers are assholes in general especially the BMW ones.
Youre an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Exactly. It may well be that your after market audio guy screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #21
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4 & 2013 F30 328xi

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
2011 Audi A4 Avant  [10.00]
If you didn't ok the work I wouldn't pay end of story!!!

They need your consent otherwise they can't charge for it.
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
Nash335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

[QUOTE=PHR;8792023]BMW mississauga[/QUOTE

BMW OF Mississauga - GO Figure! - ive always had problems there - turns out their service management was fired! so lets hope it gets better. Read past threads about this dealership. Not the best in the area!
Nash335 - 2010 335i e92 MSport 19" Style 225 BMW Performance Black Grills H&R Spacers Michelin PSS KW V2 Afe DCI + Scoops AR Design DP Active FMIC Active Custom CP Active BOV BMS OCC Spec Stage 3+ Aquamist HPS4 + Howerton 2 Cobb Custom PTF Tune 500 HP Club!
Appreciate 0