E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

05-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #133
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Excellent info here

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #134
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Would it be possible to use the new Turtle Wax ICE Clay product in place of a true clay bar? Does anybody know if it does as good a job. I like the conveninece of the product, but won't use it if it's a scam...

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #135
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Would it be possible to use the new Turtle Wax ICE Clay product in place of a true clay bar? Does anybody know if it does as good a job. I like the conveninece of the product, but won't use it if it's a scam...
I've tried it but didn't see any different. It's more like wash soap than clay.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #136
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktekniq View Post
what are some recommended products for interior cleaning for the leather?
Z9 and Z10 are good for routine maintenance. For twice yearly deep cleaning, leatherique is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #137
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Never used it. But I have a hard time seeing how a liquid can do the same job as a piece of clay.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:12 AM   #138
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i, 1995 VW Passat

Jeez, David!! This thread is priceless - really. It will be another 3 months before I get my new 335i, but I have a '99 328i that can use your special recipe, as well as a '95 VW Passat I'm about to sell. I'll have the interior detailed at a local car wash, but I'll follow your twice-yearly detail plan for the exterior. Thank you so much for taking your obvious significant time on this subject. The effort you put in to this really shows.

One Q, I understand your suggested routine maintenance, but what do you recommend for the first time detail for a brand new light colored car off the lot? I plan on keeping it long-term (10-15 years). And I'll make sure to tell my salesman I do NOT want them to wash my car upon delivery. Are you serious about washing and using ZAIO before driving it home?

Cheers and many many thanks,
Ron
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #139
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
Jeez, David!! This thread is priceless - really. It will be another 3 months before I get my new 335i, but I have a '99 328i that can use your special recipe, as well as a '95 VW Passat I'm about to sell. I'll have the interior detailed at a local car wash, but I'll follow your twice-yearly detail plan for the exterior. Thank you so much for taking your obvious significant time on this subject. The effort you put in to this really shows.

One Q, I understand your suggested routine maintenance, but what do you recommend for the first time detail for a brand new light colored car off the lot? I plan on keeping it long-term (10-15 years). And I'll make sure to tell my salesman I do NOT want them to wash my car upon delivery. Are you serious about washing and using ZAIO before driving it home?

Cheers and many many thanks,
Ron
Hi Ron;

Thanks for the kind words.

For your situation, for a new car, I would wash, clay, ZAIO, and Z2Pro. You can do this once a year (or twice if you want). You can throw on a coat of Z2Pro after 6 months if not redoing the big detail, and some Z8 after every 1-2 months.

You don't have to detail it before driving it off the lot. You can take the car home and detail it soon after.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #140
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Hi Ron;

Thanks for the kind words.

For your situation, for a new car, I would wash, clay, ZAIO, and Z2Pro. You can do this once a year (or twice if you want). You can throw on a coat of Z2Pro after 6 months if not redoing the big detail, and some Z8 after every 1-2 months.

You don't have to detail it before driving it off the lot. You can take the car home and detail it soon after.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, David. So the ZAIO is the light polish, and you recommend this even if there are no swirls? And then the Z2Pro is the sealant. Got it. Last Q, do you recommend using an orbital polisher for the light polishing or sealant, or is by hand sufficient?

FYI, I've already shared this resource w/ two friends. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 02:29 AM   #141
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Disregard the last Q, David. I've re-read/studied this thread again, and found the answers. Thanks. Just need to buy the supplies, and I'm ready to go!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #142
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Disregard the last Q, David. I've re-read/studied this thread again, and found the answers. Thanks. Just need to buy the supplies, and I'm ready to go!
Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #143
BMFJOHN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i coupe

I didn't have time to read thru this whole thread, but I have a quick question: Is there any restrictions to car care in the first few months of owning the car i.e. waxing, cleaning? The car care guide seems to be missing from my owners manual info. Just got the car and am worried that I will mess up the fresh paint. Thanks
      05-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #144
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was at a Bay Area (northern Cal) dealer this last weekend trying to find a 3 series w/ Saddle Brown. Our salesman was driving me and my wife around the lot in the golf cart, when we drove past the 'washing stall'. I did NOT like the way they were washing the brand new BMWs. In support of what I saw at that moment, later we were looking at a sapphire black and monaco blue side by side. Looking at the right angle, I saw LOTS of swirl marks on the monaco blue car. And it was brand new!! Owner hadn't even picked it up at that time (at least I doubt it wasn't custom-ordered). So, to David's point, don't let the dealer wash your brand new car. It won't be the end of the world if they do, but I really want to make every effort to let my dealer know I really don't want my new 335i washed when we pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #145
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

David, this is the routine I came up with based on your info. I have no swirl marks on my '99 BMW, and don't expect swirl marks on my new car, so will be using nothing stronger than Zaino AIO. This is my twice yearly routine:
  1. wash (Zaino Z7, sheepskin wash mitts)
  2. dry (microfiber waffle weave)
  3. Zaino clay (do not apply pressure, let it glide)
  4. wash, dry
  5. Zaino AIO (will apply by hand, but AIO will benefit from orbital polisher application, always remove by hand. ZAIO will clean the paint, and act like a bonding agent for Z2 PRO)
  6. Zaino Z2 PRO (w/ ZFX) one coat
  7. Quick detail w/ Zaino Z6
  8. Zaino Z2 PRO (w/ ZFX) one coat
  9. Zaino Grand Finale Z8 spray

In between details I'll wash every 2-3 weeks and finish w/ Zaino Z8. Have all products ordered, just waiting... Thanks again. Ron
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #146
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFJOHN View Post
I didn't have time to read thru this whole thread, but I have a quick question: Is there any restrictions to car care in the first few months of owning the car i.e. waxing, cleaning? The car care guide seems to be missing from my owners manual info. Just got the car and am worried that I will mess up the fresh paint. Thanks
The paint on your car is baked and cured at the factory. You can go ahead and wash it and wax it. Have no worries.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #147
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Ron, your plan looks great! I can't wait to see pictures!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #148
pigbat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Electric Red

I do love the Zaino products and have recently picked up the Zaino-CS. I'm hoping this will add an extra layer of protection going into the harsh midwest winter months.

Great write-up David.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #149
doctor detroit
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

This thread is sick in a good sick kind of way. Incredible.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #150
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First Zaino Experience

So I purchased all my products, including towels, mitts, 3 Oxo wheel brushes (love 'em), bucket, Zaino car wash, AIO, Z2 w/ accelerator, Z6 and Z8.

Saturday I washed the my '99 328i pretty much using David's guide. I mainly focused on always rinsing the mitt with moderate-high pressure before putting it back into the clean soapy water. I then dried it (waffle weave microfiber towels worked great), and clayed it.

First time using clay. I actually used a cutting board and cleaver to cut it into usable pieces. I found I really needed to use a lot of the Z7 mix to create a lot of lubricant, otherwise the clay would hit a spot w/ minimial mix and my fingers would slip right off the clay. So I used a lot of Z7 mix. I had planned on washing the car after claying, to remove the residue, but it seemed fine simply wiping the Z7 mix off with a clean microfiber towel after finishing each section. I also noticed there was more embedded particles in the paint the lower I went. The lowest panel was horrible. I had a hard time telling if the surface was rough with impediments or with scratches or breaks in the paint due to pebbles, etc. on the road. I did use only half the car of clay, but felt I could have used another 2-3 pieces (each being 1/30th of the bar) on the lower panel, especially the front. I would recommend 2-3 pieces on the lower front of the car.

Next I used the Zaino AIO for a mild mild polish. This guide doesn't mention whether the applicator should be wet or dry (I don't think), but I wet mine, as there was far less friction, and the AIO spread far easier.

It required a bit more pressure to remove than I expected.

I then mixed 2 oz of Z2 along w/ 9 drops of accelerator. Using a new clean applicator (again wet), I covered the entire car, using as little as I possible could. I think David says 1 oz should do the car 3 times. I don't think I could have used any less, and think I would get about 2.5 coats per ounce. So I was pretty close. One-third an oz for a compact car is very very very little.

I then hit it with a coat of Z6, which I found I needed to pull the trigger only a fraction, and have my arm fanning back and forth. The nozzle does not give you a fine, widespread mist - only a concentrated very narrow blast, so you need to be careful otherwise you'll end up using far more than needed.

I still plan on another coat of Z2 tomorrow, and ending up with Z8. I also did a great job on my wheels, and am treated them exactly the same as my paint (this at the suggestion of a guy I spoke to at Zaino).

I haven't even touched the interior of my car at this point, and I spent 6 hours yesterday, and 2 more this morning. I'll use another 2 on the exterior and probably 2 on the interior, for a whopping total of 12 hours!! Glad I'll only be doing this twice a year!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #151
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

David, a question for you. So I applied 1 coat of Z2 today, and plan on applying another tomorrow. I drove the car about 100 miles today, so it obviously is no longer clean. I'd like to give it a 'quick detail' with Z6, but that seems to possibly introduce swirls, where a full wash is safer, albiet more time consuming. What do you recommend? If Z6, what about using a quick detailer on a car that is not clean?.

Also, after applying the Z2 today, and looking at the car in the sun, I do notice very fine swirls. My car is BMW's 'titanium silver', so they are not easily seen, but it does seem I'll be buying an orbiter and the appropriate product to remove swirls at some point. If I have recently applied 2 coats of Z2, and then use Z-PC to remove minor scratches, swirls, do I need to re-AIO or Z2?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ron
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #152
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
David, a question for you. So I applied 1 coat of Z2 today, and plan on applying another tomorrow. I drove the car about 100 miles today, so it obviously is no longer clean. I'd like to give it a 'quick detail' with Z6, but that seems to possibly introduce swirls, where a full wash is safer, albiet more time consuming. What do you recommend? If Z6, what about using a quick detailer on a car that is not clean?.
Definitely wash the car before adding another layer of Z2. I am 100% against quick detailing a dirty car, even mildly dirty.

Quote:
Also, after applying the Z2 today, and looking at the car in the sun, I do notice very fine swirls. My car is BMW's 'titanium silver', so they are not easily seen, but it does seem I'll be buying an orbiter and the appropriate product to remove swirls at some point. If I have recently applied 2 coats of Z2, and then use Z-PC to remove minor scratches, swirls, do I need to re-AIO or Z2?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ron
ZPC is an abrasive polish that will remove minor swirls and scratches along with any other wax or sealant that was previously applied. If you use ZPC you will either have to follow up with ZAIO followed by Z2, or if you use ZFX with your Z2 you can skip the ZAIO. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #153
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I also don't like the idea of quick detailing a mildly dirty car, and prefer the wash.

So you mean that because I used the ZFX accelerator w/ Z2, that I didn't need to buy and apply the AIO?

Since the ZPC removes my Z2, I think I'll plan on using ZPC for the first time just before it's next detailing in 6 months. That will also give me time to buy the orbiter and pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #154
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I also don't like the idea of quick detailing a mildly dirty car, and prefer the wash.

So you mean that because I used the ZFX accelerator w/ Z2, that I didn't need to buy and apply the AIO?

Since the ZPC removes my Z2, I think I'll plan on using ZPC for the first time just before it's next detailing in 6 months. That will also give me time to buy the orbiter and pads.
ZFX and ZAIO are different products and both worth having. However, you don't have to use both together (but you can. I'll get to that in a sec). For example, if you want to give your paint a good cleaning and throw on only one coat of sealant, then you can use AIO and Z2. If you just want to add multiple layers of sealant after a wash, the you would use ZFX enabled Z2. If you want to do both, clean the paint and add multiple layers of sealant, then you'd ZAIO first and use ZFX enabled Z2. Now the reason why you don't need to use ZFX for one coat of Z2 if you use ZAIO first is because the ZAIO also acts as a bonding agent for only one coat of Z2. Again, if you decide you want to use multiple coats of Z2 on top of the ZAIO you will need to use ZFX with it. Make sense?

In terms of your ZPC plan, that sounds good. Wait until your next detail to use it. That's what I would do also. For now, enjoy the beautiful shine!
Appreciate 0