E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > FMJ Sealent Question

05-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 X3

FMJ Sealent Question

I'm about to put a coat of Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) sealent on my car ...

Question is:

Is it best to put this on with a Buffer (Porter 7424) using a Blue Pad? (or Black?) , and on what speed ?

Or Should the best be done, by hand ?

I also read that this should be left for 24 hours (after FMJ removal of course) for best adherence before waxing? Any truth to this or can I do a coat of FMJ , followed by my Nutty's wax?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Applying the FMJ is more of a preference thing whether or not you want to use a buffer or apply it by hand. Personally, I usually apply last step products by hand. I find it easier to spread thin and you are more accurate getting in tighter areas of the vehicle and it's faster for me.

If you do use a buffer to apply it, use a speed setting of 2 or 3 and a blue (or black) pad.

Regarding the cure time, if you top it right away, you're going to sacrifice the durability of the FMJ. If the coat hasn't fully cured and bonded to the paint, when you wax over it you'd be primarily left with just wax on your paint and little to no sealant protection. If you weren't planning on waiting, there's almost no benefit in doing both steps other than spent time and product.

I always recommend waiting for the first maintenance wash to top it with a coat of wax. This also gives you time to appreciate the look of the sealant and compare the differences after the wax is on there.

Hope this helps,

George
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Applying the FMJ is more of a preference thing whether or not you want to use a buffer or apply it by hand. Personally, I usually apply last step products by hand. I find it easier to spread thin and you are more accurate getting in tighter areas of the vehicle and it's faster for me.

If you do use a buffer to apply it, use a speed setting of 2 or 3 and a blue (or black) pad.

Regarding the cure time, if you top it right away, you're going to sacrifice the durability of the FMJ. If the coat hasn't fully cured and bonded to the paint, when you wax over it you'd be primarily left with just wax on your paint and little to no sealant protection. If you weren't planning on waiting, there's almost no benefit in doing both steps other than spent time and product.

I always recommend waiting for the first maintenance wash to top it with a coat of wax. This also gives you time to appreciate the look of the sealant and compare the differences after the wax is on there.

Hope this helps,

George
Thanks a million George. Just what I suspected. I will let it be for a few days, until my first wash, then top it with Natty's Blue.

Another quickie:

Any benefit to 2 or 3 coats of FMJ , each a couple of days apart ?

Or is it sufficient to do one coat of FMJ , then top it after first wash with Natty's Blue (my favorite wax for Jet Black)

Thanks again !
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
FMJ is one of the slickest LSP i've ever used in my life, it'ss so easy to remove too. don't forget to get HGAS too.

but the durability is terrible. i switched to Zaino this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
FMJ is one of the slickest LSP i've ever used in my life, it'ss so easy to remove too. don't forget to get HGAS too.

but the durability is terrible. i switched to Zaino this year.
Interesting ... All depends what you read I guess. I hear the same, both ways.

However, nothing speaks more than actual experience using them. Thanks I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosaic View Post
Thanks a million George. Just what I suspected. I will let it be for a few days, until my first wash, then top it with Natty's Blue.

Another quickie:

Any benefit to 2 or 3 coats of FMJ , each a couple of days apart ?

Or is it sufficient to do one coat of FMJ , then top it after first wash with Natty's Blue (my favorite wax for Jet Black)

Thanks again !
If you wanted to do multiple coats of FMJ, I think it'd be primarily to ensure you have even coverage of the sealant over your entire vehicle. It's not a sealant I found much benefit in increased gloss, slickness, durability from multiple applications. You'd be better off doing 2 or 3 coats of Natty's Blue than FMJ.

Also, if you're topping it with Natty's Blue, there's not much benefit of using HGAS on top. If you were to only use FMJ, then HGAS is a great product to use after maintenance washes to help bring back the surface slickness and extend the durability.

FMJ is so easy to use, even if you only get 3 months of protection out of it, it's cake to apply another coat. Let us know what you think after you get a chance to use it.

Cheers,

George
Appreciate 0