E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Best Suspension for Daily Driver 335xi (E90)

View Poll Results: What suspension should I install?
Eibach Pro Springs with Koni Yellow's 95 31.46%
KW V1 134 44.37%
TC Kline Coilovers 34 11.26%
KW V3 39 12.91%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

12-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #155
BigHoncho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry View Post
Are you talking about the B12 kit? Yes that should be included.
FYI: There is no B12 kit (= Bilstein B8 shocks + Eibach springs) for the coupe (E92), only for the sedan (E90).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #156
BigHoncho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLRBLND View Post
Do the H&R springs fit both rwd and xdrive?
There is part # 29187-4 that fits both coupe (E92) and station wagon (E91) 335i xdrive. Part # 29187-3 is 335i xdrive sedan (E90).

Look it up here: http://www.h-r.com/bin/29187.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:39 AM   #157
antonisbou
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Anyone using Bilstein coilovers B14?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #158
MisterPierce
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335xi 6sp MT M Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [10.00]
Where is the best place to get a deal on KW V1's?
      12-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #159
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPierce View Post
Where is the best place to get a deal on KW V1's?
VRSF
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #160
E90 335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
VRSF
+1

That's where I got mine.

I love my KW V1s... I should have got them from day 1. I didn't listen to advice and tried Sonic Tuning but they were garbage. Switched to KW V1s and never looked back.

For the price difference, it doesn't even make sense to go for an el-cheapo brand. Unless you absolutely take your car to lapping days all the time and really need fine-tuned damping control, go for the V3s, otherwise the KW V1s ride perfectly on the street and the car feels very planted at the track too.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #161
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335xi View Post
+1

That's where I got mine.

I love my KW V1s... I should have got them from day 1. I didn't listen to advice and tried Sonic Tuning but they were garbage. Switched to KW V1s and never looked back.

For the price difference, it doesn't even make sense to go for an el-cheapo brand. Unless you absolutely take your car to lapping days all the time and really need fine-tuned damping control, go for the V3s, otherwise the KW V1s ride perfectly on the street and the car feels very planted at the track too.
how are they with the snow? im also worried about how low they sit in the rear even at the highest setting. im wondering if maybe theres a way to use a 1" longer spring on them or something to get the rear to sit higher then lower it if needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #162
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
+1

That's where I got mine.

Why were they garbage? Just curious.

I have the ST V1 coilovers, I was gonna keep them to clear coat on the body(galvanized) and put anti-seize on the threads(stainless steel) since they're the same as KW V1's.

Last edited by CantCatchMe; 01-06-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #163
E90 335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquehawk5 View Post
how are they with the snow? im also worried about how low they sit in the rear even at the highest setting. im wondering if maybe theres a way to use a 1" longer spring on them or something to get the rear to sit higher then lower it if needed.
Yeah, like... not the most ideal winter setup to be honest.

The rear is at max and there's practically no gap. Front is lowered just a tad to reduce the visual rake. I'll post a pic so you can see.

But I still scrape the lower lip of my bumper pretty easily.

Do I wish I still had stock suspension? Not really. But I do wish I had got an Audi S4 instead of my 335xi so that I would have had a good suspension to begin with and would never have spent money lowering the car.

Not sure about using a different spring than what comes with them. But you can email KW and ask them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #164
E90 335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I have the ST V1 coilovers, I was gonna keep them to clear coat on the body(galvanized) and put anti-seize on the threads(stainless steel) since they're the same as KW V1's.
Just to be clear, Sonic Tuning is not ST (ST is short for Suspension Techniques)... and the ST and KW V1 are essentially the same except KW V1s are stainless steel.

The Sonic Tuning S3 that I had was just bouncy. It rode like crap and decreased confidence in turns; the factory suspension was way better. No matter what height I set them at, no matter what damper setting I used, the front end always felt bouncy and out of control.

I spent so much money with the Sonic Tuning S3 in getting them installed, adjusted, re-adjusted, re-aligned, etc. It was all for nothing, because no matter what I did, they rode very poorly and it made me hate my car. I even set them (after the springs "broke-in" their initial sag) to the exact height recommended by Sonic Tuning... no dice... same crappy ride.

I then had them uninstalled and put on KW V1 and the improvement in ride quality was night & day. No more bounciness, a comfortable yet planted ride that actually inspired confidence in cornering and absorbing bumps mid-corner.

And I can't believe that the price difference between the 2 sets is only $300, give or take. The KW is such a no-brainer over the Sonic Tuning IMO.

I hate to talk poorly about a brand but I've wasted a lot of money trying to make their product work, and in the end, it didn't for me. Your results may vary... so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Where Sonic Tuning redeemed themselves is by giving me support over the phone in making adjustments as well as a refund for sending back the coilovers since nothing else worked nor solved my problems.

They did say however that there's too many complaints online and that they'll be moving the product to a wholesale-only model because the negative publicity is hurting them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #165
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Just to be clear, Sonic Tuning is not ST (ST is short for Suspension Techniques)... and the ST and KW V1 are essentially the same except KW V1s are stainless steel.

The Sonic Tuning S3 that I had was just bouncy. It rode like crap and decreased confidence in turns; the factory suspension was way better. No matter what height I set them at, no matter what damper setting I used, the front end always felt bouncy and out of control.

I spent so much money with the Sonic Tuning S3 in getting them installed, adjusted, re-adjusted, re-aligned, etc. It was all for nothing, because no matter what I did, they rode very poorly and it made me hate my car. I even set them (after the springs "broke-in" their initial sag) to the exact height recommended by Sonic Tuning... no dice... same crappy ride.

I then had them uninstalled and put on KW V1 and the improvement in ride quality was night & day. No more bounciness, a comfortable yet planted ride that actually inspired confidence in cornering and absorbing bumps mid-corner.

And I can't believe that the price difference between the 2 sets is only $300, give or take. The KW is such a no-brainer over the Sonic Tuning IMO.

I hate to talk poorly about a brand but I've wasted a lot of money trying to make their product work, and in the end, it didn't for me. Your results may vary... so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Where Sonic Tuning redeemed themselves is by giving me support over the phone in making adjustments as well as a refund for sending back the coilovers since nothing else worked nor solved my problems.

They did say however that there's too many complaints online and that they'll be moving the product to a wholesale-only model because the negative publicity is hurting them.
I should have made it more clear, but you know what I meant.

Wow that sucks. I'm sorry you wasted so much money to get it right. I just hate that V3's are more for the AWD since I wanted camber plates. Thanks for the information!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #166
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Has anyone tried a new set of stock XI shocks + Eibach springs + E36M/Z4M bump stops for a daily driver?

Just curious, I don't need, nor do I want, something overly aggressive. Getting rid of the wheel gap while retaining the stock handling is enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #167
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Stock struts are designed for the stock travel height. Your car will handle like crap and your struts will wear out quickly. If you go with Eibach springs, then go with Koni struts.
Appreciate 1
cehrl7825.50
      05-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #168
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Eibach Pro Springs with Koni FSD's after two days of settling and about 150 miles if driving.

This is an intermediate setup until I can get Ohlins with Eibach ERS springs. So far I am very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #169
SM335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Eibach Pro Springs with Koni FSD's after two days of settling and about 150 miles if driving.

This is an intermediate setup until I can get Ohlins with Eibach ERS springs. So far I am very pleased.
Looks great! let me know when you are selling
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #170
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM335i View Post
Looks great! let me know when you are selling
Ha! I'll drop a '10 n54 in it before I sell it!
      05-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #171
SM335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Ha! I'll drop a '10 n54 in it before I sell it!
I mean the suspension set-up
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #172
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM335i View Post
I mean the suspension set-up
Oh, yeah! Absolutely. I'm down with that. It'll probably be in the next 5000 miles. I just needed to get through summer with this setup.
      05-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #173
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335xi
Quote:

That sucks. How long did you have the suspension for sonic tuning to give you a refund ? Did you mess with the spring preload ? If that was tampered with then it is said that the suspension will be bouncy
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #174
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive MSport

Never realized so many people complained about the Sonic Tuning coilovers. I took my e92 there and had them install a set a year ago and they've been a big improvement from stock. A bit rougher of a ride than I'd hoped but for the price I didn't have many complaints as a DD. Makes me want to have to have a ride in some V1s and see if they'll be more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #175
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctoRx
Never realized so many people complained about the Sonic Tuning coilovers. I took my e92 there and had them install a set a year ago and they've been a big improvement from stock. A bit rougher of a ride than I'd hoped but for the price I didn't have many complaints as a DD. Makes me want to have to have a ride in some V1s and see if they'll be more comfortable.
Likewise I would like to see the difference as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #176
rosica
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: s2000

Garage List
2001 S2000  [0.00]
2007 333xi  [0.00]
I rolled H&R coil overs for 2 years, more travel than stock, no "pothole explosion" better ride and handling than stock. 2years DD in salty northeast and still no rust or seizing.

Paid <$1500, Can't get better than that.
Attached Images