E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Best Suspension for Daily Driver 335xi (E90)

View Poll Results: What suspension should I install?
Eibach Pro Springs with Koni Yellow's 95 31.46%
KW V1 134 44.37%
TC Kline Coilovers 34 11.26%
KW V3 39 12.91%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

05-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #177
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Is there a need/way to add camber adjustment to the kw v1.

Also mfactory is making coilovers for the xi. The post in on n54tech. They say its about the same as the kw v2. Might give them a shot.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:47 AM   #178
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Is there a need/way to add camber adjustment to the kw v1.

Also mfactory is making coilovers for the xi. The post in on n54tech. They say its about the same as the kw v2. Might give them a shot.
It's on here also: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249786
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #179
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

As far as comfort KW V1> H&R Coilovers

Also H&R Coilovers are galvanized. H&R will ride a bit more stiffer then KW.

IF you are going to get H&R you mine as well get ST V1 since they are cheaper and the ride is more comfortable.

Unless you plan on going with a more sport option, then H&R would be that option for those people.

If you are not Xi I'd go with KW v2. That adjustability in the shocks really makes a differnece in the ride quality.

My E92 RWD was on KW V2, my Xi is on Kw V1.

Although the KW V1 is still good for a DD, it would be nice to tone down the shocks just a hair but overall no regrets.

I don't particularly recommend Spring and shock combos because of the ride height you are stuck with. If you go with a spring and shocks combo, really consider an adjustable shock like koni.

I still weigh heavily towards recommending most folks to a Kw V1.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #180
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

I have the sonic tuning s3 for my 335xi and notice the front to be a little bouncy I drive on New York roads which are horrible. What do you guys recommend as far as the setting for the dampening 5f 10r etc. I have it right now at 6f 10r
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #181
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
As far as comfort KW V1> H&R Coilovers

Also H&R Coilovers are galvanized. H&R will ride a bit more stiffer then KW.

IF you are going to get H&R you mine as well get ST V1 since they are cheaper and the ride is more comfortable.

Unless you plan on going with a more sport option, then H&R would be that option for those people.

If you are not Xi I'd go with KW v2. That adjustability in the shocks really makes a differnece in the ride quality.

My E92 RWD was on KW V2, my Xi is on Kw V1.

Although the KW V1 is still good for a DD, it would be nice to tone down the shocks just a hair but overall no regrets.

I don't particularly recommend Spring and shock combos because of the ride height you are stuck with. If you go with a spring and shocks combo, really consider an adjustable shock like koni.

I still weigh heavily towards recommending most folks to a Kw V1.

im buying the kw v1 in 1 month and id like to know if they will really stiff compared to the stock x drive suspension of my 335i e90 lci ? also should i save more for the kw v3 cause you said you would like to tone down the shocks a bit on the kw v1 but its not possible right ? i have a 1 year old daugther in the back and i wouldnt want the ride to be really firm
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #182
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
im buying the kw v1 in 1 month and id like to know if they will really stiff compared to the stock x drive suspension of my 335i e90 lci ? also should i save more for the kw v3 cause you said you would like to tone down the shocks a bit on the kw v1 but its not possible right ? i have a 1 year old daugther in the back and i wouldnt want the ride to be really firm
The KW V1 is not really stiff compared to stock. In fact, in every which way including comfort they drive better then stock. Stock suspension is not that comfortable. It's bouncy and annoying. The stock suspension doesn't handle bumps well and has a waywardness about it that lacks confidence.

The KW V1 are firmer but it doesn't lack comfort. All of my passengers including myself feel the KW V1 ride better then stock.

If you have the means to splurge for KW V3, it definitely offers more adjustability but I don't think it's necessary.

We sell tons of KW V1's
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #183
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The KW V1 is not really stiff compared to stock. In fact, in every which way including comfort they drive better then stock. Stock suspension is not that comfortable. It's bouncy and annoying. The stock suspension doesn't handle bumps well and has a waywardness about it that lacks confidence.

The KW V1 are firmer but it doesn't lack comfort. All of my passengers including myself feel the KW V1 ride better then stock.

If you have the means to splurge for KW V3, it definitely offers more adjustability but I don't think it's necessary.

We sell tons of KW V1's
its exactly what i think about stock suspension too ! so when i go over bumps with the kw v1 its not bouncy at all if i get it right ? it absorbs it better ? my stock x drive suspension scares me at high speeds when its like im floating on air and moving left to right slightly. also when i go over speed bumps im boucing like a lowrider in a snoop dogg video
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #184
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Quote:
its exactly what i think about stock suspension too ! so when i go over bumps with the kw v1 its not bouncy at all if i get it right ? it absorbs it better ? my stock x drive suspension scares me at high speeds when its like im floating on air and moving left to right slightly. also when i go over speed bumps im boucing like a lowrider in a snoop dogg video
LOL! Quite accurate on how the stock suspension feels, i just installed ST coilovers, still gotta get an alignment and do final adjustments on the height, i was in a rush.

First impression is, the car is finally planted to the road, its stiffer, but nothing too stiff. The high speed floating feeling is gone, squats and nose dives are gone, my shifts are more solid now that the body isnt flying around everywhete.

Me and my passengers dont look like were straight out of Snoop's music video when going over a speedbump, nor do we go side to side in turns.

High speed cornering, turning, straight, all feels better, along with that horrible wheel gap. I had 3.5 finger gap in the rear, and 3 in the front, its just about 1 finger all around now.

I would assume the kw v1 to feel the same. Also at 70k km, my lower upper shock mount was missing on a rear shock, shocks were leaking, the suspension in general was in bad shape.

Its a brand new drive.

Edit: i will be sure to make a thread in a week or so with further impressions and pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #185
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
LOL! Quite accurate on how the stock suspension feels, i just installed ST coilovers, still gotta get an alignment and do final adjustments on the height, i was in a rush.

First impression is, the car is finally planted to the road, its stiffer, but nothing too stiff. The high speed floating feeling is gone, squats and nose dives are gone, my shifts are more solid now that the body isnt flying around everywhete.

Me and my passengers dont look like were straight out of Snoop's music video when going over a speedbump, nor do we go side to side in turns.

High speed cornering, turning, straight, all feels better, along with that horrible wheel gap. I had 3.5 finger gap in the rear, and 3 in the front, its just about 1 finger all around now.

I would assume the kw v1 to feel the same. Also at 70k km, my lower upper shock mount was missing on a rear shock, shocks were leaking, the suspension in general was in bad shape.

Its a brand new drive.

Edit: i will be sure to make a thread in a week or so with further impressions and pics!
thank you for your input. very interesting ! im at 120km now and still on stock suspension all shocks are leaking i really need to replace the suspension asap ! cant wait for your thread
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #186
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kw V1 do not bounce like stock. It stay planted firm and confident. You definitely need an upgrade. Sounds like your stock shocks may even be blown too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #187
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

I think im going to go with catuned coilovers. Anyone have experienced. I can only find one review
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #188
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Kw V1 do not bounce like stock. It stay planted firm and confident. You definitely need an upgrade. Sounds like your stock shocks may even be blown too.
is it harmful for the car if i ride like 1 more month could i possibly lead to something very expensive to repair if my shocks are blown or not really ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #189
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Someone please help me. I cant decied. My car is a daily driver. Im in maryland. I drive like an ass sometimes. Car is tuned and full bolt ons. I also have 19in wheels i think 9 in front 10 in rear. Do i need dampening and camber adjustment? If i do id like to go with mfactory, catuned, bc, or sonictuning. If i dont need those ill go with the kw v1. Please help
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #190
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you need coilovers soon, then ours would not be a good choice as they will be at least a couple months before they are ready.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #191
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Someone please help me. I cant decied. My car is a daily driver. Im in maryland. I drive like an ass sometimes. Car is tuned and full bolt ons. I also have 19in wheels i think 9 in front 10 in rear. Do i need dampening and camber adjustment? If i do id like to go with mfactory, catuned, bc, or sonictuning. If i dont need those ill go with the kw v1. Please help
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #192
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Anyone?
Daily driver? Get the Eibach Pro springs and some Koni FSD's and forget about it. The FSD's are totally fine with the Eibach Pro's.

If they don't have the springs in the US, get them from a supplier in Germany on Ebay.dl

They take about 10-12 days to arrive. That's what I did on my e91 xDrive and it's great. HUGE improvement over stock. I'll replace it with Ohlins once the rest of my projects on the car are done.

When you do the job, replace the upper front strut mounts with the Lemforder ones. You can get both for around $70 and they are better quality that the original ones. If yours have any cracking they are shot, and now is the time to do them.
      06-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #193
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Daily driver? Get the Eibach Pro springs and some Koni FSD's and forget about it. The FSD's are totally fine with the Eibach Pro's.

If they don't have the springs in the US, get them from a supplier in Germany on Ebay.dl

They take about 10-12 days to arrive. That's what I did on my e91 xDrive and it's great. HUGE improvement over stock. I'll replace it with Ohlins once the rest of my projects on the car are done.

When you do the job, replace the upper front strut mounts with the Lemforder ones. You can get both for around $70 and they are better quality that the original ones. If yours have any cracking they are shot, and now is the time to do them.
Do they offer dampening control? Or camber adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #194
LaxIan55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post

Do they offer dampening control? Or camber adjustment?
I have about 25k miles on my BC's that ride great and handle very well. Fully adjustable including camber, no regrets on buying these at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #195
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxIan55 View Post
I have about 25k miles on my BC's that ride great and handle very well. Fully adjustable including camber, no regrets on buying these at all.
I looked into the bc coilovers. Liked what i saw except waarranty. I think im going to go with sonic tuning. Mainly because they are located an hour from me. Still open to other ideas! Anyone have catuned?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #196
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

There are no struts/shocks/coilovers that offer camber control.

Coilovers alter the camber by changing the ride height and thus the camber changes because the suspension geometry changes with relation to the car's ride height. Just as the car's camber changes when the car's suspension is compressed. It not "adjustable," the "change" is directly correlated to the change in ride-height and thereafter fixed relative to that one change.

The adjustment on a coilover is for setting ride height and matching the corner weights on a car (i.e. corner balancing).

If you choose to buy camber plates you have some additional range of true adjust-ability relative to ride height, add adjustable upper control arms to have full control of camber.
      06-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #197
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Actually, from the TC Kline website:

*Camber plates are included with the kit and are highly encouraged to achieve less understeer and increase suspension travel.

So TC doesn't consider his kit complete without plates.

I have the TCK kit on my car and I enjoy it very much. I remember years ago when I had TC install his coilovers on my E36 M3 he was a little disappointed when I brought Vorshlag camber plates to be installed by him because for some reason at the time I believed the Vorshlags were a better solution in that application.

If you're doing coilovers, slap some plates on, it'll handle much better
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #198
XDriver0705
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i XDrive

I see that ST makes coilovers specific for XDrive. Anyone hear if they are any good before I pull the trigger?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0