E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Please post PTF/Protune dyno's

04-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #23
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Really appreciate your effort in digging these up as we're doing a crappy job filing these on our end

When it comes to differences in tuning there can be a number of factors at play. First off we have all sorts of requests when it comes to tuning, more linear power deliver, torquey street tunes, road course tunes where heat management is key so naturally less boost, etc etc. Couple that with differences in ambient conditions, octane quality and type of dyno used as well as our approaches to N55 tuning changing with time you can end up with any number of power delivery combinations out there. This is part of why custom tuning in itself is great. Everyone's got different needs, their octane doesn't match octane that worked well for another guy, someone is at 6000ft altitude while another person is below sea level, etc.

Hope that begins to explain it. At least with us if at any time anyone wants to change their tune around and have it adjusted it is free of any subsequent charges as long as there are no major changes to hardware (e.g. from stock to aftermarket turbo) or octane (e.g. from pump to E85 or race gas or meth).
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I guess I didn't realize that you meant it was a true Custom tune that allows for our input as well.

I expected that it just meant it was a tune suited to the mods/conditions of our specific vehicle and we did not have much of a say in how the power was delivered.

I will have to send a set of logs over to you guys soon, is it just a log of a full 3rd gear pull that you ask for?
      04-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I guess I didn't realize that you meant it was a true Custom tune that allows for our input as well.

I expected that it just meant it was a tune suited to the mods/conditions of our specific vehicle and we did not have much of a say in how the power was delivered.

I will have to send a set of logs over to you guys soon, is it just a log of a full 3rd gear pull that you ask for?
We actually just recently did a road course tune for a track only 1M in Australia that was regulated to 0.95bar peak boost. In Imperial units that's roughly 13psi, and the car is FBO with extensive cooling running 93 octane and it can certainly push quite a bit more than 13psi! Its on our Facebook page along with some other projects we've been working on.

Most people frequenting the forums get fixated way too often on dyno glory numbers and always pushing limits no matter what or how sound the tuning may be at the end of the day. There is a whole different World out there where following internal combustion engine theory, heat management and making sure cars finish actual races are of the utmost importance, more than that last 10-15whp you can get in a glory dyno pull or that massive bottom end torque they'll never get to hit given they're running in the 5-7k rpm range for the most part. Most people, outside of the glory dyno guys which are only a handful to be honest, want consistent reliable tunes that will put the power down day in day out and never worry if they're pushing the car too hard. Leaving that little bit on the table in most cases is the preference for most people from what we've seen so far.

In terms of our remote tuning we typically start with 3rd gear pulls to get most of the tuning done and then finish off with multi-gear pulls for those that don't mind and have the means to do them.

Let us know if any other questions at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Really appreciate your effort in digging these up as we're doing a crappy job filing these on our end

When it comes to differences in tuning there can be a number of factors at play. First off we have all sorts of requests when it comes to tuning, more linear power deliver, torquey street tunes, road course tunes where heat management is key so naturally less boost, etc etc. Couple that with differences in ambient conditions, octane quality and type of dyno used as well as our approaches to N55 tuning changing with time you can end up with any number of power delivery combinations out there. This is part of why custom tuning in itself is great. Everyone's got different needs, their octane doesn't match octane that worked well for another guy, someone is at 6000ft altitude while another person is below sea level, etc.

Hope that begins to explain it. At least with us if at any time anyone wants to change their tune around and have it adjusted it is free of any subsequent charges as long as there are no major changes to hardware (e.g. from stock to aftermarket turbo) or octane (e.g. from pump to E85 or race gas or meth).
Hi, I am really inserted in getting Protune, and I have a question about tunning styles
As you mentioned, people have different requests like: more linear power deliver, torquey street tunes, etc. My question is - do you have a set of default tunning configurations to choice from?
What I mean by that is something like: "DD config" which emphasizes on low end torque vs "AutoX config" which emphasizes on others.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
There are dozens of threads giving reviews on PTF's e-tune for the n55, and dozens of the n54 threads have dyno results included.

I have yet to see any n55 dyno results from a pro-tune or PTF's e-tune.
Hey Josh, I've been meaning to get a dyno done as I recently switched from JB4 to PTF. You are welcome to tag along. Do you know of a good place to get a dyno in Austin?
      07-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
Hey Josh, I've been meaning to get a dyno done as I recently switched from JB4 to PTF. You are welcome to tag along. Do you know of a good place to get a dyno in Austin?
Hmm, the only dyno's I have tried in Austin are the mobile ones. There should be one at cars and coffee.

If you want a more professional job then Aikman Performance up North does dyno but I am not sure what their prices are like.

Let me know when you go though, I would like to join.
      07-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #28
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm, the only dyno's I have tried in Austin are the mobile ones. There should be one at cars and coffee.

If you want a more professional job then Aikman Performance up North does dyno but I am not sure what their prices are like.

Let me know when you go though, I would like to join.
My buddy who had a 'vette (now he has a Holden GTO) has someone in Cedar Park. I'll get the info.
      07-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #29
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Last weekend, I did a 3rd gear pull so that PTF could verify my tune - max 369 ft lbs

07-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #30
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
PTF tune dyno

I dynoed my car at DST Motorsports in Pembroke Pines, FL a little over a month ago . I am pretty happy with the results considering my mods.

2011 BMW 335i E90 AT: Cobb AP with PTF protune, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP and Alpina trans tune. Stock DP and exhaust. 93 octane only with 98 degree humid south Florida heat
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #31
Physics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Here's mine. It was a premature dyno since we weren't on the last revision and since then have added quite a bit more timing. This map is running around E50 but on stock fuel pump. Trims were maxed out, which is why I upgraded to Stage 2 Fuel It! LPFP. Need to dyno again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0