E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335 factory sport suspension, M3 suspension, or after market??

10-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

335 factory sport suspension, M3 suspension, or after market??

I live in ecuador, and just got my 335 cabrio. As u know, it is fast, and although I am still breaking in the motor, the suspension feels pretty solid.

Originally, my dealer told me that because of the uneven road quality here (think NY City streets but about 20% worse) I should NOT order the sport package (18” rims, lower profile tires and sport suspension). Luckily I was able to order the sport seats and paddle shifters separately.

After having driven my 335 for about a week and 200 miles of local roads, I think if my car’s stock suspension handles so, it must be incredible with a “sportier” suspension. I think I WANT A SUSPENSION UPGRADE:

1/ of course, the ultimate decision on what kind of suspension to get may very well depend on price, BUT price aside for a moment, for a daily driver, what do you think:

335 factory sport suspension, M3 suspension, or after market??

1/ the few threads I read indicate that some guys are going with aftermarket thicker sway bars, and sport shocks with coilovers (either H&R or konis).

Remember that the roads here are not great:
since I enjoy the comfort of my current 17” stock rims and stock suspension, and relative comfort of the runflats, I realize that if I do go to 18” rims I should ditch the runflats for a better ride.

2/ can some explain the difference between the stock 335 suspension versus the “sport suspension set up, versus the M3 suspension components.

3/ I am most interested/ my priorities are:
1/ near optimum handling without sacrificing much daily driver comfort.
2/ I would like to keep the current ride height /car clearance similar to my stock set up.
Maybe a ride height “adjustable” system would be a good idea if there is not a crazy cost attached.
3/ do not mind spending some $ but want the best bang for the buck possible.

Please give approx prices for parts and approx labor seperately if possible:
Since I live in Ecuador, I would order all parts online and have my brother in law’s auto shop install any aftermarket parts. If I go with 335 performance suspension, or M3 suspension I would have my local dealer install my upgrade and keep my suspension warrantee.

One last thought, is it possible to upgrade the suspension and keep my beautiful (style 188) stock 17” rims? I mention this because changing out new rims and tires (without touching the suspension will cost $3,000 by itself).

All comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
The new performance suspension is a good choice, and you can keep the stock 17" wheels if you want. Anything you do will lower the car at least a half inch from stock. If you're okay with the feel of the car now, but just want better cornering, upgrade the sway bars-- this makes the biggest improvement from stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I think that you would have been happy with the sport suspension. It is unfortunate that your CA talked you out of it. At this point you could opt for aftermarket coilovers and set them for the highest ride height. I agree that clearance and suspension travel are priorities for you -- avoid lowering. The M-sport sway bars would be an excellent choice as well.

M3 suspension is not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Factory sport is very nice and should give you the comfort you are looking for.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

kw v3 from **********s....:-)
i've had mine for a few days and i'm still shocked at how tight this things feels.
Makes my commutes AND spirited drives way fun!
def the best!
      10-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
i thought all the e92/3s had the sport suspension..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I think that you would have been happy with the sport suspension. It is unfortunate that your CA talked you out of it. At this point you could opt for aftermarket coilovers and set them for the highest ride height. I agree that clearance and suspension travel are priorities for you -- avoid lowering. The M-sport sway bars would be an excellent choice as well.

M3 suspension is not an option.
i do not know very much about suspensions.
i believe the only major components are: sway bars front and rear, and shocks, with coilovers being an option. is this correct?

i know what the shocks and sway bars do, but with coilovers, how much cost / benifit would i get for my: occassional very aggressive street driving and rare track appearances??

1/ i have read but do not know if it is true re coilovers:
a/ ride is more suitable for racing and not a daily driver.
b/ they are very expensive

2/ since i have stock front and rear sway bars, i should definietly try to upgrade to the M sways front and rear. my ride and ride height will not be affected much correct??

2/ although my dealer will be giving me a HEAVY discount for upgrading my entire suspension to ALL M sports suspension components, fitted with total M suspension components will lower my car 15mm.

you are right that not lowering my car in this country is a pretty good benifit, but keeping my suspension 15mm higher than sport: is that going to affect my optimum handling alot?

i noticed in another thread you may be going with the billstien adjustable shocks (for all 4 corners right?). how much will they cost approx?

is it correct to assume the billstiens may be better than the four new M shocks as they would:
a/ help handling just as much as the M shocks, and
b/ AND are also height adjustable. how easy is it to adjust them?

thanks,

’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Coilovers include springs and shocks. A good set (Bilstein PSS9, KWv2) costs about $1500 in USA.

If you can get the full M-sport suspension, I think that would be ideal for your purposes. It would include new front & rear sways, and new springs & shocks. Ride height will be a little lower, as you note (15mm), but that is really trivial in terms of worrying about bottoming out on rocks in the road etc. Your dealer should easily be able to install all the parts, and you will retain your warranty coverage.

Look at this thread for one member's experience with installing the M-sport suspension.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86682
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Coilovers include springs and shocks. A good set (Bilstein PSS9, KWv2) costs about $1500 in USA.

If you can get the full M-sport suspension, I think that would be ideal for your purposes. It would include new front & rear sways, and new springs & shocks. Ride height will be a little lower, as you note (15mm), but that is really trivial in terms of worrying about bottoming out on rocks in the road etc. Your dealer should easily be able to install all the parts, and you will retain your warranty coverage.

Look at this thread for one member's experience with installing the M-sport suspension.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86682
thanks, doc.
btw, i had seen the thread u refer to, it was helpful.

per ur previous suggestion, i think i am going with the M front and rear sways.
but currently i have an occassional problem bottoming out a bit on step garage driveways here.

for that reason, i am leaning away from lowering my car even 15mm, and thinking about height adjustable shocks (keeping my stock suspension height. please advise if i do the M sways and change out the shocks, BUT stay at stock height, will i still have a very noticable improvement in handling.

if i need to spend $1500 i will, but would rather not (i have other mods in mind for later and i am a family man).

is there a good set of height adjustable shocks (not neccessarily expensive coilovers that):
1/ will perform close to good coilovers?
2/ will keep my dialy commutes close to stock comfortable
3/ cost a bit less than $1500 in the U.S.. granted if i have to spend
say $1100 for the above, i might as well go to 1500.
4/ if i need to go to 1500 for coilovers, how is my ride going to be?

i am basically looking for very good handling, comfort, and VALUE.
i have heard a bit about billstiens, kw, konis, but rather than read about them and guess, kindly advise your recommendations.

thanks,
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired

coilshocks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

My recommendation is to go with the whole M package. Suspensions are engineered as an integrated system.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
My recommendation is to go with the whole M package. Suspensions are engineered as an integrated system.
your comment understood and noted.
however, if i do go with the whole M suspension and later i find that i need to raise my front back up 15MM is this possible? or am i totally commited?

if it is possible to raise my front clearance back up 15mm will the handling be noticeably different?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

If you are having problems by lowering your car 15mm, then you should probably have an xi to begin with. There may be spacers that you could use -- pm the experts like Ray and see what they have.
Appreciate 0