E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > fair price for '11 335xi with accident history

06-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Art_Vandelay
Rep
Drives: currently looking

fair price for '11 335xi with accident history

I've been looking at a '11 335i xDrive 6mt with Nav, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Logic 7, pretty much every option available except M-sport. The car has 30k miles, tires about 65% tread.

The snag is that it was in a front-end collision a few months back, which required replacement of the front bumper cover & grills, front lights, radiator, AC condenser, and hood. All parts were OEM. I had the car inspected by a shop specializing in BMWs (not the same place that did the repairs), and everything checked out great other than some minor exhaust valve rattle (unrelated to the accident). The only clue to the accident history was some minor anomalies on the underside of the hood (didn't have a sticker that they have from the factory, hood bolts showed some signs of having been removed and replaced). The shop's words to me were "I'd buy it."

The question is, of course, what price? After some back and forth with the seller, it appears $30,500 is the lowest they will go. Does this seem reasonable, all things considered? I'm on the fence, so just looking for some opinions to help guide my own.

I'm personally not concerned with the accident/repairs per se, given the very positive inspection. However, I am concerned about future resale given that many buyers automatically rule out a vehicle with an accident history, and also the potential for warranty issues (though the general consensus from another thread seems to be that this shouldn't be a major problem outside of the specific parts that were replaced, though one never knows for sure). Any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Shake
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

If you are concerned about future resale value, I'd walk away from this one. These cars are difficult to sell with accident history, especially impact in the front. At $30.5k, it seems like you are only getting a $3,500 discount off kbb for the accident.

It's interesting that the previous owner is trying to get rid of the car just a few months after the accident.

Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown | N52 | LCI
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Art_Vandelay
Rep
Drives: currently looking

Thanks. That was my thinking as well, although I have to admit I was kinda hoping there would be a resounding response that I was being overly concerned about it. But, as nice as it would be to have my car search concluded and be able to begin enjoying a 335, I don't want to regret it when it comes time to resell. Even worse, I figure that if it gets into another accident while in my possession, no matter how minor, selling a car with TWO accidents on its record is likely to be nearly impossible without a ridiculously large discount. Sad to say, but it looks like my search must go on.

As for the seller parting with the car so soon after an accident, I suspect they are trying to get rid of it quickly before the accident shows up on CarFax.
Appreciate 0