E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Please advise on my procedure/products

05-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Please advise on my procedure/products

Hi guys, I just got a JB 335i and I'm trying to figure out what my detailing procedure will be for the next year or so.

My constraints:

- I'll probably only have time to wash the car every 2 weeks or so
- I'm a complete newb. I've washed/waxed cars before, but have never used clay, polish (or polisher), or sealant. I'll probably be washing/waxing/polishing by hand to start and eventually wandering into clay/polish in the next 6 mo-1 yr as I have more time.
- I'm trying to keep the total cost of stuff I buy this first round under $200.

I've read a lot of the posts in the forum, and was thinking about doing the following:

1) Buy the wash and dry starter kit from DI (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...-Package-P148/) and wash per their instructions

2) Buy either Jetseal or Klassee AIO for protection (do either come with an applicator, or do I need to buy one separately? If separately, please recommend one from DI that I can use by hand)

3) Get a quick detailer to use in between washes and to get rid of bird droppings, bug smear, etc. I'm thinking either Poorboy's Spray and Wipe, Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer, or CG Speed Wipe Quick Detailer

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboy...y-Wipe-SW-P32/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...Enhancer-P286/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...Detailer-P213/

4) For wheels, P21S Total Auto Wash + MF cloths (Costco sells a 50 pack for $30) to get the grime off. If I get JetSeal, I guess I'll use that as the wheel sealant (can I use Klasse AIO on my wheels as a sealant?).

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...Auto-Wash-P87/

5) Is there anything else I should think about (given my constraints)

6) Can anyone recommend a professional detailer in SoCal that would be willing to detail my car in about a year (wash, clay, polish, remove swirls, etc)? I saw the results of work done by FMINUS and just

Thanks for everyone's input!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

I would say you are on the right track. Detailed image is a great site. you probably should get an aplicator get a few just in case you drop one or it gets contaminated. Poorboys QD+ is worth a look as a quick detailer. you didnt mention an LSP so i would say get the Poorboys Natty Blue. check out my recent detail using a lot of the products from detailed image.....no polish this time and im no pro. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255931

Good Luck
      05-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
+1 You are on the right track. Read the Detailing 101 sticky on this forum, too. Do you have a bucket? It looks like that's not part of the DI starter kit. Look for a 5-gallon bucket from Autozone, PEP Boys, etc. Don't re-use some old bucket you've been mopping the floor with. Actually, buy two buckets. You'll need two. Get a spray nozzle for your hose, too.

Best of luck. This is an addictive hobby.
      05-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
kei169
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I guess you are in the right track. Washing is the fundermental part of maintenance, don't underestimate its power.
I would add a clay bar in your kit, as well as the ONR that DI sell as a clay lube. So your routine can be, wash, clay and LSP.
you can pm Fminus, his working has been absolutely stunning, as well as the products he uses......

he is in Socal as well, u might as well PM him for a quote!

Also, be sure to read the 101 post, it helps a lot!
just my 20 cents, hope it helps,
Kei
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

DI has the Poorboys wheel wax. Makes things a LOT easier down the road to get some of that on now.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
DI has the Poorboys wheel wax. Makes things a LOT easier down the road to get some of that on now.
Agreed. I'll admit I was a little skeptical at first but the stuff is great. Well worth the time it takes to apply and the money.

Your list is looking good though, definitely on the right track. I bought the 50 pack from Costco too, they're good towels but be sure to wash them and pull the tags off before using. You'll need a couple of larger, more absorbent, high quality MF waffle weave towels for drying purposes (which come in the kit).

Don't go too crazy on the QD in between washes, it's certainly no substitute for a wash and you may do more harm than good especially on JB. Try some ONR if you need to do a real quick wash.

As twinturboa51 suggested, Natty's Blue is an awesome bargain wax for JB. I would definitely start with that for your wax.

Oh, and check out some of the other JB details in this forum - recent ones by FMINUS and Toad, both came out stunning. You can learn a lot by reading and looking at these threads.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

awesome! thanks for the tips! i guess i'll just have to add natty's blue and wheel wax to the list and Ill be good to go (for now).

Two more quick q's:

1) What's with the taping on the car in Toad's post? Do I need to do that before waxing or something?

2) Is this the poorboy's wheel wax/sealant you guys were referring to?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

1) its not neccessary but it prevents the wax from getting on the trim which is a pita to remove.
2)thats the one
      05-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #9
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

Okay, after getting input from you guys (thanks!), here is my revised list. Please double check for me before I order (will probably place an order on Monday or Tuesday):

1) Buy the wash and dry starter kit from DI and wash per their instructions. Buy 2 buckets.

2) Buy Jetseal and some extra applicator pads (what are the two different sides for?) Put on a couple coats of Jet Seal and follow up with Natty's Blue

3) For wheels, P21S Total Auto Wash + MF cloths to get the grime off. Then follow up with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant

4) Get Poorboy's Spray & Wipe QD to use in between washes and to get rid of bird droppings, bug smear, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
1) What's with the taping on the car in Toad's post? Do I need to do that before waxing or something?
Most only tape the car up if they're doing a polish or paint correction with the Orbital. Might be handy to leave on for the wax (not sure if people do?) but I wouldn't tape it up just for a wax - it takes forever! And with some care it's easy to avoid trim pieces while waxing.

As far as the pads, not sure what the different sides are for on that one. I use the standard yellow ones for wax. With the NB wax, make sure you dampen the pad with water before you start. You might need a little QD on your MF cloth for easier removal too.

Looking good!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0