E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Air blower broke

09-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Air blower broke

The plastic bit on my passenger side blower near the window has snapped off. I aren't that bothered as it's pointing at the window anyway, but just wondered if anyone knows how to clip it back on. I can't be bothered to book it in the dealers for a morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
The plastic bit on my passenger side blower near the window has snapped off. I aren't that bothered as it's pointing at the window anyway, but just wondered if anyone knows how to clip it back on. I can't be bothered to book it in the dealers for a morning.
Might help with a photo of the broken pastic bit, but it sounds like you have broken something off your vent. If the plastic is snapped, then you could try to glue it, but it's a bit delicate area and heat from the vents may make the glue soft.
A new vent unit is about £35 and is fairly easy to swap. All you need are some trim tools to pullout the dash trim. It's stuck on with pins so you can pry it straight out. Just be a bit careful around the centre vents as the wire on the hazard light is a bit short. There are plenty of guides how to do this from people carbon wrapping the trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply and I've attached a photo. This is the drivers side which is okay, but it's the silver bit in the middle that's come off.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...igtime/fan.jpg

I am useless at DIY type things but I could ask a mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
Thanks for the reply and I've attached a photo. This is the drivers side which is okay, but it's the silver bit in the middle that's come off.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...igtime/fan.jpg

I am useless at DIY type things but I could ask a mate.
ok, sounds like the entire slider with the silver bit has come off. I have highlighted it in red below.

Name:  IMG_8736_selection.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  46.8 KB

From looking at the vent it looks to be somehow clipped in from the back, so it's able to slide horizontally, but I didn't want to break anything on my spare to figure out how it's clipped in. The important bit here is really if it's just come loose because it wasn't properly clipped in or if some of the plastic tabs has come off. If the plastic tabs are broken, then you maybe need to buy a new vent. Glueing it may be a possibility, but you need to use miniscule amounts to avoid glueing it to the slats.

This is a pic of the other side:
Name:  IMG_8739 - cropped.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  58.8 KB

To get the vent off you have to remove the trim. See the "PASSENGER’S SIDE AND MAIN AIR VENT TRIM" section in the link below:
http://www.e90post.com/forums//print...t=137527&pp=40
or
http://www.e90post.com/forums//showp...6&postcount=17
That should give you an idea how to get the vent off.

Steps 2-5 in the following guide should help you take the vent apart to see if it's something you can fix.
http://www.p3cars.com/files/vg-install.pdf

Just take your time and don't use too much force!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give it some thought but I might just leave it until service time.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
arthymian
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 318d Touring 08

Hey, did you find any solution for that?

I have the same problem this weekend... still can't figure out how im i going to fix the front slider... (It jumped off).

I'm like "this is a 3 year old bimmer and it happened so easily!" Damn! My old renaul got is air sliders in perfect shape for 15 years... :\

Well can i find it (slider) on sale somewhere?
It has the rear left side broken holder...

Pardon my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthymian View Post
Hey, did you find any solution for that?

I have the same problem this weekend... still can't figure out how im i going to fix the front slider... (It jumped off).

I'm like "this is a 3 year old bimmer and it happened so easily!" Damn! My old renaul got is air sliders in perfect shape for 15 years... :\

Well can i find it (slider) on sale somewhere?
It has the rear left side broken holder...

Pardon my bad english.
You can't just buy the slider; you have to replace the entire vent. Do you still have the slider part that broke off or have you lost that?

If you have the slider part you may be able to glue it, and the P3Cars instructions I posted above may help take the vent apart, but a new vent is around £35 so this might be an easier option.

This may help you with the part numbers from your local dealer, but check if you are happy with the instructions on how to take the trim that holds the vents off.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...ning/air_duct/

There should be multiple DIYs floating around from the carbon wrapping and trim replacement threads.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
antonreality
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Had the same problem but broke both Driver vents. I used a modified Curtain insert (adjust so it fits the vertical slot width). I worked the modified tool so I could slip it in, aligned and put slight presssure (pulling towards me) and snapped them back in. However on the Driver side right vent (middle vents), I noticed the tiny metal piece was broken so it could pop out again. It works functionally. Just gotta make sure it I don't pull too hard.

Can't believe BMW would cheap out on the vent sliders. Of all the cars I've ever owned, this has never happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
antonreality
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Anyone know if there are cheap aftermarket vent sliders ? Like something you could get from a Walmart ?
Appreciate 0