E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i/d Can you boys put the power down?

01-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

335i/d Can you boys put the power down?

Afternoon chaps,

I had a somewhat interesting run in with a 35d this morning on the way to work. Was around 4:30 am in the pouring rain. Location was country roads and industrial areas.

So I was driving along swiftly I would say and caught up a grey 35d SE who was cruising along. As I came up behind up him about 3/4 car lengths I would say he and floored it.

I enjoy a good run into work so I followed suit at a safe distance, given the conditions, area and the fact I didn't know the guy. Now I have reason to believe the guy was mapped as he just couldn't get the power down effectively at all. The fast in and fast out corners he managed to keep up some decent speed but those slow in and fast out corners and he was losing traction at such low speeds?

I have never driven a 35d let alone a mapped one, so I cant possibly know, but I assume that it was mapped? Standard cant be that undriveable can it?

Lastly was it you?

Near Ansty GU59 ***

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Lack of decent suspension and ultimately lack of a proper Differential.

I had a bit of fun with a 911 GT variant this morning...

Temp was 1.5c and roads dampish, DSC/TC fully disabled.. Modulating throttle out of roundabouts with some fish tailing and pulled away from the 996. Not massively but cleanly away. He flashed and thumbed up afterwards. The E46 M3 does put its power down effectively.

In the wet the 335d with a map is crap with stability systems enabled because it strangles it like a murderer and with it off (how I ran mine) would spin just the inside or then both let go but wallow on the sport suspension then suddenly bite hard wih grip etc.
      01-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yeah, in the wet, it's all rubbish...std or mapped...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

Temp was 1.5c and roads dampish, DSC/TC fully disabled.. Modulating throttle out of roundabouts with some fish tailing and pulled away from the 996. Not massively but cleanly away. He flashed and thumbed up afterwards. The E46 M3 does put its power down effectively.

In the wet the 335d with a map is crap with stability systems enabled because it strangles it like a murderer and with it off (how I ran mine) would spin just the inside or then both let go but wallow on the sport suspension then suddenly bite hard wih grip etc.
Toretto!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

Makes sense mate, could be a number of things or a combination of all. One thing is for sure though is that he wouldve been quicker in a golf or a scirrocco I am sure of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Toretto!!!!!!
Yep! thats our Carl

Kev you drive with the trac off, would you say in rainy conditions the stock map is faster than modified?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Yep! thats our Carl

Kev you drive with the trac off, would you say in rainy conditions the stock map is faster than modified?
hmmm...very hard to tell...as there's other factors to consider...such as the tyres...

When I was stock, I had the shitty runflats on.

Then JB Plus was with rft and vreds.

And now, Cobb and vreds.

The tyres make a big difference, especially in the wet.

I would say, in the wet getting off the line fast is very very hard. I have mini vans "keeping up" to 30mph with me....maybe it's because i drive with the traction fully off and don't apply the correct throttle input? But no matter how hard i've been trying/ practising for the past few years...i always get wheel spin and the rear end moves about. Std and mapped.

I think the lack of an lsd plays something into it aswell....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

I could barely pull away from a clio 197 cup last week, up a steep, badly surfaced, streaming wet road. I had dtc on one quick press, but was in 2nd gear and I fairly wheel spun and snaked up the tarmac.

Im currently running cobb stage 2+ aggressive, and eibach springs. Without the appropriate differential wet weather means even a mildly tuned 335i or 335d is going to struggle in lower gears.

Really need to get that M3 diff & subframe out of the garage and onto my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Mines crap at the minute as its on winter tyres.. I don't even bother, it's even worse in the corners!

But before I put winters on and was running a decent tyre I never had any issues putting power down (standard car) (never use less than 3rd)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
I enjoy a good run into work so I followed suit at a safe distance, given the conditions, area and the fact I didn't know the guy. Now I have reason to believe the guy was mapped as he just couldn't get the power down effectively at all. The fast in and fast out corners he managed to keep up some decent speed but those slow in and fast out corners and he was losing traction at such low speeds?
Mapped or not AP,low temps,wet roads,the Guy,if he had any sense, was probably trying to keep out of the hedges/fields

If he was on runflats the car would be skipping all over the place,traction would be virtually non existent,and given the roads around there,a E46 M3 would be all over a 335D,so it's hardly surprising.

Did you take him eventually? Or did you bottle it,you big woos

Where were you heading? Some cracking roads down that way

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Mapped or not AP,low temps,wet roads,the Guy,if he had any sense, was probably trying to keep out of the hedges/fields

If he was on runflats the car would be skipping all over the place,traction would be virtually non existent,and given the roads around there,a E46 M3 would be all over a 335D,so it's hardly surprising.

Did you take him eventually? Or did you bottle it,you big woos

Where were you heading? Some cracking roads down that way
I came up beside him and he turned off heading towards Hurstpier
I was heading into Burgess Hill. Yes there are some cracking roads around here, especially between Keymer and Brighton. On a side note We are due Snow Hotcoupe Sun eve mon/tues. Can you shed anymore light on this? I have been holding out selling the Cades for this very reason Snow time winter tyre fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

These cars can be driven very quickly in most conditions. However you have to moderate your driving style, that's what probably made the difference. Mapped or not, the amount of torque a 35d generates is enough to light the tyres on most surfaces, wet greasy or not.

I was amazed at how much under steer you could induce on a big oil burning 3er, get things right and they handle pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
These cars can be driven very quickly in most conditions. However you have to moderate your driving style, that's what probably made the difference. Mapped or not, the amount of torque a 35d generates is enough to light the tyres on most surfaces, wet greasy or not.

I was amazed at how much under steer you could induce on a big oil burning 3er, get things right and they handle pretty well.
Firstly Mart long time!!! How you been?
Secondly the M sport set up is quite understeery from factory, understeer followed by snap oversteer.
Thirdly 100% agree on throttle modulation.
Fourth and finally.... For the record I would like to state that I was driving within the speed limit at all times, and in no way was driving in a manner that was prohibited on public roads. I would also like to add that the thread is in no way designed to encourage dangerous driving on public roads or any other roads. Should I call my lawyer?

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I came up beside him and he turned off heading towards Hurstpier
I was heading into Burgess Hill. Yes there are some cracking roads around here, especially between Keymer and Brighton. On a side note We are due Snow Hotcoupe Sun eve mon/tues. Can you shed anymore light on this? I have been holding out selling the Cades for this very reason Snow time winter tyre fun.
I thought the snow was due late Mon,just some light stuff mind,but that will change,and it might come earlier/later/never,your/my guess will be as good as that of the Met office

You have winter tyres on the Cades?
Far more fun on summers

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I thought the snow was due late Mon,just some light stuff mind,but that will change,and it might come earlier/later/never,your/my guess will be as good as that of the Met office

You have winter tyres on the Cades?
Far more fun on summers
Hmm exactly, I decided against running winters this year as its just been too mild. The cades are tucked up running Corsas and the winters are stacked unmounted. If it wasnt for you my garage would be emtpy of tyres and wheels, you with your handbag and shoes comments

Saw the pics of the Bilsteins. Ian that Stance is perfect. End.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Have a Quaife diff/Ebiach ARBs/M3 bushes, still the TC wants to cut in when running JB4 on map 5 in 3rd gear on a damp road...hence for the last 2 months I've be running it on the stock map and rarely take it about 4Krpm. Saving the tyres for the summer
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

My Emapped d tries to spin the wheels at 70 when hooning up a slip road to join the Mway. Traction kicks in a lot.
Going to play around with it though and try it turned off or maybe the I between setting. Haven't had much time just to drive it properly yet, it's either on the way to work or the GF is with me and she's less appreciative of spirited driving.....
      01-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Firstly Mart long time!!! How you been?
Secondly the M sport set up is quite understeery from factory, understeer followed by snap oversteer.
Thirdly 100% agree on throttle modulation.
Fourth and finally.... For the record I would like to state that I was driving within the speed limit at all times, and in no way was driving in a manner that was prohibited on public roads. I would also like to add that the thread is in no way designed to encourage dangerous driving on public roads or any other roads. Should I call my lawyer?

Police do check forums!

But, it's a bit more relaxed on here! On the Type R forum, no one would say anything about "spirited" driving or who they smoked!....and if someone said anything about going 5 miles above the speed limit, they would get a Nando's flaming!....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm exactly, I decided against running winters this year as its just been too mild. The cades are tucked up running Corsas and the winters are stacked unmounted. If it wasnt for you my garage would be emtpy of tyres and wheels, you with your handbag and shoes comments

Saw the pics of the Bilsteins. Ian that Stance is perfect. End.

What tyres you running on the M3?

Does she slide like a young biatch who's just seen Harry Styles in a jacuzzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Have a Quaife diff/Ebiach ARBs/M3 bushes, still the TC wants to cut in when running JB4 on map 5 in 3rd gear on a damp road...hence for the last 2 months I've be running it on the stock map and rarely take it about 4Krpm. Saving the tyres for the summer
You never told me you had all those mods Fella,you could have taken me out for a blast

Quote:

Police do check forums!
But, it's a bit more relaxed on here!
Just as well Kev,or you'd have been banged up yrs ago ,and it wouldn't have just been the porridge that was making your jaksey red raw

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

You never told me you had all those mods Fella,you could have taken me out for a blast

Just as well Kev,or you'd have been banged up yrs ago ,and it wouldn't have just been the porridge that was making your jaksey red raw

LOL....I'm a changed man now Ian...after my little incident of last time...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Hahaha . I have been switching between the 18 OEM they are on the orginal contis and the CSL reps which are on those trusty Yokos which people do not seem to be liking.

Give me some time mate, the offer of a spin still stands. You can see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
LOL....I'm a changed man now Ian...after my little incident of last time...
Which incident. I have noticed your not your usual self these days. News years resolution?
Appreciate 0