E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Disc Brake Shimmy

01-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Front Disc Brake Shimmy

I appear to have given my five month old BMW Performance Brakes deposits or warped the disc. This happened recently and I'm not sure how so don't think it is from overheating. From reading some documents online from stoptech I've learned that using a new set of agressive/high performance pads and rebedding them can scour of these deposits and then I could switch back to the old pads.

My question is twofold.

1) What pads should I use with the BMW Performance Brake Kit Calipers to "clean the rotor". I read some about Hawk racing pads etc..

2) What rotors would be a good recommendation for the same kit (I can't find the individual part numbers on the rotors in my paperwork when I purchased the entire kit/package)

thanks..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Usually you can see the pad deposits on the rotors. How are you diagnosing that you have brake pad deposits or wrapped disc? Are you feeling a vibration under braking?

Also if you have wrapped disc the more aggressive pads are not going to fix the problem. You will need new rotors or if they can be cut within spec that can be done too.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Shimmy under braking and it hasn't gone away when I attempted to re-bed them. They are six month old slotted/drilled rotors and its winter so it cannot be "warped" unless the metal is defective. I'm going to try to find the time to sand them with garnet paper when I get a chance but I need to find a place where I can raise the car and do it. I hear the hawk blues would do it just nicely, but I'd have to be aware that they will require serious pushing to stop when they are cold and not at operating temp. But I'm the only driver and educated about it so its not a risk during the "emergency stop".
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
1romero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Brake vibes can be caused by a number of things. im sure you are not going to want to hear it but 90 % of the time its the rotors that have to much run out. Run-out can be checked with a dial indicator. if they are out of spec they will need to be resurfaced. and yes slotted/ drilled rotors can be cut. Anything from repeative braking to one hard time braking can cause them to "warp"
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
1romero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

To add if you do have deposits , resurfacing the rotors will cut away the deposits and is half of the price of new pads and head ache of trial and error
Appreciate 0