E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iPhone 5....

09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #45
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
I will get it because I didn't get the 4s and stuck with my 4. This will be a bigger upgrade for me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #46
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Holograms.

Mfukers want to R2D2 a bitch on the wall at any given time.

People want to be wowed by apple every year and after all the bashing on apple dies down, they will still quietly go into an apple store and quietly buy one. lol

*Mint VZW razr maxx for sale*
Well if the consumers would actually grow tired of the UI or whatever else, and stop buying the product, maybe Apple would actually start trying to find the next clever package.... But as long as the sheep keep bleating and buying the phone in the numbers they do, this is what we will get, year-in and year-out...

And honestly it's up to the competition to force Apple's hand in that regard. But the competition isn't doing so well right now so Apple can sit on their laurels.
Well, research indicates (not from Apple) that approx 200 million iPhones will be sold be year end 2013. So sheep or not, Apple must be doing something right to ring up the sales!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

I love how some people cannot grasp how much R&D it takes just to alter the iPhone one iota from its predecessor. It takes quite a bit of effort. There is so much behind the scenes we as consumers forget or overlook. I believe this phone alone has over 100 new features while being longer, lighter and thinner. I mean, c'mon. That's like someone not being impressed by a meal a chef slaved over all morning to prepare for his/her guests. Somewhere in the middle we all forget what it took to create a final product.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #48
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
This reminds me of the AMD versus Intel arguments back in the day, where people would use stock peak clock speeds as a lone measure of what was "faster" when in fact clock-for-clock Intel wiped the floor with them.

Look, Apple can optimize their code for a very limited set of hardware. This leads to greater efficiency which leads to not having to waste power on specs that aren't needed to run as fast and as smooth as Android on much more hungry hardware....

People need to stop staring at spec sheets and use those as a gauge of how the phone performs. Those are a halfway decent place to start, but you could have super awesome hardware in a phone and have it be a moot point if it leaks and freezes and just generally trips all over itself.... Plain and simple, iOS does not need anywhere near the same hardware specs to keep up with perceived performance on the user level. Add to that the fact that the grubby carriers insist on saddling the Android phones with crappy bloatware, and the manufacturers add their terrible, buggy, laggy, POS UIs on top of them, and it doesn't matter if you're using the flagship processor from the year 2050, it's not going to keep up.
Windows phones are great in that regard.

iPhone 5 was a letdown and you're starting to see the commoditization of touch phones .
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #49
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

this is so true..
Attached Images

09-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #50
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

f this.. im gettin a jb4 and dci over this damn iphone 5 haahaha
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #51
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws
I love how some people cannot grasp how much R&D it takes just to alter the iPhone one iota from its predecessor. It takes quite a bit of effort. There is so much behind the scenes we as consumers forget or overlook. I believe this phone alone has over 100 new features while being longer, lighter and thinner. I mean, c'mon. That's like someone not being impressed by a meal a chef slaved over all morning to prepare for his/her guests. Somewhere in the middle we all forget what it took to create a final product.
You are correct. Those ragging the iPhone haven't a clue what it takes to engineer and bring a product to market. They expect tomorrow's technology today. Well, news flash, tomorrow's technology doesn't exist. AND, it takes a while to work that latest technology into a design, and test it. I think Apple has done well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #52
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

They have $100 billion in cash, you would think they can come up with something better than this. Or at least sell it at a lower cost. Its insane to see the iPhone 5 cost $100 more on contract than the Galaxy S3 even though the specs are almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
They have $100 billion in cash, you would think they can come up with something better than this. Or at least sell it at a lower cost. Its insane to see the iPhone 5 cost $100 more on contract than the Galaxy S3 even though the specs are almost identical.
Apple has 3 generations of iPhones selling for less. Go buy those. I'm pissed the '12 911 starts at $94k, too, and they're one of the most profitable car companies on the planet. Should I bitch?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #54
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster
Well, perhaps they are shooting for $200 billion in cash. They must be doing something right, being the highest valued company in the world!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Im just disappointed its not water proof. thats my only complaint.

As for the people who complains its not wider have you ever held a wide phone like the droid razr? its so awkward, it just doesn't fit your hand
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #56
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Great upgrade from my 3GS...
      09-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #57
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

What were people hoping for, exactly? This seems like a sensible upgrade. The only thing that pisses me off about iphones is the lack of an SD slot just so they can charge an extra $100 for a little more storage.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #58
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
What were people hoping for, exactly? This seems like a sensible upgrade. The only thing that pisses me off about iphones is the lack of an SD slot just so they can charge an extra $100 for a little more storage.
If they have external memory slot. I'm sure Apple will come up with their own unique memory card. They will always want to differentiate themselves with products in the market.

They might call it "iCard".
      09-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #59
Ryan_T
Prospective Lurker
Canada
Rep
Drives: B8 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
Im just disappointed its not water proof. thats my only complaint.

As for the people who complains its not wider have you ever held a wide phone like the droid razr? its so awkward, it just doesn't fit your hand
I think this is gonna be a big thing to have in the future. If you look at ALL the mobile devices available out there today, Apple is best positioned to do this, they have the least amount of openings/access points for water. The glass can be easily sealed, just have to worry about the plugs and speakers.
      09-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #60
Spitfirocks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 07

I love my Jelly Bean Nexus. The Iphone is too simple for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #61
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Other new features include additional and enhanced microphones so you can use Siri better. The speakers are upgraded, as are the redesigned ear phones. Also, the iOS 6 Map looks pretty epic. It has full 3d bird view, and offline turn-by-turn navigation!!! GPS companies like Garmini and Navtec are effed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #62
A/J
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G22 M440I on order

wouldve liked some interesting new hardware changes..

- xenon flash on the back and perhaps an led one on the front (..a bit crazy maybe)
- Dab radio - not sure it can be done but would be cool
- Hd Voice for call quality
- Finger print recognition home button

that said the improvements are cool (especially like voice controlled navigation) ...will def be getting one.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The only ones who complain are those who upgraded from the 4 to the 4s. Overall the 5 is a large improvement over the 4.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #64
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
Well, research indicates (not from Apple) that approx 200 million iPhones will be sold be year end 2013. So sheep or not, Apple must be doing something right to ring up the sales!!!
Yeah they are doing something right. They're releasing a product and pushing the agenda that it's the best off the shelf smartphone for the average user. As long as they can keep people thinking that, through whatever method they choose, then they will still sell them regardless of what the competition is offering. They have the trendiness and "it" factor going for them, which is going to really make it hard for competitors to force Apple to adapt and take revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary steps in packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Windows phones are great in that regard.

iPhone 5 was a letdown and you're starting to see the commoditization of touch phones .
Yeah WP7.* isn't that great, but it's really easy to get around and very snappy. The UI will work a lot better with WP8, and with the wider variance in tile size, you'll be able to put enough tiles on your homescreen to not need the alphabetical list at all. Pattern recognition with the new tile format will be very very welcome. Plus they took care of a few painfully missing features which were limitations of the CE kernel in WP7 I believe. WP8 will be very good, and they've got some phones coming out that are going to be of high build quality (namely the Lumia 920 at the moment). The tile approach, if done right, can be a unique alternative to the pages of widgets or icons. I think Apple even said something somewhat congratulatory about the Lumia 900 being unique, which was odd. I never thought I'd hear them applauding a competitor's efforts. Anyway, it'll be pretty much impossible to convince enough people that WP8 and M$ are "cool" enough, so I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't see WP as a threat. However, regardless of how they sell, it looks like WP8 and the 920, plus some of the other announced devices, could be really great.

And oh, M$ and Apple most likely will never get marred in this patent shit in the cell phone market. So sick of that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #65
sjk9671
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Did anyone notice that the 5 is not global like the 4s? The 4s has both CDMA and GSM bands. The 5 you can only have one or the other.
      09-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #66
CoconutPete
Coconut Pete's paella!
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The IPhone 5 could have a built in microwave, vacuum cleaner, have a 10TB hard drive, pop-out wheels to double as a roller skate and the ability to microwave your dinner and project 2Pac holograms 500 feet away and people would still be bitching and saying "I can't believe that's all it does, the Androids are so much better" Well ...... it's a free world .... buy a d@mn Android!!!!!
Appreciate 0